X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • valdorabuild
    • Nov 2016

3 phase hybrid inverter on the market??

Hi all,

Just joined the forum and looking for some helpful info and ideas. Currently in the process of building a new shed that will have 3-phase power supplied to it and I would like to install a 3-phase hybrid solar PV system. There seems to be many single phase hybrid inverters and many 3-phase non hybrid inverters but not many 3-phase hybrid inverters to choose from. The only one I know of is made by Fronius but apparently the Fronius inverter will only accept Fronius batteries? Is this true? The system will have around 6kW worth of panels running a 5kW inverter. I should also note that I do not want to go down the path a single phase inverter on one of the 3- phases. Also should mention that batteries will be installed at a later date. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Hello Eric and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. I think we need to understand your requirements. I assume you already live on the property and the grid is connected? I assume you need three phase to run large loads like a welder or big Air Con units? If so would it be cheaper to use a genny if 3 phase is only required occasionally.

The bit about Fronuis inverter only accepting fronuis batteries sounds like BS to me.

Here is a system we did at my brothers place in the Adelaide Hills, he does own a solar install company otherwise its very over the top.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

We used Kaco inverters with selelectronics SPPro, and would never do it like that again, we had issues with the SPPro's and the company were an absolute disgrace to work with when we discovered an issue, so dont go there. At the time the SMA offerings didnt suit us, but I think if we were to do that one again we would down size it a bit and go with SMA Sunny Islands.

I think you should start reading up in the forums and come back to us perhaps with some more info on why the system needs to be what you seem to think it needs to be, iof that makes sence

Comment

• valdorabuild
      • Nov 2016

Hi Pete and thanks for the reply. Currently not living on the property but will be building a 12m x 16m shed soon (where the PV system will live) and I intend to live in the shed for probably 12 - 24 months while we build our new home next door. We have a 3 phase supply on the street (60m away), I intend to bring that up to the shed underground. I need 3-phase in the shed for various welders, lathes machines etc and since I have 3-phase there I thought I might as well pay the extra to bring it to the house a short distance away so we can run a 3-phase aircon as well as having some redundancy in the event that we loose one of the phases in the street. The 5kW is probably oversized for us at the moment but it will give us room to grow as kids will probably come along within the next few years.

Like I mentioned before, batteries will not go on at the moment but down the track when they become cheaper and better I will definitely consider them hence the hybrid inverter!

PS I couldn't get your link to work and yes I will def read up a bit more on old posts etc.

Cheers again!

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by valdorabuild
        Like I mentioned before, batteries will not go on at the moment but down the track when they become cheaper and better I will definitely consider them hence the hybrid inverter!
        Be very careful to check with the manufacturer. Most if not all hybrid inverters will not work as simple grid tie inverters if you try to leave out the battery bank.
        With SMA you could get the SunnyBoy units and run them standalone until you are ready to add the SunnyIsland(s) and battery bank.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

for 3 phase hybrid, you need 3 - single phase units tied together with a control cable. Each will need it's own battery bank, or maybe they would share a single large one,
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

You have commercial power, Why on earth would you want a Hybrid Inverter, solar and batteries for? Are you rich and like throwing money away?
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• valdorabuild
              • Nov 2016

Thanks for feedback inetdog, I was unaware that most hybrid units would not run without the battery bank, very good to know indeed! I will check out the sunny island inverters.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by valdorabuild
                Thanks for feedback inetdog, I was unaware that most hybrid units would not run without the battery bank, very good to know indeed! I will check out the sunny island inverters.
                The SunnyIsland inverters definitely require a battery bank, and they cannot be used to put out power while connected to the grid. They can only output power when their internal transfer switch is open to isolate them from the grid.
                But the way SMA configures a hybrid system is to combine one or more each of SunnyIsland inverters with pure grid tie SunnyBoy inverters. The SBs can used with trhe SIs taking the place of the grid. What makes it practical for SMA's configuration is that the SBs can have their outputs proportionally throttled back from maximum by the SIs when the PV is producing more power than can be used locally while islanded. The SIs do this by varying the output frequency from the nominal value.
                Last edited by inetdog; 11-15-2016, 05:11 AM.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...