X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofien
    • Nov 2016

EpSolar 60A/24v/36v/48v MPPT controller reading 0.00A

Hello guys,
    Please I have installed a 60A/24v MPPT charge controller, however I noticed that when the current from the panels (6 300w mono panels)reads between 0.5A to 9A, the charge displays on the charge controller, however when the value of the current rises to about 30A it doesn't read on the LCD on the charge controller, it reads 0.00A, but a multimeter reading from the panels shows it reads 32A. Please any one with experience on epsolar charge controller and any setting I need to adjust on controller?
  • karrak
    • May 2015

Which model do you have?

I have installed an Etracer ET6415N which is the 60A version of their MPPT controller and have no problems. Maximum current from the panels is around 40A @~54V

Simon
    Off-Grid LFP(LiFePO4) system since April 2013

Comment

• ofien
      • Nov 2016

Hello Karak,
      Thanks for response, am using same model as yours...Etracer ET6415N' did you adjust any settings on the controller parameters or any changes on settings?
      Mine the controller can reads low amperes from 0.1A to 10A, but from 30A reads 0.00A, any idea on what I can check/troubleshoot

Comment

• karrak
        • May 2015

The unit I installed is charging a 48V LiFePO4 battery so I had to adjust all the voltage settings to suit this battery. This shouldn't have any effect on the current readings.

Only problem I have with this unit is that the Ethernet link intermittently stops working and the unit has to be powered down and restarted to fix this. This fault doesn't effect any other operation of the unit.

What voltage is your battery bank?

Does the reading on the display agree with your multimeter for current under 30A or only up to 10A, what are the readings between 10A and 30A?

Simon

Comment

• ofien
          • Nov 2016

My battery bank is 400Ah/24V system, I noticed that the display on the LCD for the battery shows 200Ah/12v, am thinking should I set the parameters to 400Ah/24v to reflect the actual battery bank... yes the reading tally for low currents in the multimeter and charge controller.

Comment

• karrak
            • May 2015

With the software version I have in the Etracer ET6415N the battery voltage is automatically detected when you connect the battery to the controller, you cannot set the voltage. If you can set the voltage try setting it to 24V. If not, you will have to disconnect the battery from the controller then reconnect it. If you do this during the day you will have to disconnect the PV panels from the controller before you disconnect the battery. Follow the installation instructions in the ET6415N manual.

I am surprised that he controller would work at all if it has detected the wrong battery voltage.

Simon

Comment

• ofien
              • Nov 2016

I will disconnect the controller and connect back again, also in the manual I noticed that the default battery is set to 200AH, do you think this will have any effect on the current considering that the controller might detect high current meant for 200AH default battery that is set and then refuse current to pass through the controller, as against my actual battery bank of 400AH.. just thinking

Comment

• karrak
                • May 2015

You must have a different version of the software in your controller. The controller I installed has no way of setting the battery capacity. Can you give me a link to the manual you have or tell me the software version you have?

I think you could be right that the controller will limit the current depending on the size of the battery and the battery type. Can you set the battery type and capacity?

A couple of other questions I have, what is the open circuit voltage (Voc) of the PV panels you have and how are they wired up? All in parallel, or two in series and then the three pairs in parallel?

Simon

Comment

• ofien
                  • Nov 2016

This is the model I have : EPsolar iTracer IT6415ND MPPT Solar Battery Charge Controller 60A 12/24 /36/48V.
                  This is the link: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...DzroQILSxcuGzw

I haven't tried setting it myself, a friend of mine with same model was able to set his to desired battery capacity and type.
                  Am not close to panels now to check Voc, I will check later when I get home.
                  When the PV panels are connected two in series and then three pairs: the current goes between 1A to 10A and the controller is able to read it and also display it
                  When I connect all the panels in Parralel to get the most out of the panels the current ranges between 30A to 51A depending on the weather, then the controller reads 0.00A.
                  Presently I reverted to two panels in series and 3 in parallel in order to display on the controller....

Comment

• karrak
                    • May 2015

Ah, this explains everything, you have the newer model of the 6415.

You can and should set the battery type and capacity via the "Control Parameter" menu. What type of battery are you using?

Simon

Comment

• ofien
                      • Nov 2016

okay, seen, am using 8 200Ah/24v connected in series/parallel to give 400Ah/24V battery bank Gel

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by ofien
                        okay, seen, am using 8 200Ah/24v connected in series/parallel to give 400Ah/24V battery bank Gel
                        GEL type batteries, if that is really what you have, are an extremely poor choice for an off-grid PV system.
                        They are generally designed for float standby use (as in a UPS) and cannot accept a high charging current without damage.
                        That means that if you apply the same amount of current (as a fraction of the Capacity in Amp-Hours) to a GEL battery as you would for a comparable FLA or AGM battery you will do permanent damage to it. The practical consequence is that you cannot put enough charge back into the battery during the short time that PV is available each day to keep up with the load discharge.
                        In a UPS you can take 24 hours or more of continuous slower charging to get back to a full battery.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ofien
                          • Nov 2016

Thanks Karakk, I will make the settings and let you know the outcome,

inetdog any suggestions on the error?

Comment

Working...