Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnracer123
    • Nov 2016

24volt inverter

please bare with me as i am new to solar and new to this forum thing....just getting started
    i was given a 24v 5000watt pure sign inverter from a relative(new in box)...and am thinking of making a small cabin solar system any pointers for a beginner
    as to the panels i should use and the controller options??
    thanks for the help
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy mnracer123 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. Start with reading the stickies in the off-grid section. As with any off-grid solar pv system you cant design it until you know how much power it needs to deliver on a daily basis. So you need to do a loads analysis, how many devices consuming how much power? You need to work in watt hours or kilowatt hours, so a electric kettle that draws 1000 watts while in use, is used for a total of one hour a day this would draw a 1 kWh or 1 kilowatt hour.

Read up and get back to us, no one can help until we know what your loads will be, cheers and good luck with it

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Put it back in the box and sell it to a sucker. Also makes a great boat anchor.

First problem is a 5000 watt 24 volt iInverter is a fire bomb waiting to explode. Largest you should ever consider at 24 volts is 2000 watts, and that is pushing your luck.

But please be my guest and use it. The minimum panel wattage to support your bomb is 4000 watts. That will cost you some $8000. Then you will need two extremely expensive 80 amp MPPT controllers for roughly $1200.

Now here is the show stopper to feed your fire bomb, the battery you are talking about a 3000 pound, $7000 battery you replace every 3 to 5 years. It will take a 24 volt 1600 AH battery and here is what it looks like. Big enough to be a dinning room table or your bed. You had better have a thick slab on grade concrete foundation to support the weight or a strong backside.

You have a Hot Potato , don't be the one caught with it in your hands. Get rid of it before you get burned.

Last edited by Sunking; 11-14-2016, 12:04 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• karrak
        • May 2015

I have a 24V off grid system with a 4kW inverter, 360Ah (~9.4kWh) lithium iron phosphate battery and 1200W of solar panels that gives me around 3kWh per day in winter and 5kWh in summer. All up it cost around AU$10,000 and the battery will last over ten years.

I couldn't recommend this system to you unless you are an engineer or have an engineering background. What I would recommend is that if you can wait until the Tesla Powerwall 2 becomes available that you look at this. At US$5,550 + installation the Powerwall 2 will give you a 14kW battery and a 5kW inverter and maybe an inbuilt charge controller.

Simon

Off grid 24V system, 6x190W Solar Panels, 32x90ah Winston LiFeYPO4 batteries installed April 2013
        BMS - Homemade Battery logger github.com/simat/BatteryMonitor
        Latronics 4kW Inverter, homemade MPPT controller

Off-Grid LFP(LiFePO4) system since April 2013

Comment

• Glennn1234
          • Apr 2017

Exactly why would this be a so called bomb!?
          there is no law you have to use a 5 K inverter with a 5 K load ! As I see it if you wire everything like the inverter is a 2K unit with fuses in output of inverter like it was a 2 K output and don't overload system it would be same thing as actualy using 2K inverter!
          How is it a bomb in EITHER case is beyond me !
          perhaps you could explain your reasoning for bomb statement.

Comment

Working...