Intronics MPPT75HV CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intronics MPPT75HV CC

I was wanting anybody's feedback that has used the Intronics MPPT75HV CC. I will be at the upper range of its capabilities. I know it is a low to mid range unit. I plan to upgrade next year, but I just can't afford a midnight classic, etc., right now. We are not grid tied, we live completetly off grid. I will be using this CC for three 305 watt 24v panels, and an 8 battery 12v, 910AH flooded battery bank.I just want to know if people have had a good experience with this CC. Thanks!

Interesting. Hadn't heard about this controller - so looked into it a bit. USA Made, Super low price for a 78A MPPT charge controller. Doesn't appear to be UL listed. Kind of small unit for that much power. Found one post on line of someone who had bought it and it failed after 6 months, and another of someone who bought 3 of them - one of which had a bad display.
    I've been hoping someone would come along with a more affordable good MPPT charge controller - I'm not sure this one is it....
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Thanks for looking! I have pretty much gotten the same info. I know that going cheap usually costs more in the long run, unfortunately I have already tried the cheap route and am now paying for it. I have about $350 to spend on a CC now to get us through the winter. I liked the Missouri Wind and Solar controller, but it is to small to handle my array. I am open to any suggestions for an MPPT to run 24v panels with a 12v battery bank. Panel array will be 915 watts, 8.94 short circuit amps per panel times three panels, VOC IS 46.9.

Comment

You are also getting off to a poor start by doing a 12V battery bank. Gonna have to throw away a 12Vdc inverter some day....
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

The reason for the 12v battery bank is that we are living in our 5th wheel for the winter, and it was already set up 12v. Hopefully we can get our house built next spring/summer and go 24v or 48v.

Comment

You are looking at +70A of charging, which is not going to work well with a low end controller.
            A guy locally to me swears by "fangpusun flexmax" which is a knock-off of a major controller, likely the same plant running overtime, making controllers for the plant manager to sell. But it's based on a solid 80A design, Lesser gear WILL fail at the 40+ amp levels, they just can't properly manage the massive current 12V systems use. You may need more gear or a computer cable to program it, not my model, I've never used one.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

That same Fangpusun label can be found on knock off Victron blue charge controllers.. Not sure I would trust they are the same thing with a different brand name on them.
              BTW is Outback made in China these days?
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

AFIK, only Midnight and Rogue actually make gear in the USA. I believe all others are produced in China, they may be assembled elsewhere. And I thought I recalled somewhere on the Midnight msg board, they had batches of bad gear from China, but they say USA.????
                http://www.roguepowertech.com/usamfg.htm
                Rogue is committed to a domestic workforce. All of our products are designed, built, and assembled in the USA. All of the design and assembly, and most of the production work, is completed locally in Oregon, with the balance from California and Texas.

Midnight - MidNite Solar products that are designed and manufactured in the Arlington Washington facility and installed in alternative energy systems around the world!

Outback - Update 2010: We got OutBack back on the right track with new management and then sold it to Alpha Technologies. They have elected to move a lot of the manufacturing to India so MidNite has been hiring laid off OutBack employees.
                Last edited by Mike90250; 09-21-2016, 11:04 PM.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I was finally able to get enough overtime to get a Midnite Classic 150. Thanks for all of the input!

Comment

Hello, I am overseas and have been building up for commercial single phase power. As a result we have over 250 solar panels. We have 8 with some more of same soon to be installed Midnite Solar classic 150's. We have three Midnite Kid. We have 6 of the Intronics MPPT75HV. We have experienced one failure with the Kid and have had various issues with the Intronics. I can speak for what will break a CC as my back ground is electronics for over 30 years. What broke my kid 30 amp controller? Well, I'm fairly certain it was the 250 amp breaker coming off the battery to my non-critical power panel tripping (we have a critical and non critical setup off same battery bank). What ensued was CC's hunting for the correct voltage. This is just an assumption but I'm sure this was it's demise. Midnite Solar was very gracious to get me a board for a reasonable price and instructions and it is now back up. I was having latency issues with surges in over 6kw to same non-critical panel and that was overcome by combining Maxwell super cap banks with my wet cell lead acid bank. This also helped the problem with the 250 amp breaker tripping. The battery bank is not supposed to be providing power other than small amounts in day as I go off the grid at evening. I have NEVER had a single issue with my 150 classics except once I noticed an overheating shut down at full power. I noticed a small gap/distortion between the plastic and main aluminum body and put some black silicone sealer and this allowed the small fan to ventilate properly. I have never had a classic 150 break and we've been using them for years. I had three of my Intronics MPPT75HV's make a noise upon initial installation and a burnt smell. Then about 1/2 day later they worked again! Turns out diode D1 between the battery input and the PV input was popping like a fuse. Once it fully turned to an open the problem was gone. They claimed they would fix this problem but I have not gotten feedback on the fix yet. If you ever handle one of these don't touch the screws on the side as these seat the FET's to the aluminum enclosure and need correct torque. There was another MAJOR issue with the board against the aluminum enclosure but after talking to the owner they assured me they would fix in future versions by making a new board. The interim fix would work. All said believe it or not I feel all three (Intronics/Kid/Classic 150) are good controllers but if I was to do it all over again and had more money to spend I would go only with the classic 150's. The Intronics punch out allot of current in a small form factor and very affordable price tag. I don't think they are UL1741 listed so they limit themselves to DIY'ers that are "OK" with that. Where I used the Intronics was for strings that were closer to the charge controllers and for strings that were farther away I used the classic 150's. For the few odd strings that had less panels but needed the 150voc I used the Kid's. I was sure to keep every group of panels off each MPPT oriented same direction and same angle. I also use Meanwell power supplies up stream from my MBT to the grid. I step the DC adjusted output from the supply within my float regions so that the CC's always provide power first and only if there is rain/clouds combined with large surges do I then "sip" off the grid. it works well. I'm not going to talk about Outback inverters in this discussion because that has been an entirely different set of lessons learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X