diy solar grid tie

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billy1
    • Sep 2016

Ya I hear ya, I was just trying to stay busy.

Comment

• billy1
      • Sep 2016

Did you bother using anti-seize on the stainless steel bolts for the racking?

Comment

• sdold
        • Jun 2014

Not a bad idea but I didn't, I just ran them finger-tight and finished them off with a socket wrench. Stainless threads have a tendency to gall, but I've only had that happen a few times, typically when using a power driver of some kind, or when using self-locking nuts.

Comment

• billy1
          • Sep 2016

I submitted my permit and now I am able to begin work.

So for my AC setup with micro inverters, Should I use 10 gauge stranded or solid wire? The wire will go directly from the roof Junction box to main service panel, all one line of wire. Or is it personal preference?

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by billy1
            Should I use 10 gauge stranded or solid wire?
            I'd be more concerned about it being the right type for the use (ex. NM, THWN-2, etc.)

And if you're using metal junction box and/or metal conduit, make sure you're grounding them appropriately.

Comment

• billy1
              • Sep 2016

Ya I went with metal junction box and all metal conduit on the roof. I bought a small grounding bus bar for my J-box. Good point about the type of wire, I better return my MC 10-3 cable that's not outdoor rated and buy THWN. Thank you very much.

Comment

• pcas
                • Oct 2016

I just got done in VV doing my system 2-3 months ago and helped a friend around the corner get his in. I submitted the online permit with all the footing layout/single line drawing and cut sheet for everything and to honest I don't think they even look at it. Did enphase microinverter and ironridge racking 18 panels. the inspector that I had was a contract inspector and we bs'd a little and he said he's inspected from la to sac where he's living now so I'm sure he's seen it all but anyways he never got on the roof. I showed him pics I did of the install at different progress points and he was ok good, you got the your ground between strings, roof penetration is flashed good, he looked and made sure all my stickers were in and I had pictures in the j-box so he knew what wires I ran and all the bonding was good. looked in the panel and a/c disco said ok wheres the permit. signed off bs'd a little more and was done.

My friend did online and never uploaded anything. He had another inspector come out went on the roof for a bit came back down and said he installed the flash feet wrong. he showed him the instructions and he paused and just said don;t loose that. started reading the racking instructions for about 20 minutes then went back on the roof. came back and was "where's your ul stickers?" Friend looked at him funny like you want ul stickers on panels and racking? then he asked wheres the permit signed it and left.

What I will say is keep all the cutsheet info for the racking,inverters and panels. so if he asks show it to him that has all the ul and ce certs of the equipment. And the thnn is dual rated that they carry at homedepot I was lost and looked for thwn talked to neighbor who works a platt electric and said he has seen anything that isnt dual rated for years . And use the thnn in the conduiton the roof only, from the solardeck into the attic and the rest of the way just run romex. thnn wire has to be in a conduit even if its inside.

Comment

• billy1
                  • Sep 2016

Hey pcas Do I need "PV Solar labels" for my MC cable that I'm just running in the attic?

Cut sheet info....ya all that is attached to my permit application I uploaded to the City as well.

I bought #10 stranded THHN and it's labeled THWN, THHN, or gas and oil resistant. That's the correct wire right?

Comment

• pcas
                    • Oct 2016

don't think so since it's a/c. and print the cut sheet info and keep it with you when the inspector comes. and make sure you have an extension ladder they can onto the roof with.
                    But I would just run #10 romex in the attic

Comment

• billy1
                      • Sep 2016

Ok thanks for all the info pcas! My Solar parts should be delivered Monday from Renvu even though I deposited the check last Friday and it cleared this past Monday. Renvu said there just really busy that's why it's taking so long to ship. If only I knew someone in town that's experienced with solar install? May be bartering?

Comment

• billy1
                        • Sep 2016

Can someone tell me abouts how far over can solar panel be after last mounting roof hook?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Apr 2014

Can someone tell me abouts how far over can solar panel be after last mounting roof hook?
                          That will depend on the rails, and local snow and wind load calculations. Most quality rail systems have online design tools to help with that.
                          Iron ridge has more overhang with xr100 than with lower end xr10 rails.
                          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• billy1
                            • Sep 2016

Is cantilever revering to the rail distance past the last roof mount?

Comment

• ButchDeal
                              ButchDeal commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes that is right
                          • billy1
                            • Sep 2016

Thanks ButchDeal. Do you or anyone else know if Unirac rails come 1 or 2 inches longer that stated length? For example my Unirac 20 ft light rail I ordered, I wonder if the actual length is 20 ft 1 inch?

Comment

• foo1bar
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

Thanks ButchDeal. Do you or anyone else know if Unirac rails come 1 or 2 inches longer that stated length? For example my Unirac 20 ft light rail I ordered, I wonder if the actual length is 20 ft 1 inch?
                              It's probably 240 inches, looking at the unirac website.

I don't know if unirac has it - but ironridge lets you put in your array size (xyz module, 6 per row, 3 rows, etc) and it'll figure out the length of rails needed as well as clamps, etc.
                              I'm guessing you're looking to see if 6 modules will fit on your 20' rails?
                              They might just barely fit. You'll have to find the space between modules, the width of the modules, and the length needed for the end clamps.

Comment

Working...