Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foilmagnet
    • Aug 2016

12v 8x188ah agm 48v 8x188ah agm and 24v 2x95 agm start batteries

I want a switch that can auto switch between these banks when they are full or in need of charging. The charge will hopefully come from a outback 60 amp mppt and 1200w of 48w panels. There will be 2 different kind of panels in that setup that will run in parallel 6x90w mono and 3x200w poly all 9 of them are 48v.
    You will proberly now think my mom dropped me on my head as a baby but it is for an old bus and It is partly 12v for all the house stuff and 24v for all the lights and bus things there and my panels and converter is 48v. So i have to find a way to marrie all this into one happy manysome. I got a headache from thinking pleace help.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Well I don't think you got dropped on your head but I don't understand exactly what you are asking because I don't know how you can get 6 x 90w panels wired in parallel to generate 48v?

So to clarify, you have 3 battery banks that consist of;
    1) 8 x 12v 188Ah wired how to create what?
    2) 48v system of 8 x 188Ah wired how?
    3) 2 x 95Ah 24v batteries wired how?

You also have 6 x 90W panels wired in parallel and 3 x 200w panels wired in parallel to a single or 2 outback charge controllers? I think.

So it is Monday and maybe I was dropped on my head sometime in my life but I am having a little trouble understanding what you have and what you want.

Oh. By the way. Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      Foilmagnet commented
      Editing a comment
      1.) 8 12v 188ah bat wired minus to minus 2 set of 4 bat.
      2.) 48v setup. 2 sets of 4 12v 188ah bat wired minus to plus. So 4 batt gives 48v.
      3.) My start batt's for the bus 2 12v 95ah batt wired minus to plus to give 24v wich the bus is build for.
      It was a mistake with the panel explanation they will of cause be wired in such a way that they will deliver 48v to the one and only outback controller charger
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Alright, if I think understand,

set 1) you have 8 x 12v 188Ah batteries wired as 4 in parallel to make a 12volt 752Ah battery system and a second set of 4 in parallel to make a second set of 12volt 752Ah battery system. But I am not sure if you wire the 2 sets in parallel to make a single 12volt 1500Ah system or not.
    set 2) you have 8 x 12v 188Ah batteries wired as 4 in series to make 48volts and then a second set of 4 in series wire in parallel to the first set of 4 to make a 48volt 376Ah battery system.
    set 3) you have 2 x 12v 95Ah batteries wired in series to make a 24volt 95Ah system.

As for the 9 solar panels you have them wired to a single outback CC and you want to use them to charge all 3 of your battery systems (at 12v, 24v and 48v) through a selector switch.

Seems pretty crazy to me since your battery systems are all different types and Ah ratings and your solar panels are fixed at 540 for the 90 watt type and 600 for the 200 watt type.

IMO it would be better to get a second CC and match up a set of solar panels to a battery system so that you have the proper balance of charging amps to battery Ah.

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      Foilmagnet commented
      Editing a comment
      So 2 outback 60amp mppt or ?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Well first off that large 12volt system is a disaster waiting to happen. With 8 batteries wired in parallel you will not get even charging or discharging which will cause one or more of the batteries to fail earlier than you want it to.

Next. Do you actually have 3 different inverters rated 12v, 24v and 48v? Otherwise why have 3 different battery systems? What are your daily watt hour loads and as what voltage are that at?

Once we know that we can determine how to use your batteries, panels and chargers to build you a system and then add hardware to expand your system.

In the meantime I do not know of any off the shelf device that will automatically switch a Solar Charge Controller from one battery bank when it is full to another so it can now charge. That would require some programmable control processor that is probably much more expensive then additional charge controllers and panels.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM. Reason: added to first sentence

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      Foilmagnet commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no ideer what daily watt i use. I am fixing up an old bus to live in. Sell my house and go through europe maybe down to africa. Who knows. But many systems in the bus are 12v like frigde pumps lights and ?
      The 24v system is the bus it self everything on the bus from lights to starter runs 24v
      The 48v system is the panels and inverter charger. I got it all different places and now i am trying to figure out how to get it all to work together

• SunEagle
      SunEagle commented
      Editing a comment
      Well. The Outback Charge controller can charge different battery system voltages. But the inverter is where you are stuck. It will only work on one battery DC voltage and convert it to one AC voltage.

The panels can be wired in different ways and can be used to charge battery systems that are 12volt, 24volt or 48volt. You are not not stuck with only 48volt panels.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Build it all as 24V, use a good MPPT controller, use a good sinewave inverter.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      Foilmagnet commented
      Editing a comment
      But that mean I have to get new everything. I wanted advice on how to get it done the best way possible with what i have. I cant afford to go out buy all new stuff again. Hope you understand that.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

So lets start from the begining.

What is the make and model of those 90watt panels and 200 watt panels and can you provide the Voc, Vmp and Imp rating?

Next. What is the make and model of the inverter you have?

Next. What is the model of the Outback CC you have?

I know you mentioned your batteries but please provide the total number and rating of each?

Finally what type of DC loads to you plan on running off the battery systems and at what voltage. And what type of loads do you plan on running off your DC to AC inverter?

From that list we can help you put a system(s) together so that you can use what you have and not have to throw it all out and buy new stuff.

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      Foilmagnet commented
      Editing a comment
      I will tomorrow.
  • Foilmagnet
    • Aug 2016

The yellow batt i have 16 of and intend to use for both 12v and 48v the blue ones are my start batts for the bus I have 2 of those making 24v for bus systems. The panels I have 6 of the 100w and if needed 18 of the 190w. I am going to put up the rest on my house of the 190w.20160830_125118.jpg 20160830_125317.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

• Foilmagnet
      • Aug 2016

1.png

These ones I have 6 of

Attached Files

Comment

• Foilmagnet
        • Aug 2016

This is my inverter charger 4.gif

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Thank you. Since the 24volt battery system is for your bus starting system we should just put that on the side for now. It might be better to just use the bus alternator to charge them.

That Power Star W7 48volt DC input to 220v AC output is a DC to AC inverter but an AC to DC charger. It can't be used with solar panels to charge batteries which is a DC to DC charger.

The good thing is that we can configure most of those 12v 175Ah batteries into a 48volt system which that inverter will work with and use .

You mentioned an Outback Charge Controller. You will need that to use some combination of your solar panels (preferably all the same type) to charge your battery system depending on how big it is.

To build a 12volt battery system will require different inverter then the Power Star W7 and IMO another Charge controller. So why do you want to use 12volt anyway?

Comment

• Foilmagnet
            • Aug 2016

12v because frigde, pumps. some lights, and some other stuff runs 12v. And because the Power Star w7 uses a lot of energy even when in stanby. So I would only turn that on when needed i think.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Foilmagnet
              12v because frigde, pumps. some lights, and some other stuff runs 12v. And because the Power Star w7 uses a lot of energy even when in stanby. So I would only turn that on when needed i think.
              Then lets start by saying you build 2 separate solar/battery systems. One at 12volt and one at 48volt.

I do not know what your 220volt load is which the 48volt battery will power but lets say the 48volt could be set up using 8 of those 12v 175Ah batteries with 2 sets of 4 like you had them to create a 48v 350Ah system. You can use up to 12 of those 190watt panels and that 60amp Outback CC. This system should be able to safely yield about 4200 watt hours daily.

Next you really never wire more than 2 batteries or 2 sets of batteries in parallel so for your 12volt system you do not have much to work with that will allow them to last long.

If you took 3 of those 12v 175Ah batteries and wired them in parallel you would get a 12volt 525Ah battery system. Then you would need to use 6 of those 100 watt panels and another 60Amp MPPT Charge controller. You will also need a 12volt inverter that is rated no more than 1000 watts. This system should get you about 1500 watt hours daily but because you have 3 parallel wired batteries it may not last very long.

Comment

• Foilmagnet
                Foilmagnet commented
                Editing a comment
                You have convinced me. I go 48 volt with 12 of them. Then 2 of them i go 12 and the last to i go 24v as a backup for start batts. I will just charge the 12v with the inverter
            Working...