Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msobal79
    • Aug 2016

Enphase M250 cross talk

We purchased a 11.48 kW system. (41 Solarworld 280W Mono Black panels, and 41 Enphase M250 Inverters). We just received a copy of the plans submitted to the city and they show M215's for the micro-inverters. When I called the Solar Company to see why the inverters had changed, they said that they had experienced "cross talk" ; some type of electrical interference, I'm guessing, when using the Enphase M250's. Has anyone ever heard of this?
  • Plut
    • Jun 2015

M215 vs M250 will net about 50kWh less per year or about $7 worth of electricity per year on a system that size. That being said they should adjust your price accordingly. The M215 cost $10-20 less each then M250 depending on the vendor.

I think the M215 is a better size for a 280 watt panel. But whatever they are saying about "cross talk" sounds like BS excuse to me to change to a lower cost inverter.
    24 Suniva 275 Watt Panels. 24 Enphase M250.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by msobal79
      We purchased a 11.48 kW system. (41 Solarworld 280W Mono Black panels, and 41 Enphase M250 Inverters). We just received a copy of the plans submitted to the city and they show M215's for the micro-inverters. When I called the Solar Company to see why the inverters had changed, they said that they had experienced "cross talk" ; some type of electrical interference, I'm guessing, when using the Enphase M250's. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Cross talk is BS. There is no issue with using the M250s. They are trying to short you on the equipment, their cost difference is about $10 per micro.
      For a 280W module it should have M250 micros.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• nate379
        • Sep 2016

Why would a 280w panel work better with a 215 watt inverter? My panels are 235w and I used the 215s. I've been happy, they were pretty new to the market when I got them. Been on my roof going on 5 years with no issues.

Comment

• Sandman1962
          Sandman1962 commented
          Editing a comment
          I absolutely get crosstalk on my system with M250's. BUT I do not know is other inverters are immune. I know exactly when this occurs for me.... it is when I am using a nearby outlet in my garage to charge up batteries using an AC adapter. Somehow, this causes interference with the communication of the M250's, stopping any signals from reaching the Enphase internet bridge module. I was really happy when I figured out when and why. Now I just charge them at night using my WEMO switch and IFTTT recipes.
      • Mike90250
        • May 2009

What you are calling "crosstalk" is interference from the charger, blocking the powerline carrier comms.

The old X-10 remote controls used power line carrier signals to communicate, and they did quite well, I still have a couple in use, But noise/static/garbage generated on the power lines, or "power filters" would suck the 10Khz carrier out, and comms would fail. At my grandparents house, easily got 400' range, in the noisy city, 100' was limit.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sandman1962
          Sandman1962 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I just generalized my interference as "crosstalk" between my various devices. I see that it has a more precise meaning....
      • Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Cross Talk = Hogwash.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• dannw1431
          • Mar 2017

I have a 5.3Kw system using (20) 265W panels and (20) M250's from Enphase. I have no problems

Comment

• tyab
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2016

Cross talk - garbage. All of the Enphase micro's use the exact same power line protocol (except the new ones not out yet) - all can have interference from all kinds of stuff. For short distances it should be ok but that said - noise can be an issue. See this forum post:

Hey Guys, I'm curious if I'd be better off installing my Envoy-S in the attic by the dedicated PV panel or 85' down the homerun towards the MSP? My router is

I'm running into the poor Envoy communication issue myself but I'm trying to get the Envoy to communicate over 400' - just not happening reliably. Have a project to fix it that is still in progress.

Comment

Working...