(4) 300w solar panels MPPT controller and 24v battery bank from golf cart batteries

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLOWN93LX
    • Aug 2016

(4) 300w solar panels MPPT controller and 24v battery bank from golf cart batteries

First I would like to say hello and thanks for all the amazing information available on this site. I have been lingering for a while and decided it was time to register and ask some questions before I blow something up (kidding).

While on a recent vacation, I was able to pick up (4) 300w solar panels from a company in Indiana who manufactures them on site. I want to set up a 24v battery bank in my class A motor home with an MPPT controller. I bought 4 panels which should be 1200w which may be over kill but since I picked them up I had no freight charge.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 320 Watt Semi Flexible Frameless Solar Panel 24 Volt Made in USA MonoCrystalline at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Next I need to pick up a MPPT controller and some golf cart batteries. After that I will begin the wiring process.

What do you think of the quality of the panels? Did I make a mistake?

Any information, suggestions or comments are always greatly appreciated.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

You have to wonder why they are selling these at 27 cents a watt. Granted the modules are frameless and haven't got junction boxes attached yet. Is the reason for this that they failed flash testing to the point that it isn't worth finishing assembly? The most involved and costly part of manufacture is in actually making the monocrystalline cells and assembly....soldering and vacuum laminating. An aluminum frame and j box aren't much more costly in large quantity. If it hasn't been disclosed to you what the reason for such a low price point is I would be wary.

​These modules aren't necessarily "flexible panels" they just weren't finished for some reason. They would need frames for rigidity and the junction boxes will need to be mounted which may involve soldering and , hopefully, a weather tight seal on the j box.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
      • Aug 2016

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am unfamiliar with the economics behind solar panel manufacturing but since this is my first attempt at off grid living, I wasn't too concerned. At around $100 a panel, it's an inexpensive way to get started.

To mount them, I bought these clamps. I hadn't given much thought to clamping before purchase and after the purchase I realized almost nothing existed on the market.

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Frameless or Thin Film Solar Panel Mounting Brackets at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Last edited by BLOWN93LX; 08-13-2016, 02:07 PM. Reason: Wrong link

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
        • Aug 2016

With these (4) 300 watt solar panels, can someone help me to understand how many amp MPPT charge controller is sufficient? I want the battery bank to be 24v by using (8) 6v Sams club golf cart batteries.

I included the wrong link before, these are actually the panels I bought. These are 60 cell, not 72 like the other link. 300w not 320w

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Ok. I still haven't seen the 300 watt models . That last one had 305 watt 72 cell panels. But I presume they are close to the 72 cell 320 watt ones.

If you have 4 x 300 watt panels then you have 1200 watts total. If your battery system is going to be 24volts then you will need a 50A MPPT CC ( 1200 watt / 24V = 50A).

But again at that low price I find it a little too good to be true so you may not have a product that is Grade A or they may be having a fire sale.

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
            Ok. I still haven't seen the 300 watt models . That last one had 305 watt 72 cell panels. But I presume they are close to the 72 cell 320 watt ones.

If you have 4 x 300 watt panels then you have 1200 watts total. If your battery system is going to be 24volts then you will need a 50A MPPT CC ( 1200 watt / 24V = 50A).

But again at that low price I find it a little too good to be true so you may not have a product that is Grade A or they may be having a fire sale.

I genuinely appreciate the comments and concern that the panels may be sub-par. Knowing nothing about solar, my assumption was that there were three issues driving down the cost. One was that they were manufactured in house, two was they were not UL listed and couldn't be grid tie and three they can't easily be shipped requiring freight companies to deliver them.

Either way, I am happy to give them a try and am inquisitive enough to notice when something is going wrong.

In the future, I would like to discuss SERIES and PARALLEL options for the four panels and discuss which is best for my system.

Just to confirm, these were indeed the panels I picked up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-300-Watt...p2047675.l2557
            • STC DC Watts Maximum Power Pmax: 300 W
            • Module Efficiency: 18.4%
            • Maximum Power Voltage Vmp (V): 33.67V
            • Maximum Power Current Imp (A): 8.96A
            • Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V): 40.0V
            • Short Circuit Current Isc (A): 9.35A
            • Maximum system voltage: 600V UL, 1000V IEC
            • Maximum reverse current: 20A
            • Power Tolerance 0 +3 watts
            • Cells per module: 60
            • Glass: Low iron tempered with Anti-Reflective Coating
            • Dimensions: 65.95 x 39.4 x .29 inches (33mm)
            • Weight: 39.7 lbs

Thank you all for the replies
            Nick

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
              • Aug 2016

Quick question: On an MPPT controller, if the battery bank is 24v, what will the DC light output be? Will it still be 12 volt? Or will the light output terminals match the battery bank?

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
                Wy_White_Wolf commented
                Editing a comment
                It will match the battery bank.

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

300w x 4 = 1200w
              1200 x .8 = 960 w expected output / 24v = 40A max. So a 40A or larger MPPT controller would be the ticket
              the specs from your link
              • Module Efficiency: 18.4%
              • Maximum Power Voltage Vmp (V): 33.67V
              • Maximum Power Current Imp (A): 8.96A
              • Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V): 40.0V
              • Short Circuit Current Isc (A): 9.35A
              • Maximum system voltage: 600V UL, 1000V IEC
              • Maximum reverse current: 20A
              • Power Tolerance 0 +3 watts
              • Cells per module: 60

So, I'd wire 2 in series, and then parallel 2 of the series strings, giving you close to a 66v array @ 18A to run to the charge controller. You can wire 2 strings n parallel without needing fuses or breakers. It's nice to have a breaker on the PV and Battery sides of the Charge controller, for ease of shutting it down.
              Most reliable MPPT controllers will self-limit to operate in a safe region even if overpaneled
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by BLOWN93LX
                Quick question: On an MPPT controller, if the battery bank is 24v, what will the DC light output be? Will it still be 12 volt? Or will the light output terminals match the battery bank?
                The battery voltage from a 24V bank can vary from 23-32V, depending on where the battery is in the charge cycle. Most good inverters operate reliably in this range, because they are expected to keep running under all charging conditions.
                So, any 12V appliances, would need to have a special 24-12V convertor / DC-DC supply to run them, Some LED lights have a internal driver chip and can operate over a wide voltage range, you have to carefully read all the paperwork

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
                  • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250

The battery voltage from a 24V bank can vary from 23-32V, depending on where the battery is in the charge cycle. Most good inverters operate reliably in this range, because they are expected to keep running under all charging conditions.
                  So, any 12V appliances, would need to have a special 24-12V convertor / DC-DC supply to run them, Some LED lights have a internal driver chip and can operate over a wide voltage range, you have to carefully read all the paperwork

Thank you for that explanation. Let me try to explain again, on an MPPT charge controller, normally the far two right side terminals are DC output to operate low voltage lights. My question is, will that match the battery bank or will it be 12v? Or maybe it depends on the manufacturer. I am curious only for planning my lay out.

Thank you for your patience
                  Nick

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
                    • Aug 2016

The reviews seem good for this EPSolar 4215BN 40 amp MPPT Charge Controller. Does it appear to be within my specs? They appear to run around $239.

Specifications:
                    Model
                    Tracer1215BN
                    Tracer2215BN
                    Tracer3215BN
                    Tracer4215BN
                    Nominal system voltage
                    12/24V auto work
                    Rated battery current
                    10A
                    20A
                    30A
                    40A
                    Rated load current
                    10A
                    20A
                    20A
                    20A
                    Max. PV open circuit voltage
                    150V
                    Max. battery voltage
                    32V
                    Max. PV input power
                    130W (12V)
                    260W (12V)
                    390W (12V)
                    520W (12V)
                    260W (24V)
                    520W (24V)
                    780W (24V)
                    1040W (24V)
                    Equalize charging voltage
                    Sealed: 14.6V, Flooded: 14.8V, USER: 9~17V
                    Boost charging voltage
                    Gel: 14.2V, Sealed: 14.4V, Flooded: 14.6V, USER: 9~17V
                    Float charging voltage
                    Gel /Sealed /Flooded: 13.8V, USER: 9~17V
                    Low voltage reconnect voltage
                    Gel /Sealed /Flooded: 12.6V, USER: 9~17V
                    Low voltage disconnect voltage
                    Gel /Sealed /Flooded: 11.1V, USER: 9~17V
                    Self-consumption
                    ≤50mA(12V) ≤27mA(24V)
                    Grounding
                    Common negative
                    Temp. compensation
                    -3mV//2V
                    Communication Port
                    RS485 / RJ45 interface
                    Working temperature
                    -35+55
                    Storage temperature
                    -35+80
                    Humidity
                    ≤95% N.C.
                    Enclosure
                    IP30
                    Overall dimension
                    196x118x36mm
                    217x143x56mm
                    281x160x60mm
                    303x183x64mm
                    Terminal
                    4mm2
                    10mm2
                    16mm2
                    25mm2
                    Net weight
                    0.9kg
                    1.5kg
                    2.3kg
                    2.9kg

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by BLOWN93LX
                      Usually the output voltage of the CC "load" terminals would be the same as the battery voltage. Also some CC have load terminals may only have very small "loads" and can easily be burned out.

While that tracer CC is ok you really need something that is rated a little more then 40Amps with 1200 watts of panels you will be exceeding the max wattage of 1040w for a 24voltage battery system.

Note. edited my post due to math error pointed out by little harbor.
                      Last edited by SunEagle; 08-14-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jan 2016

4 in series =160 Voc., or 3?
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by littleharbor
                          4 in series =160 Voc., or 3?
                          Yeah. My mistake 4 in series would be 160VDC and exceed most MPPT CC. Sorry about my math mistake. I will make the change in my post.

Comment

• BLOWN93LX
                            • Aug 2016

Can anyone help me to understand whether there is value in placing a combiner box between the solar panels and the charge controller? Ideally I would place it as close to the panels as possible? Or is it over kill and some simple breakers which are much less expensive will accomplish the same thing?

Comment

• SunEagle
                              SunEagle commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You only need a combiner box if you need to wire you panel in parallel strings to you CC. I have a combiner box that can parallel 5 panels to my PWM CC. If you purchase an MPPT CC that is rated 50 amps or more you do not need a combiner box because you can wire the 4 panels in series to that CC.
                          Working...