X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoublee
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by gtuplin

Well I'm not sure if that test was done but if nothing else I have great respect for my electricians meticulous work ethics and hanging in there trying to resolve this issue!
    It's not really a question of your electrician's ethics, it's about figuring out what is wrong.

Google Growatt derating mode which describes how power is reduced as AC frequency is increased. But I'm guessing you never saw the inverter say "DERATING" on the LCD display?

Comment

• gtuplin
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

It's not really a question of your electrician's ethics, it's about figuring out what is wrong.

Google Growatt derating mode which describes how power is reduced as AC frequency is increased. But I'm guessing you never saw the inverter say "DERATING" on the LCD display?
      ​No the self test is always good and never get error codes on any of them at start up or when the issues occur I to would expect the inverter to pick up on that. However sounds like a good read and will look it up, Thanks

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

I'd be pissed if I couldn't get my inverter company's tech support on the phone within an hour.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by adoublee

That is the big question. It comes down to how good are the people performing the Root Cause analysis and then who will be responsible to fix the problem once it has been found.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

That is the big question. It comes down to how good are the people performing the Root Cause analysis and then who will be responsible to fix the problem once it has been found.
            As for root cause analysis, without being onsite, folks around here seem to have given a lot of thought and advice to the OP's situation - IMO, a very good example of some of the good this forum can do and I'd bet the equivalent of several 1,000's of $$'s of consultants' time and thought.

But, somewhat early on, I wondered where the vendor/installer is in all of this, and also wonder if the OP called whoever installed the equipment before showing up here. If nothing else, a good vendor would want to know if/when something is amiss if only to not jeopardize their reputation. also, and if, as seems likely in situations like this, the equipment is under warranty, messing around with it without the vendor's knowledge may also have warranty consequences.

In one sense, this forum did the vendor's initial warranty investigation. Maybe the vendor would benefit from reading this thread. Just sayin'.

Comment

• gtuplin
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by solarix
              I'd be pissed if I couldn't get my inverter company's tech support on the phone within an hour.
              I do have access but we thought that keeping the best possible quality of information flowing that a small report of findings and tests was best suited in this case. It allows no forgotten conversations no confusion and also allows the pool of knowledge to consider appropriate coarse of action. Having immediate response is not nessecarily what I want, good clear detailed in writing solutions are.

Comment

• gtuplin
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

As for root cause analysis, without being onsite, folks around here seem to have given a lot of thought and advice to the OP's situation - IMO, a very good example of some of the good this forum can do and I'd bet the equivalent of several 1,000's of $$'s of consultants' time and thought.

But, somewhat early on, I wondered where the vendor/installer is in all of this, and also wonder if the OP called whoever installed the equipment before showing up here. If nothing else, a good vendor would want to know if/when something is amiss if only to not jeopardize their reputation. also, and if, as seems likely in situations like this, the equipment is under warranty, messing around with it without the vendor's knowledge may also have warranty consequences.

In one sense, this forum did the vendor's initial warranty investigation. Maybe the vendor would benefit from reading this thread. Just sayin'.
                This is very true but based on the unique install everyone has an idea and seems all we are trying to do is source a root cause. It would be difficult to jump on the manufacture and say you have 5 or more bad inverters without being really sure and equally awkward conversation with the hydro company accusing them of being the root cause. It seems everything has to move at a pace that is not offensive and shows I have done due dilagence and checked every possible cause. In this case hydro has offered to come test as a courtesy to help issolate distortion. That being said I value all the feed back I have received that has led me to test and observe every possible cause.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

This is very true but based on the unique install everyone has an idea and seems all we are trying to do is source a root cause. It would be difficult to jump on the manufacture and say you have 5 or more bad inverters without being really sure and equally awkward conversation with the hydro company accusing them of being the root cause. It seems everything has to move at a pace that is not offensive and shows I have done due dilagence and checked every possible cause. In this case hydro has offered to come test as a courtesy to help issolate distortion. That being said I value all the feed back I have received that has led me to test and observe every possible cause.
                  Understood. Still, and respectfully, in my book, the installer has a responsibility, both financially and ethically, as well as the expectation and hope that they will be given the first opportunity to meet the expectation of a functioning system and to address problems that arise. And IMO, ought to be the first party notified. That's not jumping on anyone. Canadians sometimes have a reputation for polite to a fault, just as Americans have a reputation for being rude at times. I also appreciate you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar. Neither caricature is always true, but sometimes the kernel of truth at the bottom of a caricature doesn't do either group any good. Asking the vendor to meet their warranty responsibilities is not, IMO, an affront to good manners. I might even think it rude to not notify them.

Comment

• gtuplin
                    • Apr 2012

And again another good point!
                    Well now that the margin has been narrowed and my installer is very very positive it is not install related and we have conducted a lot of tests to prove or disprove other outside possibilities every one has been notified. Again the form assistance has been instrumental in getting this far and we are appreciative of that. All the powers to be are working to find a solution but it is now easy to say yes sir we tested and tried that!
                    Again thank and will update as info is available.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

And again another good point!
                      Well now that the margin has been narrowed and my installer is very very positive it is not install related and we have conducted a lot of tests to prove or disprove other outside possibilities every one has been notified. Again the form assistance has been instrumental in getting this far and we are appreciative of that. All the powers to be are working to find a solution but it is now easy to say yes sir we tested and tried that!
                      Again thank and will update as info is available.
                      If meant for me, you're welcome, but any thanks might be specifically directed at those who provided the meaningful, useful and selflessly given information that was so plentiful in this thread.

Comment

• gtuplin
                        • Apr 2012

Oh for sure, it was directed at all those who had input and those indirectly by providing information on the forum. Hats off to everyone this has been over the top!

Comment

• DanS26
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2011

Why did you not swap the known good house inverter? Would have narrowed the range of possibilities dramatically.

Comment

• DanS26
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2011

Just wondering how this turned out.

Comment

• gtuplin
                              • Apr 2012

Well still not 100% sure but seems that we are on the right track.
                              Growatt has assessed the problem and it seems that we are unique in the fact that our grid power is at 252+ and they say that ideal is 220-230 for max efficacy. The high voltage is affecting the way it functions so we have ordered a buck/boost transformer on their recommendation and hope to have a report soon .
                              We have also added a panel to make strings of 13 on their recommendation and that stopped the irratice behaviour so all we are doing now is adding the fix for efficacy.
                              Will update with good news I hope!

Comment

• smily03
                                • May 2015

Out of curiosity, couldn't the utility just dial the voltage back a bit? Here in farm country the POCO can just tweak things a bit to help offset the loads of the grain elevators in the fall, so I'd assume that your POCO would be able to do something similar?

(One time my parents had issues with lightbulbs burning out really quickly, and found that they were getting over 260v(!). Quick call to the POCO cleared that up and took them back down to 240...)

Comment

Working...