Plugging a Thunderbold Magnum Briefcase solar panel into the Goal Zero Yeti 150

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xtine000
    • Jul 2016

Plugging a Thunderbold Magnum Briefcase solar panel into the Goal Zero Yeti 150

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I bought a Goal Zero Yeti 150, very small I know but it's my first attempt at Solar and I wanted to learn. Later on I will get a much larger system. I bought a solar panel that will easily charge my Yeti 150 - the Thunderbolt Magnum Briefcase panel. But there is no input that allows me to plug into the Yeti. I went to a bunch of stores in my area and they all pretty much blew me off because they really didn't care - Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc. Maybe someone here will know - is there an adapter that I can get to solve this problem? I'm going to attach a photo of the plugs - the one on the left is the Thunderbolt, and the one on the right is the plug that allows the Yeti to draw power from the wall. The plug on the right is what I need, the plug on the left is what I"ve got. Is there any adapter or any way to plug my solar panel into my Yeti? I'm pretty dissapointed that I can't just start using it.

Thanks,

Christine
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Xtine000; 07-12-2016, 11:59 PM. Reason: Ooops I was trying to edit the title and put ThunderbolT but it wouldn't let me.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

When mix & match between mfg's you always have to plan for compatibility. You may have to find what size the 2 connectors are, and build a pair of matching sockets to wire them together. BUT before you do that, you have to make sure the voltage from the unregulated PV panel, will not fry anything in the battery box.

If all is fine, maybe cutting both plugs off and use an Anderson Connector to mate them in the field
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Xtine000
      • Jul 2016

Hi MIke, thanks for the reply Yes, the maximum voltage the Thunderbolt gives off is 48, and the maximum that my Yeti will handle is 60, so the panel is in the safe zone. Thanks for the tip about the Anderson connector. I'm going to find an Electrician to help me because I've never done it before.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Just make sure that the connectors you use are rated for the voltage. Most people think that they can use 12 volt connectors made for RV and cars but they will not handle either the voltage or amperage found in some solar pv systems.

Comment

• Xtine000
          • Jul 2016

Hey guys, I found a better solution. I noticed that the Thunderbolt has adapters for both male and female "cigarette" style plugs. I then saw online that Goal Zero has, actually, an adapter cable for input that is a male "cigarette" style. So, I called around to places like REI that carry Goal Zero and of course nobody knew what I was talking about, so I had to order the cable from Goal Zero $15 total with shipping. It doesn't come with the Yeti 150.

What really bothers me is that I called Goal Zero multiple times, and not once did they ask me what adapters came with my Thunderbolt and suggest alternatives. I was told to splice my own adapter cable. Then I was told by a local electrician that he didn't recommend that because in the Goal Zero cables, there is cloth wrapped around the metal wire inside the cable and it would lead to a meltdown of the cable after a couple uses. WTF???????? Am I missing something here? That's crazy???? So ok, I get it, making your own cables can be unsafe - so LUCKILY I found this alternative, I have to see if it actually works after the cable arrives in 7-10 business days. I'd hate to think of what would happen if I needed this to work right away??? But I guess that's what experimentation is all about, that's why I purchased the 150 for only $240 instead of the 1250 for $1500 in case of a terrible problem like this one. Looks like my hunch payed off, and now if I buy a more expensive, more powerful unit, all the necessary cables, inputs and outputs will be ready to rock.

So far in my solar experiment, I've been disgusted by the know-nothingness of EVERYONE wether it's employees of Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes, those types of stores, or a local electrican, or the employees of Goal Zero themselves. And worse yet, the lack of caring or asking any pertinent questions that would lead to an answer, just trying to hustle the hard question off the phone or out of the store. I'm shocked that these people actually made it onto electric power from coal or whatever. What are they going to do when EVERYTHING is Solar? Already in New Jersey, on my way to REI in Princeton, I could see that ever single light along the road had a solar panel attached to it - the State is now using Solar. These ignoramuses drive by these panels every day to get to work. But they still know nothing? They're not even curious what those panels are and how they work? It's kind of inconceivable how dumbed down our general population is, and we are all going to have to really stay on top of things ourselves because there is NO help.

Thank you to all who answered here on this forum and put a little effort into thinking about this situation, I really appreciate it.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Xtine000
            Hey guys, I found a better solution. I noticed that the Thunderbolt has adapters for both male and female "cigarette" style plugs. I then saw online that Goal Zero has, actually, an adapter cable for input that is a male "cigarette" style. So, I called around to places like REI that carry Goal Zero and of course nobody knew what I was talking about, so I had to order the cable from Goal Zero $15 total with shipping. It doesn't come with the Yeti 150.

What really bothers me is that I called Goal Zero multiple times, and not once did they ask me what adapters came with my Thunderbolt and suggest alternatives. I was told to splice my own adapter cable. Then I was told by a local electrician that he didn't recommend that because in the Goal Zero cables, there is cloth wrapped around the metal wire inside the cable and it would lead to a meltdown of the cable after a couple uses. WTF???????? Am I missing something here? That's crazy???? So ok, I get it, making your own cables can be unsafe - so LUCKILY I found this alternative, I have to see if it actually works after the cable arrives in 7-10 business days. I'd hate to think of what would happen if I needed this to work right away??? But I guess that's what experimentation is all about, that's why I purchased the 150 for only $240 instead of the 1250 for $1500 in case of a terrible problem like this one. Looks like my hunch payed off, and now if I buy a more expensive, more powerful unit, all the necessary cables, inputs and outputs will be ready to rock.

So far in my solar experiment, I've been disgusted by the know-nothingness of EVERYONE wether it's employees of Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes, those types of stores, or a local electrican, or the employees of Goal Zero themselves. And worse yet, the lack of caring or asking any pertinent questions that would lead to an answer, just trying to hustle the hard question off the phone or out of the store. I'm shocked that these people actually made it onto electric power from coal or whatever. What are they going to do when EVERYTHING is Solar? Already in New Jersey, on my way to REI in Princeton, I could see that ever single light along the road had a solar panel attached to it - the State is now using Solar. These ignoramuses drive by these panels every day to get to work. But they still know nothing? They're not even curious what those panels are and how they work? It's kind of inconceivable how dumbed down our general population is, and we are all going to have to really stay on top of things ourselves because there is NO help.

Thank you to all who answered here on this forum and put a little effort into thinking about this situation, I really appreciate it.
            LOL. I used to live in the great state of NJ. Back in 88 when I moved to Florida the taxes and cost of living were very high. I also did not like how crowded is was getting and the 2 hour commutes to work.

As for not understanding solar technology, I am afraid that is pretty common around the US. So try to be patient and learn as much as you can so you provide the answers to those that ask them.

Keep us informed on how the cable adapters work out for you.

Comment

• Xtine000
              • Jul 2016

I sure will SunEagle, thanks again!

Comment

Working...