Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pitter98
    • Feb 2011

Possible new PV Setup Questions in Michigan

I'm getting closer to making a decision on a new PV setup for my house just outside of Detroit, MI and have some questions for some of the pros here. I have quite a few in-depth questions, but I'll try to keep this as short as I can.

A little background - I'm an architect with a fair amount of DIY experience and have done quite a few major projects (gutted and renovated entire master bathroom) around my house and my brothers house. I have a decent knowledge of building codes and general construction practices - and if I don't know it I have access to it or people that do know it (architectural and MEP).

1. I've been looking around at grid-tie solar setups around the net and most of the ones I have found are in the $4-5/watt range, and that doesn't include installation. I recently came across a link for DMSolar on someone's PV installation page. They have very low prices on setups and I am currently looking at this system. It is 4.6kW with Enphase D380's for about $14,000 (including shipping). That works out to about $3 per watt, which is much cheaper than everyone else and still includes most everything needed to install it. For a 4.6kW system, I can get an up-front credit from my utility for $11,000 with an ongoing payment of about $550 per year for 20 years, plus 30% of the remaining installation cost from federal credit. The better prices will allow me to get a bigger system than I was originally planning (around 2kW). My main question is, is this an okay company or one that I should stay away from? They are on the California solar panel approved manufacturers list, but just wanted some other opinions.

2. Since I will be installing everything for this outside of the major electrical stuff (I will not touch the panel myself - it's not worth it), what do you think the time and cost for a final hookup would be? I assumed it would be no more than a couple thousand, but wanted to get some other feedback.

3. In regards to orientation: I only have 1 true south facing roof that will only fit about 8 panels on it. The majority of the space I have is on a west facing roof at 5/12 pitch. With having the microinverters, I have the easier possibility of splitting the array into 2 with 8 panels facing south and 12 facing west. According to PV Watts, all 20 at true south is 5428 kW (which is not possible), a split setup is 4872 kW, and an all west facing setup is 4501 kW per year. My question is, will the extra 7.5% efficiency out of the split setup be worth it compared to the ease/aesthetics of an all west facing array (the back of the house)?

I'm sure I will come up with some more questions as I go along, but these are the major ones that I wanted to run by some of the pros. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brad
    Last edited by Pitter98; 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
  • Pitter98
    • Feb 2011

For a better idea of the roof layout, here is an aerial picture.

Roof.jpg

Hope it helps.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Hey everybody - Any comments, either good or bad, about dmsolar?

That is a starting point.

Russ
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• So solar
        • Oct 2010

If you went to an all west setup. What would be the cost for modules alone and a string inverter? Without enphase? What's your utility costs? Are you shaving off teirs? Or trying to zero out? How does your utility pay back the costs. Is it a one time credit of 11000? Is this the same for an all west roof. When do you consume the most electricity. Do you work from home. These questions may help you decide. Don't know anything about the company you are inquiring about.
        Does the price include racking? Professional racking and standoffs could cost atleast a couple grand. All wiring, raceways, etc. Probably a couple grand also. If your main panel is useable. Permit fees. Couple hundred bucks. With two experienced installer. 1-2 day install.
        Mike

Comment

• Pitter98
          • Feb 2011

Lots of good questions there So Solar - I'll try to answer them as best as possible.

Checking on their prices - the cost for just the 20 230w panels looks like it would be around $8,500 plus shipping. The $14k price tag includes the panels, the micro-inverters and gateway monitor, UniRac Solarmount-I racking and connections, and shipping. I know I will have to purchase all the wiring, disconnects, and that sort of stuff myself, and it looks like I will also have to purchase the roof mounts and flashing myself (probably another $500 or 600 min. for those). If you look on the link I posted before, it actually tells all that is included with the package. I don't have any experience/knowledge of the company, that's why I was asking about them I saw a link to it on a personal installation page - will have to see if I can find it.

As far as the utility stuff goes - I probably average around 800 to 900 kwH a month - around $80 (high around 1100 in the summer and low in the fall/spring around 600). It would be lower, but I have a couple fish tanks that draw a decent amount of juice and our dryer is electric. With some conservation and things, I figure the system will cover about 1/2 our electric use. Utility costs are pretty average - I think around 10 to 12 cents/kwH. When I sign up through their system (SolarCurrents), they provide net metering at no cost. For the credit, they pay $2.40 per watt up front ($11,000 for 4.6kW) and then an ongoing payment of about $48 per month for the next 20 years (another $11.5k), which gives them all rights to the SREC's. Between net metering and the ongoing credit payment, my bill should basically be $0. The credit won't change at all based on the orientation - it's a flat rate per nameplate rating.

For electric usage, it is pretty spread out through the day. Neither of us work from home, but my fish tank lights run during the day and the pumps run 24/7. Then the typical central A/C in the summer and tv/computer in the evenings and on the weekends.

I am planning on doing the installation all myself (possibly with some help from my brother), but leaving the final eletrical hookups and tie-in to the panel to an electrician. The beauty of the Enphase inverters is no string calculations or high voltage DC runs, which will make it easier for self install. This is one of the main reasons I want to go with the Enphase units (along with shading and expansion adaptability).

Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Who's modules? you named racking and inverters but not the module manufacturer. sounds like you are going through a distributor so once you actually get the stuff they will be out of it.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Schott Insider
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by russ
              Hey everybody - Any comments, either good or bad, about dmsolar?
              I've never heard of them until tonight, and I've been in the industry for 7 years...

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

@ Schott Insider - Good comment so thanks!

Anyone else want to chime in please.

Russ
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

Sounds like a private label thing to me.
                  Kind of Like Schuco is doing with their PV.
                  Does anyone know who makes their thermal stuff for them?
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...