Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • entgegnen
    • Jun 2016

SE7600 vs 7600StorEdge?

As I am reading about the 7600W Solar Edge "SE7600" I couldn't help but find myself confused... can someone explain to me the difference between the single-phase 7.6kWh inverter and the 7.6kWh StorEdge?

From the look of it, the "StorEdge" seems to be a system of sorts, of which the SE7600 is just one part. My thinking is if I went with the SE7600 that perhaps later on I could add the remaining components for a total/partial home energy solution....

Thanks in advance!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by entgegnen
    As I am reading about the 7600W Solar Edge "SE7600" I couldn't help but find myself confused... can someone explain to me the difference between the single-phase 7.6kWh inverter and the 7.6kWh StorEdge?

From the look of it, the "StorEdge" seems to be a system of sorts, of which the SE7600 is just one part. My thinking is if I went with the SE7600 that perhaps later on I could add the remaining components for a total/partial home energy solution....

Thanks in advance!

First the SE7600 is not a 7.6kw inverter. it is an 8.35kw inverter.
    Both the SE7600 and Storedge use the same inverter.
    Both include other parts though. The other parts are different, mainly the DC disconnection box that is connected to the bottom of the inverter.
    The Storedge one has more connections in it for DC, and another AC connection.

There is an upgrade path for the SE7600 to the storedge which replaces the disconnect box.
    You also have other components like a consumption meter, and auto transformer.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• sensij
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2014

Butch, can you point me to a PVOutput site that shows a 7600 W inverter producing more than that? I'm curious... my 3000 W inverter lists 3300 W as the max output on the data sheet, but in fact produces no more than 3000 W (clearly clipping under the right conditions). I looked for a setting that might unlock higher output, but it is set at 100% and does not appear to be adjustable to a value higher than that.

The 7600 W inverter has a max rated output of 32 A, which at 240 V is 7680 W. 32 A is an important rating, because it allows the inverter to connect into a panel using a 40 A breaker. If the inverter can truly produce 8.35 kW continuously, that feels like mismatch in the ratings, unless they try to justify it by saying it isn't continuous at that power.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ButchDeal
        ButchDeal commented
        Editing a comment
        The 3000 and 3800 are the same other than the label and limit settings. We had one that was miss configured and they changed the cinfiguration remotely.

Though I should say you are deffinitly right the 8.35k is peak. We don't oversize that much, but I have some 7600s with cloud edge effect peaks at 7.9kw
    • entgegnen
      • Jun 2016

Thanks ButchDeal-

I must admit, the naming conventions used by the various companies are confusing. E.g. An Enphase 215 actually handles 225W. Or the SolarEdge Inverters are labeled as 5,6,7600, 100000.... although they apparently can handle more... I was thinking I was just following SolarEdges very own product page (cut and paste of part of it below)... for the unindoctrinated consumer.... perhaps they should explain why they label is SE7600... when perhaps SE8350 would be more accurate?
      Single Phase Inverter

• 3kW, 3.8kW, 5kW, 6kW, 7.6kW, 10kW, 11.4kW,
      • Replaced Models - refer to Discontinued section in Downloads page
      Three Phase Inverter - 208V

• 9kW, 14.4kW
      Three Phase Inverter - 480V

• 10kW, 20kW, 33.3kW
      StorEdge Inverter

• 7.6kW

Comment

• entgegnen
        • Jun 2016

Thanks ButchDeal -

I must admit the naming conventions are confusing the the unindoctrinated consumer... cut and paste below from the SolarEdge Website.... perhaps the SE7600 should be renamed as the SE8350?
        Single Phase Inverter

• 3kW, 3.8kW, 5kW, 6kW, 7.6kW, 10kW, 11.4kW,
        • Replaced Models - refer to Discontinued section in Downloads page
        Three Phase Inverter - 208V

• 9kW, 14.4kW
        Three Phase Inverter - 480V

• 10kW, 20kW, 33.3kW
        StorEdge Inverter

• 7.6kW

Comment

• entgegnen
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by sensij
          Butch, can you point me to a PVOutput site that shows a 7600 W inverter producing more than that? I'm curious... my 3000 W inverter lists 3300 W as the max output on the data sheet, but in fact produces no more than 3000 W (clearly clipping under the right conditions). I looked for a setting that might unlock higher output, but it is set at 100% and does not appear to be adjustable to a value higher than that.

The 7600 W inverter has a max rated output of 32 A, which at 240 V is 7680 W. 32 A is an important rating, because it allows the inverter to connect into a panel using a 40 A breaker. If the inverter can truly produce 8.35 kW continuously, that feels like mismatch in the ratings, unless they try to justify it by saying it isn't continuous at that power.
          It seems (in addition to being a mismatch in the ratings) more like a mismatch in the labeling? SE7600 might better be called SE8350 if it really handles 8.35kw?

Comment

• ButchDeal
            ButchDeal commented
            Editing a comment
            it is peak power output. The SE6000 is the only one with no head room. We see closer to 250V on many of the locations
        • huge
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2016

Which batteries can the storedge work with? Only the tesla? I saw somewhere mentioning that it can work with an LGChem battery, but couldn't find much more info than that.

Is it worth paying almost double for the storedge version for potential future addition of a battery, or better to wait for the upgrade kit to upgrade the regular to the storedge?

Comment

• Lucky 777
            • Jun 2016

I have an SE7600 that regularly hits 8kw. The internal limiting is set to 8.4kw according to the menu.

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

The reason for the confusing inverter sizes is to deal with the NEC backfeed rule which limits the continuous max current into a 200A service to 80% of 40A at 240Vac. 240 x 40 x 80% = 7.68kW thus the 7700 inverter size. now if the voltage is higher or if the current isn't "continuous" then an inverter could be seen going over that.
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• entgegnen
                entgegnen commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the explanation solaris!

Question - is the 7700 a typo (e.g. did you mean 7600?)

Also, Lucky777 says his 7600 regularly hits 8K (I guess this means his panels sometimes generate as much as 8K at a single moment in time?) but that the SE7600 can actually handle up to 8.4kw (at any one moment in time) based upon internal settings?

So here is where I get confused - if I have a 7.68 kw module/panel system - will the max be 7.68 kw at any moment in time? Or will it potentially be greater based upon conditions? Or will it usually be less (based upon loss, etc?)

E.g. does that 320W module/panel ever go above 320W? Or is it usually below it?
            • Lucky 777
              • Jun 2016

I have 29 LG 315 watt panels on the roof, which works out to over 9 kW at maximum specs. Of course in practice I don't expect to ever see 9 kW but am pretty happy to get 8.

Comment

Working...