SolarEdge and Solar Log data accessibilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge and Solar Log data accessibilty

My system (27 LG 315 panels, P320 optimizers, SolarEdge 7600 inverter) tracks production data using two separate pieces of equipment: the SolarEdge inverter, which sends info to the SolarEdge monitoring website at some unknown interval, and then the website makes the data available in 15 minute intervals, and a Solar Log Model 350 revenue meter, which seems to log data at 5 minute intervals. The revenue meter was installed (I assume) for the purposes of tracking SRECs, and communicates with the Solar Log monitoring portal internet website via cellular network.

I've noticed that when comparing total data from various days, the SolarEdge inverter over-reports, or the solar log under reports, data by about 2% relative to each other. It's a small amount, but one that seems curious. Anyone else seen this or have any thoughts?

Some additional questions regarding access to data that is being logged by each device:

The SolarEdge inverter is connected to the internet using a LAN cable connect to my home network (switch - router - cable modem). It seems odd that I need to go out onto the web to the SolarEdge internet site to access the inverter data, when the inverter is already communicating over my home network. Is there a way to access the inverter data directly from my home computer network, without logging into the SolarEdge site?

Also, the Solar Log meter produces nice production graphs using data collected on 5-minute intervals, however, I don't see a way to download the Solar Log data from their website like you can with the SolarEdge data. Anyone thoughts of how to get Solar Log to provide the 5-minute data in a spreadsheet?

Thank you.

You can not get the data directly from the SolarEdge inverter via TCP/IP unless you redirect with DNS to make a local computer appear to be the cloud server. I agree it is annoying that the only data access is through the cloud.

The SolarEdge inverter daily energy report is typically inflated by 3-4% (on a clear day) over what a revenue grade meter would report. If you calculate energy by summing up the 15 min (or 5 min) power data, you will get a more accurate result. This is what PVOutput does with its SolarEdge uploader... you could consider creating a system there to save yourself the trouble of doing it manually.

I am not familiar with how to interact with the Solar Log, as integrated into the SolarEdge system. I would guess it is available through the API... have you looked there?

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Is this related?
      https://jasonneylon.wordpress.com/20...rom-solar-log/

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        You can not get the data directly from the SolarEdge inverter via TCP/IP unless you redirect with DNS to make a local computer appear to be the cloud server. I agree it is annoying that the only data access is through the cloud.

The SolarEdge inverter daily energy report is typically inflated by 3-4% (on a clear day) over what a revenue grade meter would report. If you calculate energy by summing up the 15 min (or 5 min) power data, you will get a more accurate result. This is what PVOutput does with its SolarEdge uploader... you could consider creating a system there to save yourself the trouble of doing it manually.

I am not familiar with how to interact with the Solar Log, as integrated into the SolarEdge system. I would guess it is available through the API... have you looked there?
        There has to be a way to get the data straight from the inverter. There is a ton of data that is available by scrolling through the on-board inverter menu screens. Is there really no way of accessing this data other than scrolling through the screens? Why would SolarEdge set up the inverter so that they only way to look at the data is through the tiny on-board screen? That doesn't make any sense to me. Thoughts?

Regarding PVOutput, I've set up a page from my system (Called "DroneTargetSystem") however, I've discovered that entering data into that system is quite difficult. I've requested that my installer provide an API key to allow autoloading, but he's busy and hasn't got back to me and so I assume he's not really interested in helping me out with it.

Regarding Solar Log, how would I access the data through API? Is this something that the installer would be required to help out with? If so, it seems unlikely based on his lack of response to my SolarEdge request.

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
          Nice link, I learned something about excel looking at that, but unfortunately the procedure posted seems to only allow you to download a file that provides total daily output; I'd like to be able to download the 5-minute data for an entire day.

Comment

Originally posted by brewbeer View Post

There has to be a way to get the data straight from the inverter. There is a ton of data that is available by scrolling through the on-board inverter menu screens. Is there really no way of accessing this data other than scrolling through the screens? Why would SolarEdge set up the inverter so that they only way to look at the data is through the tiny on-board screen? That doesn't make any sense to me. Thoughts?

Regarding PVOutput, I've set up a page from my system (Called "DroneTargetSystem") however, I've discovered that entering data into that system is quite difficult. I've requested that my installer provide an API key to allow autoloading, but he's busy and hasn't got back to me and so I assume he's not really interested in helping me out with it.

Regarding Solar Log, how would I access the data through API? Is this something that the installer would be required to help out with? If so, it seems unlikely based on his lack of response to my SolarEdge request.
            If your installer is not responsive about creating the API key for you, you can try requesting help from SolarEdge directly. Other forum members have been able to work around non-responsive installers that way. With the API key and auto-uploader, the data entry into PVOutput is easy/automatic.

Yes, it is frustrating that the only way to get the data communicated from the inverter locally is by spoofing the portal. The screen and the portal really are the only ways though, unless you want to use the Modbus connection instead of the LAN. Even then, you can't get individual optimizer data, only inverter totals. The full set of optimizer data can *only* be accessed through the portal (or a spoofed portal with the necessary message parsing). There are proprietary aspects of SolarEdge that I am uncomfortable with, and this is one of them, but that is how they have chosen to build their system. I've looked hard for a way around it, but if you find something I didn't, I would love to hear about it.

I misunderstood Solar Log... I thought it was more integrated into SolarEdge. If it is a standalone monitoring system, I am not familiar with it at all.

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...
            X