Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n4pgw
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sunking

I just caught this. No problem easy fix. Gotta eat dinner, back in a while with FIX.
    LOL

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

OK ready Cowboy? Here we go. You are going to kick yourself this is so dang easy.

Materials Required:
      • 1 1/4 to 1/2 watt 10K resistor.
      • 2 In-Line fuses. One 30 amp you should already have to your radio equipment. Second one 20 amps goes to battery in the event the Crow-Bar circuit fires and the battery will not be able to back-feed the LM-723 regulator.
      • Soldering iron 25 to 40 watt
      • Solder.
      • Exacto Knife, even a pocket knife will work.
      • Hand Tools.
      Modification: Installation is straight forward:

A) Cut the trace on the PCB between Pin 4 of IC UA723 and the wiper of R5.
      B) Bridge the cut trace with a 10K ohm 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor
      C) Set the output voltage by adjusting R5 to desired "float" voltage with no load or battery connected to the power supply.

It is HIGHLY recommended that a fuse rated at equal to or less than the maximum current rating of the power supply be installed between the battery and the power supply. This will protect your system in the event that the power supply's crowbar circuit fires and tries to pull the current of the battery to ground.

Recommended hook up should be:
      1.) Hook equipment to the battery through a fuse.
      2.) Hook battery to power supply through a second fuse.

In this configuration your equipment is being powered by the the power supply. The power supply is serving three functions:

1. Keeping the battery fully charged.
      2. Aid during high current draws. It will also allow the battery to act as a surge protector adding some additional protection to your equipment from line surges.
      3. Recharge battery after power failure.

Only the King will do this for you on this Forum. No one else here would bother and not many even know how except maybe one or two people.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

All hail the King
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
          All hail the King
          LOL,
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
            All hail the King
            Oh, I get it. The King! I always just thought that Sunking was the past tense of Sinking.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog

Oh, I get it. The King! I always just thought that Sunking was the past tense of Sinking.
              I like that.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• sfpcservice
                • Feb 2016

I spoke with several solar controller manufacturers and the only company that said you can power their equipment with a power supply was Morningstar; and only with their MPPT line. I actually removed my RV battery charger/converter and replaced it with a sunsaver MPPT controller driven by a 24v power supply. When I get solar panels I will rig up a transfer switch to change from solar to power supply and vice versa. I made a video detailing my setup, which is working great. I even have a switch installed that can change between two programmed charging profiles:

Comment

Using a DC power supply as a PV panel substitute? [FONT=&amp][SIZE=14px]
                  Morningstar PWM controllers are not designed to properly process input from a DC power supply. This type of input is not recommended and is connected at the user

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by JLFH
                    Using a DC power supply as a PV panel substitute? [FONT=&amp][SIZE=14px]
                    Morningstar PWM controllers are not designed to properly process input from a DC power supply. This type of input is not recommended and is connected at the user
                    However, many of their MPPT controllers are able to throttle power properly from a pwr sup or battery
                    "MPPT controllers can be used for this application with no issue."
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

My comments appear incomplete

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JLFH
                        My comments appear incomplete
                        The Forum anti spam software will cut off a post if someone uses an apostrophe from a cell phone or if you try to paste a large amount of text.

Comment

Working...