Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsvm2004
    • Nov 2010

Solar panel wiring and setup

I have build my own solar panel 36 cells at 18 volts. The solar cells are connected in series. I want to build another one maybe the same way. But my question comes I want to get the 600Watt power jack from ebay. How would I go by connecting them to the inverter? I was told to connect them in parrallel, but my solar panel cells are connected in series would that affect anything? I want to get the most out of it. I want to grid tie. Also about how many watts would i get out of this panel? I am figuring about 70 watts. Am I correct?

Eventually I want to get more grid tie inverters and solar panels.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dsvm2004
    I have build my own solar panel.....
    I want to grid tie.
    Eventually I want to get more grid tie inverters and solar panels.
    Then you need to quit wasting your money and time on DIY panels and save your coins for commercial panels and equipment. There is no code compliant way to use DIY panels or equipment for a grid tied system or as any part of your homes premises wiring system. No authority with jurisdiction will issue you a building permit or pass inspection, nor will the utility connect you.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Hi dsvm2004 - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

What Sunking pointed out rather bluntly is that in the US you will not manage to connect to the grid with DIY panels/equipment.

You can do off grid with a battery based system. It should not be physically in contact with the house but a stand alone arrangement.

The UL or other agencies approval will be required by one or more of the agencies you would have to deal with. Certainly the utility will require it. Homeowners insurance requires it for your coverage to be effective.

At present panel costs are far less than just a couple of years back - not as prohibitive as they were in the past.

There are a number of DIY types here that have a wealth of experience they share quite nicely.

Welcome once again,
      Russ
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...