My understanding is that a string inverter effectively takes all the dc power produced by all panels and converts it to ac power. I also understand the issue with a string inverter is that if one panel is shaded, the output of all the panels drops to match the shaded panel.(?) I assume we are referring to shade from neighboring houses, trees, etc. What about the shade cast from a vent pipe or chimney? Is that enough shade to worry about?

From reading this forum, I also understand that Enphase micro inverters effectively distribute the inverter to each panel. Therefore, if one panel is shaded, the it does not affect the other panel outputs. The issue here is multiple points of failure...and I guess their track record is somewhat spotty? In addition, somewhat costly to fix since the devices are on the roof.

I also read that the SolarEdge Inverter system is somewhat of a hybrid of the above two technologies. Optimizers are places on each panel and the interverter is on the wall near the electrical box. I imagine the inverter in this system is easier to replace? I also assume the optimizers would be more work to replace (same as the microinverter tech). Can any vouch for the durability of the SolarEdge optimizers?

What is the relative cost of each inverter system listed above?

My system will most likely have 2 seperate arrays. Should/could I consider using 2 string inverters? Would this save any money? (assuming no shade issues)