X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by NABCEP Russ
    Yes, but in most States, the legal use of the term engineering regarding what an organization is practicing is limited to that which is done under the supervision of a licensed PE. Sure most of the grunt work is done by non PE's, but a group of non PE's cannot get together and design something and then legally represent their work as engineering.
    Specify/clarify what you intend to say - What you stated above as a generality is incorrect. Also specify that you are talking about one state I suppose.

As there are members worldwide it is difficult to guess when someone starts discussing one small state.

I have no interest in looking up the states problems.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• NABCEP Russ
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by russ
      Specify/clarify what you intend to say - What you stated above as a generality is incorrect. Also specify that you are talking about one state I suppose.

As there are members worldwide it is difficult to guess when someone starts discussing one small state.

I have no interest in looking up the states problems.

Russ
      Sure it's not correct as a generality across all fields of engineering in every country in the world, but in most states in the US, in the field we're discussing it is the case. I thought it was assumed I wasn't talking about mechanical, aerospace, or even sanitation engineering because that's not the field we're talking about.
      Your single source for sustainable home improvements: [URL="www.eco-merica.com"]www.eco-merica.com[/URL]

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

You are a tiresome sort are you not?

What is your degree? Asking for the 3rd time?
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• NABCEP Russ
          • Feb 2011

You are a tiresome sort are you not?

What is your degree? Asking for the 3rd time?
          Post #29

"My degree is in Civil Engineering, my professional career has been involved with a mixture of electrical, structural, and land development work."

I haven't dropped the subject because every post I've made since I joined the site has been met with an unnecessarily abrasive reply from you. I joined with the intention of providing some quality advice and content to the site but have been thoroughly discouraged to do so by you the moderator. Not a great way to encourage people to contribute to your site
          Your single source for sustainable home improvements: [URL="www.eco-merica.com"]www.eco-merica.com[/URL]

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Thank you for the explanation about the degree. It is important to forum member to know where people are coming from - what the basis is.

I welcome people as I see they ask to be welcomed. Generally I am quite easy going but have never turned down an argument either.

Don't really mean to be abrasive but you come on strong - for a first time poster. You don't know abrasive until you tangle with Sunking!

So the certificate from NABCEP is in sales I guess.

Russ
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• NABCEP Russ
              • Feb 2011

Thank you for the explanation about the degree. It is important to forum member to know where people are coming from - what the basis is.

I welcome people as I see they ask to be welcomed. Generally I am quite easy going but have never turned down an argument either.

Don't really mean to be abrasive but you come on strong - for a first time poster. You don't know abrasive until you tangle with Sunking!

So the certificate from NABCEP is in sales I guess.

Russ
              I apologize for coming on strong. I forget sometimes how the anonymity of the internet makes things come across.

And no, the certification is not in sales, but in installation. See Here

I've been in charge of the installation of thousands of solar panels and have been doing this for some time now. I feel I have a lot I can contribute to this site pulling from my industry experience.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Hi NABCEP Russ - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk then!

We always look forward to input from people in the industry. I expect that 95% plus of the buyers of solar systems have little idea of what they are getting into. It is all too easy for them to have a bad experience.

That is what we would like to try to prevent.

Russ
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Russ,
                  Did you hop over to Sunking's for BBQ and pick up some scratchy sandpaper ??

I'm busy for a couple days, and at least this looks like you've all got it sorted out on your own.

Welcome NABCEP Russ

Mike
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Pepelepew
                    • Jun 2011

Power Company Requirements and Rebates Available?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask a quick question as to the requirements from an electric co-op when installing a grid-tie system. I am in a rural area where permits I don't believe are required but have not researched it as of yet. Just wondering if the co-op would pick up the tab when it comes time to tie into the grid and if not what would they charge?

Thanks

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Pepelepew
                      Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask a quick question as to the requirements from an electric co-op when installing a grid-tie system. I am in a rural area where permits I don't believe are required but have not researched it as of yet. Just wondering if the co-op would pick up the tab when it comes time to tie into the grid and if not what would they charge?

Thanks
                      Each system has it's own rules and guidelines. Generally, they want an electrical inspection, (county or their own) and data certifying all is safe to connect to the grid (UL specs on the gear used in the solar system)

They cover no charges, you pay it all.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

You really need to sit down with the appropriate person from the electrical co-op to talk about the possibilities and the problems.

Bring the problem areas back and maybe the guys can assist you in getting around them.

Russ
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Pepelepew
                          Hi everyone,

Thanks
                          Coops policies vary widely, and in most cases do not fall under public utility commission control. Here in TX most of the Coops will not even allow grid tied systems because there is no benefit. The ones who do allow them only pay wholesale prices for the excess you generate. None I know of will pay you one dime of subsidies as that would raise the coop members utility rates.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Naptown
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2011

Net metering will vary state to state.
                            The best place to check out the rules for your location if you are in the US is
                            dsireusa.org They will have links to the net metering laws in your state
                            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• vintovka
                              • Aug 2009

[QUOTE=NABCEP Russ;18560]1. Lagging every rafter is ridiculous and a large expense. A properly flashed attachment point costs about $35 to install. Say a typical, code compliant install has 50 roof penetrations. Lagging every rafter would triple that number to 150, costing an extra $3,500. If you use a reputable manufacturer's mounting hardware, follow the engineering guidelines, & check to make sure every rafter was a direct hit with the lag bolt you will be fine. Every major mounting system like UniRac and Ironridge has been designed by structural engineers. You should follow their recommendations, not waste money on excessive holes in your roof.

I would not sign off on any install design without full lagging located in a wind dominant area. I find wind to be the primary force for design basis in almost every design. Even earthquake forces seem less in most cases. As for costs I see contract labor always being more than equipment. Extra hardware is a comfort when the wind is ripping at your panels and labor is gone. Extra hardware (like rebar) in some of the countries I've worked in could and would contibue to save untold numbers of lives.
                              Vintovka
                              RCE, PE
                              retired environmental engineer
                              _

"the enviroment is lost, get used to it"

Comment

• NABCEP Russ
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by vintovka
                                I would not sign off on any install design without full lagging located in a wind dominant area. I find wind to be the primary force for design basis in almost every design. Even earthquake forces seem less in most cases. As for costs I see contract labor always being more than equipment. Extra hardware is a comfort when the wind is ripping at your panels and labor is gone. Extra hardware (like rebar) in some of the countries I've worked in could and would contibue to save untold numbers of lives.
                                You're right, wind is typically the dominant force. But if you do the calculations, you will find that attaching to every rafter is way over-designed. Saying you won't sign off on a design if every rafter isn't lagged is pretty darn ignorant. Do you do all of your engineering work over-designed with no regard for the cost?

Also, sure, labor is expensive as well, but for roof penetrations @ $35 each, $30 is materials, $5 is labor.

Comment

Working...