SMA Sunny Boy inverter with SPS (Secure poer supply)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kaeley
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
    I am not dissing the SPS feature and I really like and support the products made by SMA.

What I said was that if there is additional costs (like the receptacle and wiring) needed to take advantage of the SPS option I would have to weigh that cost to what a small portable generator costs me that will provide me "hours" of the full 1500 watts of power anytime of the day. If my outages were mostly during the sunny part of the day then I might lean towards the SPS but my outages are usually when the sun isn't shining so the SPS option is not as justifiable to me than maybe others.
    The SPS installation cost about an extra $150 installed. It appears to be an easy thing to do. However to keep the warranty I would let the installer do it. He is the SMA video that shows the installation of SPS

Last edited by kaeley; 06-24-2015, 11:54 AM. Reason: wrong link

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kaeley
      The SPS installation cost about an extra $150 installed. It appears to be an easy thing to do. However to keep the warranty I would let the installer do it. He is the SMA video that shows the installation of SPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=192&v=BaJP4P8pikg
      Sounds like that $150 is worth spending to get full function out of the SPS option. I would just be careful what load you connect to it during a grid outage.

You want to make sure your load is first "not critical" and second can handle intermittent power outages should clouds come over for brief periods.

Not a problem for some lighting or fan loads but I would not run any type of compressor load (small fridge or A/C unit) because they do not like to see intermittent power.

Even some cheap battery chargers will "restart" their charge at the beginning should power be interrupted during a cycle.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=192&v=BaJP4P8pikg
        My biggest objection is that he mentions that #18 wire is sufficient (in terms of VD only) to run up to 75 feet, but he does not mention the minimum wire size required by the NEC for a branch circuit (#14 in most cases.)
        My second objection is where he said that a GFCI is not needed since there is built in overload protection in the circuit. That is not why a GFCI would be installed and it does not provide any overload protection in the first place.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• kaeley
          • Jun 2015

My idea with a SPS is to use a remote power supply like a computer battery back up to connect to SPS and then charge things from it or use small electrical things and keep it charged during the day with the solar power SPS feature. I need computer battery back up anyway and it would also act as a surge protector and give me a smooth power supply for small items. At 1500 watts and 15amps I don't expect to run major appliances for that I have two 2000 watt Yamaha inverter generators that you can wire together that give 25 amps and 4,000 peak watts which can run my fridge.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by paris401
            I'm trying to figure out which way to go... I've decided on 34 300lg's instead of SP 335's... I have lots of roof, and they extra $$$ for the SP panels will prob have a 10year (+) payback.. so lg's it will be ...but do I go with the sma's, or the solar edge... while my roof is not a perfect southern exposure , its real good for producing power, no shading ... I installed 17 327's SP's panels at my sons house, and he has a perfect south view... not a tree with 500feet... and the installer used solaredge

just wondering which way to go, and is one more $$$ then the other
            Solar edge is generally not in the Sunpower offering of inverters.
            That may have to do with the rapid shut down requirement in the 2014 NEC.
            SMA , ABB and Fromius are just now catching up
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

My idea with a SPS is to use a remote power supply like a computer battery back up to connect to SPS and then charge things from it or use small electrical things and keep it charged during the day with the solar power SPS feature. I need computer battery back up anyway and it would also act as a surge protector and give me a smooth power supply for small items. At 1500 watts and 15amps I don't expect to run major appliances for that I have two 2000 watt Yamaha inverter generators that you can wire together that give 25 amps and 4,000 peak watts which can run my fridge.
              Ok. You do know that the SPS option only works when the grid is down and you have initiated the manual sequence of turning it on. I also think it requires you to manually turn it off once the grid comes back.

So wouldn't you just use the "grid" to charge your computer battery back up system (UPS) anytime of the day and if there is a power outage you are going to run a generator anyway so adding that UPS to it's load may actually make the generator run more efficient.

I still do not see the need for the SPS function but again that is my opinion. Others may have a different one.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

The greatest need it satisfies is an emotional one, IMHO. Which is not to be ignored.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                  The greatest need it satisfies is an emotional one, IMHO. Which is not to be ignored.
                  Or it is a justification for those that have spent a lot of money installing a pv system and don't like the idea that they can't use it during a grid outage.

"If I can't use the whole thing I want to at least use part of it"

Comment

• kaeley
                    • Jun 2015

Or it is a justification for those that have spent a lot of money installing a pv system and don't like the idea that they can't use it during a grid outage.

""
                    LOL I would definitely say that "If I can't use the whole thing I want to at least use part of it" fits me well.

Comment

• solarix
                      Super Moderator
                      • Apr 2015

As a dealer, I definitely agree that the best use of the SPS is as an answer to the sales objection: "you mean - I just bought this $20k solar system, and during an outage I'll be SOL just like my neighbors?"
                      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• solarfrank
                        • Apr 2015

SPS works when the grid is down and you have to do it manually.
                        Some AHJ doesn't allow this option to be installed, I know sound stupid, but plan checkers and inspectors doesn't understand how is working and they don't allow it on their territories.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by solarfrank
                          SPS works when the grid is down and you have to do it manually.
                          Some AHJ doesn't allow this option to be installed, I know sound stupid, but plan checkers and inspectors doesn't understand how is working and they don't allow it on their territories.
                          What do they cite in prohibiting it? It is UL-listed and NEC compliant.
                          Some communities do not allow portable generators either, but at least they pass an ordinance about it.

Comment

• solarfrank
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
                            What do they cite in prohibiting it? It is UL-listed and NEC compliant.
                            Some communities do not allow portable generators either, but at least they pass an ordinance about it.
                            NEC , but their explanation was a BS .

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by solarfrank
                              NEC , but their explanation was a BS .
                              In theory, they need to cite a specific Code section, not just a general "NEC". But some sections are subject to bizarre interpretation with not much chance to appeal.

Comment

• kaeley
                                • Jun 2015

Ok. You do know that the SPS option only works when the grid is down and you have initiated the manual sequence of turning it on. I also think it requires you to manually turn it off once the grid comes back.

So wouldn't you just use the "grid" to charge your computer battery back up system (UPS) anytime of the day and if there is a power outage you are going to run a generator anyway so adding that UPS to it's load may actually make the generator run more efficient.

I still do not see the need for the SPS function but again that is my opinion. Others may have a different one.

You might be right but the generator lasts only as my supply of gasoline and in a major grid down you would not be able to buy gasoline. So I could use the battery UPS to run a led light and a small radio at night and recharge when the sun shines.

Comment

Working...