X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverhorsefarm
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2010

enphase monitoring

Just installed a 11.34 kw PV array with Enphase microinverters and promised monitoring. I plugged the modem (Envoy) in to my router and it found the internet almost immediately, but it cannot find the powerline telemetry from the inverters.

I am going to try a different Envoy unit later today, but was wondering if anyone knows about the transmission distance limitations of the Enphase/Envoy system. The PV array is about 75 meters away from the house and I was thinking that the inverter telemetry is attenuating over that distance such that the Envoy modem can no longer hear the signal.

Any thoughts?
    SHF produces something besides manure!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

have it working, and approved utility tie-in before you pay the vendor the final check.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2010

It's grid-tied, and it is definitely producing power. Unfortunately, it's all bought and paid for, I just can't seem to get the monitoring to work.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Also, with Enphase, the data is encrypted, and you pay separately, yearly, for monitoring privileges. Nice way to set up a revenue stream for a 20year life product.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2010

I am getting the monitoring as part of my contract.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

The vendor/installer is supposed to be able to set that up, if you paid for the package, they are supposed to deliver. Pressure them.

Comment

• blacnight
              • Jul 2010

Mike was wondering about building my own panels using the enphase micro inverter. Also in a couple of your post you mention water vapor. I am new to this but it looks like if I do the work with buying an enphase inverter I can make a complete panel grid tied for about $400.00. Does this seem right to you? I am not interested in batteries I just want to produce as much electric as possible. Sorry about where I placed this post as I am new to this whole thing . Delete if necessary.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by blacnight
                Mike was wondering about building my own panels using the enphase micro inverter. Also in a couple of your post you mention water vapor. I am new to this but it looks like if I do the work with buying an enphase inverter I can make a complete panel grid tied for about $400.00. Does this seem right to you? I am not interested in batteries I just want to produce as much electric as possible. Sorry about where I placed this post as I am new to this whole thing . Delete if necessary.
                Legally, you cannot use home built (non-UL approved) panels in/on any insured structure. And, as strange as it sounds, you can't feed non-UL electricity from your own panels, into a micro-inverter, and then legally, feed it into the grid. But hey, I'm not a lawyer.
                Grid Tied is about 95% of harvest, into usable power, add batteries and it drops to about 50%.

Comment

• blacnight
                  • Jul 2010

Tying into grid

Mike, you mean to tell me that all these sites on building your own solar panels really only work if you are not tying into the grid but using a battery bank.(legally) Does that mean I would have to get my electrians license,get UL approved to build my own panels and then grid tie. Also how did you get so knowledgeable and how long have you been doing this. I'm not questioning your knowledge merely interested in how I can become more knowledgeable in this field.

Comment

• fromport
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by silverhorsefarm
                    it cannot find the powerline telemetry from the inverters. The PV array is about 75 meters away from the house and I was thinking that the inverter telemetry is attenuating over that distance such that the Envoy modem can no longer hear the signal.
                    What happens when you take the envoy and hook it up where the panels are (make temp 120 volt connection).
                    If if finds the inverter there , you might have to pull aqn extra ethernet cable (max length is 185 meter on 100 megabit/s after
                    a switch port)

I had to put my envoy very close (about 3 feet) from the main breaker box in order to get decent signal. My panels/inverters are about 30 meters away from the main breaker box.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Walt_Solartown
                      • Jul 2010

I think you are too far away! Have read that the maximum distance of the Envoy from the microinverters is 150'. I have a setup on my garage/carriage house but could not get the Envoy to find the inverters from inside my house and the distance is less than 150'. Envoy finds the inverters when installed inside the carriage house. Also don't plug the Envoy into a power strip!

Comment

• Mike90250
                        • May 2009

I think you are too far away! Have read that the maximum distance of the Envoy from the microinverters is 150'. I have a setup on my garage/carriage house but could not get the Envoy to find the inverters from inside my house and the distance is less than 150'. Envoy finds the inverters when installed inside the carriage house.
                        Sometimes, you need to check to make sure the envoy, is on the same "phase" as the inverters. Power line communications can't "jump from phase A to phase B" (L1 to L2)

Also don't plug the Envoy into a power strip!
                        Untrue. Don't use a FILTERED power strip. There are many plain power strips that don't have internal filters and surge suppressors.

Comment

• Walt_Solartown
                          • Jul 2010

So I have about 10 different power strips in my house. Without the packaging, is there any way to tell if a power strip is filtered or not?

Comment

• trbizwiz
                            • Jul 2010

There should be a manufacturer and model number on each strip. that information and google should help you out. I am guessing the cheapest ones don't have it, if you remember how much they cost.

Comment

• EdgarNewt
                              • Aug 2009

Apologies for the cross post

Does anybody here have experience with both Enphase and Tigo Energy? I am struggling with which technology to use in a grid-tied, residential installation. I have been asking questions in a different branch of SolarPanelTalk's forums and it occurs to me that this might be the better category.

Really struggling to figure out which technology to use....

Here is a link to the other thread: http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?t=1998

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comment

Working...