Inverter Manufacturer - Best Quality/Most reliable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Manufacturer - Best Quality/Most reliable

I've purchased some land and I'm considering a solar solution for power off-grid as opposed to running the power lines from the utility company.

After doing some investigation into inverters, it appears that there are a lot newer companies coming on the market that offer additional features and new technology. However, I've also seen a few of these inverters out there being sold remanufactured. I've gotten fairly consistent predictions on solar panel and battery life but not for inverters and charge controllers. I'm concerned about companies just selling inverters with a cost value and functional goal in mind, skimping on quality components and manufacturing quality control to keep costs down.

I want to build this system to be as reliable and rock solid as I can. Cost will be a factor after considering the reliability. Any recdomendations on:

1. Best brand of inverters and charge controllers consistent with above goals
    2. Best configuration/setup to help extend the life for these components in the system

Recommended guides or resources to help address these questions?

Originally posted by staticGenerator View Post
    I've purchased some land and I'm considering a solar solution for power off-grid as opposed to running the power lines from the utility company.

After doing some investigation into inverters, it appears that there are a lot newer companies coming on the market that offer additional features and new technology. However, I've also seen a few of these inverters out there being sold remanufactured. I've gotten fairly consistent predictions on solar panel and battery life but not for inverters and charge controllers. I'm concerned about companies just selling inverters with a cost value and functional goal in mind, skimping on quality components and manufacturing quality control to keep costs down.

I want to build this system to be as reliable and rock solid as I can. Cost will be a factor after considering the reliability. Any recdomendations on:

1. Best brand of inverters and charge controllers consistent with above goals
    2. Best configuration/setup to help extend the life for these components in the system

Recommended guides or resources to help address these questions?
    Hi staticGenerator and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I would start with a quote to run mains power to your property, you need to know the costs of both options. Then start reading the off-grid stickies re sizing / designing a off-grid system. You will get a feel for the types/brands of inverters and charge controllers in those threads. Your right to be concerned with inverter quality, dont buy cheap chinese inverters, they are crap. I like SMA but they are expensive, Xantrex get a good rap from various people around here as well, but there are several good brands that will do the job. Other more experienced campainers may pop into to help you out, but start with the reading and you should be right, good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
      Hi staticGenerator and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I would start with a quote to run mains power to your property, you need to know the costs of both options. Then start reading the off-grid stickies re sizing / designing a off-grid system. You will get a feel for the types/brands of inverters and charge controllers in those threads. Your right to be concerned with inverter quality, dont buy cheap chinese inverters, they are crap. I like SMA but they are expensive, Xantrex get a good rap from various people around here as well, but there are several good brands that will do the job. Other more experienced campainers may pop into to help you out, but start with the reading and you should be right, good luck with it.
      +1. Good advice pete.

Comment

Power lines will likely be the most economic route to go both initially and long term.

Firs thing you have to do is determine how many watt hours you need in a day. Depending on location for each Kwh will initially cost you rough $2500 to $3000 with $1200 of that in battery cost. That is just for the panels, controller and batteries with nothing else like all the hardware, spill containment, permits, material and inverter. In 5 years you replace the batteries at even higher cost. Battery cost alone is 60 to 70-cents per Kwh and utilities charge 8 to 20-cents depending on location. You want to live like a hermit on 10 Kwh per day you are looking at $25,000 just for panels, controller, and batteries.

You need to understand what you are asking for.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

is this off grid, or for Grid Tie ? What's the load, wattage, battery, integral chargers ????
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            is this off grid, or for Grid Tie ? What's the load, wattage, battery, integral chargers ????
            He indicates he prefers off-grid from his opening sentence.

I've purchased some land and I'm considering a solar solution for power off-grid as opposed to running the power lines from the utility company
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              You want to live like a hermit on 10 Kwh per day
              10 kWh/day is living like a hermit? That's a pretty swank log cabin.
              16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
                10 kWh/day is living like a hermit? That's a pretty swank log cabin.
                For some people that 10kWh would be used up by mid morning. For others it could be plenty.

The issue is that most people have no idea of what they use and need every day.

Comment

I have been able to get under 10 KWH a day, when the furnace isn't active. The first
                  step was wiping out 7 KWH a day of phantom loads. No compromises, but no pool
                  pump or 60" TV either. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
                    Other more experienced campainers may pop into to help you out, but start with the reading and you should be right, good luck with it.
                    Thanks! I appreciate the tip.

Comment

Best bang for the buck. Rock solid European Victron Energy - the Quatros are awesome and work well as grid tie units

Comment

My opinion (in no particular order):

Off-grid inverters:
                        Schneider SW (formerly Xantrex, formerly Trace)
                        Outback FX and VFX
                        Magnum PAE

Charge controllers:
                        Midnite Classic
                        Outback FlexMax
                        Morningstar TriStar MPPT
                        Schneider XW-MPPT
                        Solar Queen
                        altE Store

Comment

Working...
                        X