• Show
Clear All
  • Poway
    • Feb 2015

Optitrac Global Peak ... Does it Work

I have read the white papers ... on
    1) Micro inverters (Enphase)
    2) Optimizers (SolarEdge)
    I can understand how these approaches can deal with panels that are shaded or partially shaded or just lower capacity without effecting the performance of other cells.

But haven't seen a good explanation on how SMA Sunnyboy TL with Optitrack (Global Peak) can deal with the situation.
    There is a claim it works. There are posts from several people who have SMA TL inverters who don't see improvement in their perceived shade situations when they turn it on.

Does this work (for partial shade)?
    How does it work?

Thanks
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Poway
    I have read the white papers ... on
    1) Micro inverters (Enphase)
    2) Optimizers (SolarEdge)
    I can understand how these approaches can deal with panels that are shaded or partially shaded or just lower capacity without effecting the performance of other cells.

But haven't seen a good explanation on how SMA Sunnyboy TL with Optitrack (Global Peak) can deal with the situation.
    There is a claim it works. There are posts from several people who have SMA TL inverters who don't see improvement in their perceived shade situations when they turn it on.

Does this work (for partial shade)?
    How does it work?

Thanks
    Optitrak is an MPPT algorithm. It attempts to find the operating voltage that provides the most power out of the array, and does it in a way that is more likely to find the right answer when you have panels coming in and out of shade. Since a string inverter can't adjust the operating state of the individual panels, there is no way for it to deal with shade as effectively as techniques that optimize each panel.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Poway
      • Feb 2015

That is what I thought but hen their video is very deceptive

Originally posted by sensij
      Optitrak is an MPPT algorithm. It attempts to find the operating voltage that provides the most power out of the array, and does it in a way that is more likely to find the right answer when you have panels coming in and out of shade. Since a string inverter can't adjust the operating state of the individual panels, there is no way for it to deal with shade as effectively as techniques that optimize each panel.
      Their video

Shows it dealing with shade almost perfectly.

The only reason i thouht it might work is that SMA is the largest inverter supplier ... wouldnt expect them to just lie.

Thanks

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Poway
        Their video

Shows it dealing with shade almost perfectly.

The only reason i thouht it might work is that SMA is the largest inverter supplier ... wouldnt expect them to just lie.

Thanks
        Welcome to solar. It isn't lying, just creating the circumstances to prove whatever you want, no matter how unlikely those circumstances might be. Optitrack does what it can, but it only works best when the shade is applied in s particular way. Panel level electronics will do much better in the real world.

Edit: keep in mind that even panel optimization can only do so much. Shade during prime portions of the day should be avoided.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Working...