Using a single hot pole 220vAC inverter for 220vAC two 110v pole motor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iBevan
    • Jan 2015

Using a single hot pole 220vAC inverter for 220vAC two 110v pole motor?

can I run a 220vAC 60hz motor that uses two 110vAC, hot legs with a power supply (24vDC to 220vAC 60hz inverter) that is a single 220vAC hot leg, with a nutral and a ground.

Got a 220vAC well in the desert. Solar would be awesome to run this well.
    And I have a wood shop with 220vAC motors.

Thanks,
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by iBevan
    can I run a 220vAC 60hz motor that uses two 110vAC,
    Bevan that does not make any sense. Motors for wells are either 220 or 110. No motor will use two 110 volt circuits. I am pretty sure you just are confused and do not understand what you are looking at which is a 220 volt motor. If so then yes it can be ran with a 240 volt inverter assuming it has the capacity to start and run the motor.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

North American residential power is generally 240VAC split phase. Household circuit breaker panels typically have both power leads connected to alternate breakers, so that a double breaker can provide 240V. You can't get 240V from just one breaker. This sort of stuff you have to get right, you can't just start jabbing wires into things and expect good results. It's good to ask if you are not very clear, but I'll defer to someone else that may be able to explain the fine points of how this works better than I can.
      Last edited by Mike90250; 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

can I run a 220vAC 60hz motor that uses two 110vAC, hot legs with a power supply (24vDC to 220vAC 60hz inverter) that is a single 220vAC hot leg, with a nutral and a ground.

Got a 220vAC well in the desert. Solar would be awesome to run this well.
        And I have a wood shop with 220vAC motors.

Thanks,
        With one exception the motor does not care whether it gets 230V (nominal) from two wires each of which is 115V from ground or from two wires one of which is at 230V and one of which is at ground.
        That exception is that the frame of the motor will be grounded, and the two situations have a different maximum voltage between the insulated wires and the motor frame.
        At 230V that is usually not a big deal since the insulation rating is most often higher than necessary for either case. But it could be a problem for some motors.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• iBevan
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
          With one exception the motor does not care whether it gets 230V (nominal) from two wires each of which is 115V from ground or from two wires one of which is at 230V and one of which is at ground.
          That exception is that the frame of the motor will be grounded, and the two situations have a different maximum voltage between the insulated wires and the motor frame.
          At 230V that is usually not a big deal since the insulation rating is most often higher than necessary for either case. But it could be a problem for some motors.
          You rock. thank you.
          the motor in the shop is a 20 year old Burr King sander that has a speed control that is worth $500, and a $800 motor. The shop is moble and has been plugged into many many different situations. "two 115V wires" Im so looking forward to putting this shop out in the back 40, so to speak.
          I use a 3500 Out Back inverter for everything.

Next concern.
          This 220V inverter produces a modified sine wave. (220V AC RMS +/-10%)
          This 2000 Watt inverter will be running at less than 75% of its continuous capacity.
          Is there a chance This inverter will damage this speed controller or motor?

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

You rock. thank you.
            the motor in the shop is a 20 year old Burr King sander that has a speed control that is worth $500, and a $800 motor. The shop is moble and has been plugged into many many different situations. "two 115V wires" Im so looking forward to putting this shop out in the back 40, so to speak.
            I use a 3500 Out Back inverter for everything.

Next concern.
            This 220V inverter produces a modified sine wave. (220V AC RMS +/-10%)
            This 2000 Watt inverter will be running at less than 75% of its continuous capacity.
            Is there a chance This inverter will damage this speed controller or motor?
            First, I like to call MSW modified square wave, not modified sine wave.
            Second, the motor itself may not mind MSW, although it may vibrate more and there will be somewhat higher stresses on the insulation.
            A solid state controller, on the other hand, especially one that rectifies the incoming AC to produce a DC control voltage, may be damaged by MSW. You cannot generalize without knowing more about the controller in question. A phase type SCR or triac controller will not work well at all with MSW. It may not be damaged, but it will not give useful speed control.
            A VFD would quite likely be damaged by MSW.
            I would go for a true sine wave inverter if it were my system.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by inetdog
              First, I like to call MSW modified square wave, not modified sine wave.
              Ditto

Second, the motor itself may not mind MSW,
              it will most likely buzz and make more noise, and will consume and dissipate (as heat) about 20% more power.

I would go for a true sine wave inverter if it were my system.
              Ditto
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...