X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carafric
    • Oct 2014

Replacing solar panel with a car alternator

Hi all.
    I am new to solar and thus my question will be based on concept. After learning a bit about solar power design, I thought instead of charging the solar batteries using the PV panels(because they are too rectangular) why not charge the same batteries using my car. The batteries get charged during the day as i move around and then later i can plug the batteries into the solar power system(without the 'solar').
    Essentially not needing the solar panels to charge my batteries. However, as i read through this forum there are a lot of technicalities with charging deep cycle batteries from a car's alternator. I figured that the ONLY way to solve this is by controlling the output of the alternator to match that of a similar solar panel (Naive).

There are many variables to consider in charging a deep cycle battery using an alternator.
    Say for a 140AMP @ 12-14.7V alternator rated at 1200RPM, Can I correctly assume its the same as a 1680W solar panel (i.e 140A*12V).?
    Can this be the alternator be controlled so that they can charge the batteries designed for solar, such that, there is no difference between charging with the solar and the alternator. so that both kinds of charging will give same battery life and battery power?
    Is it a more expensive venture compared to using a buying and installing a Solar panel that provided the same power.
    Thank you.
Working...