X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Do they have the DWR bond charge and misc. taxes in them yet ? Missing before. Also, one of the bigger problems w/ SAM's rate structure, besides inaccurate or completely missing energy charge portion was the 20 different billing schedules SDG & E uses with varying # of days/billing period (29 to 32) that rarely conformed to or start on a calendar month and that changed every year on top of that.
    Yes, the rates I'm pulling through SAM include the DWR charge, and match what is shown as the total rate in the Schedule DR effective 8/1/14. There are two entries listed for each of the climate zones to choose from though, but only the first one is correct.

Days per billing period variation definitely sets a ceiling to SAM's ultimate accuracy, and so I've typically been just averaging the days per generation season and using that to set the level of tiers for summer and winter. Not perfect, but it has agreed reasonably well with some of the other numbers you've shared. It supports 12 rate periods, so for a motivated user, each month could be tweaked to have an appropriate number of billing days. It doesn't solve the problem of the number of days changing from one year to the next, but would probably be more accurate than just the seasonal averages.

Also, the 0.17 / day min charge needs to be manually set as a $5.17 minimum monthly charge. Again, an approximation, but close enough for what I've been doing with it. Mostly, I've been relying on SAM for hardware specific energy production estimates that should be slightly improved over PVWatts, and doing the cost estimation work in a spreadsheet. Testing assumption sensitivity in SAM is kind of a pain with either re-simulating or running "parametrics", which itself has some UI quirks, while a spreadsheet can handle it more cleanly, once validated.
    Last edited by sensij; 10-22-2014, 04:19 AM. Reason: added last para
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sensij
      Yes, the rates I'm pulling through SAM include the DWR charge, and match what is shown as the total rate in the Schedule DR effective 8/1/14. There are two entries listed for each of the climate zones to choose from though, but only the first one is correct.

Days per billing period variation definitely sets a ceiling to SAM's ultimate accuracy, and so I've typically been just averaging the days per generation season and using that to set the level of tiers for summer and winter. Not perfect, but it has agreed reasonably well with some of the other numbers you've shared. It supports 12 rate periods, so for a motivated user, each month could be tweaked to have an appropriate number of billing days. It doesn't solve the problem of the number of days changing from one year to the next, but would probably be more accurate than just the seasonal averages.

Also, the 0.17 / day min charge needs to be manually set as a $5.17 minimum monthly charge. Again, an approximation, but close enough for what I've been doing with it. Mostly, I've been relying on SAM for hardware specific energy production estimates that should be slightly improved over PVWatts, and doing the cost estimation work in a spreadsheet. Testing assumption sensitivity in SAM is kind of a pain with either re-simulating or running "parametrics", which itself has some UI quirks, while a spreadsheet can handle it more cleanly, once validated.
      Understood. Sounds like the 2 entries may be for "standard" or "all electric" service - two more conditions in tiered rates that determine daily allowance that sets the baseline tier size which sets the other tier sizes. Glad the SAM rate sit. seems to have improved some. If the entries are for the purposes I describe, both entries for each climate zone are correct, but only one is applicable. See P.U.C. Sheet #24222-E, Sheet 5. I'm "all electric w/generally higher winter daily allowances and thus a bit lower annual bill than someone with "standard" (elec. and gas) service. On the old(er) SAM, I sort of patched the variable # of rate days by messing with the rates some (and corrected them at the same time), and using a rate schedule as close to the 1st of the month as possible for the general case in S.D., and billing cycle 3 from 2009 for my use. Didn't completely solve the problem, but helps some perhaps, keeping in mind it's all an estimate anyway.

I've done some stuff with the parametric anal. and agree it's kind of cranky. Hopefully, it's improved. I'll be using it again soon and get back up to speed on it for the fouling data I've been conjuring up since last spring.

Comment

• AaronG
        • Sep 2014

They started installing today. The roof is prepped with the posts. The rails go down tomorrow and probably panels too. The inverter install tomorrow, but the AC disconnect was done today. New service panel last week...

So the stack of panels I got looks to be newer models than when I ordered. Cool. They are LG305N1C-B3. Initially I was going for LG300N1C-B3.
        More to come. I'm excited though
        lg.jpg
        [URL="http://tiny.cc/SOL"]21xLG305N1C+SE6K[/URL]

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

The 305 instead of 300 may reflect more consistency in the production line output that gives them a higher line yield at the higher nominal power. Or they may have actually changed something to get an improvement.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Bikerscum
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
            The 305 instead of 300 may reflect more consistency in the production line output that gives them a higher line yield at the higher nominal power. Or they may have actually changed something to get an improvement.
            LG shows .3% more efficiency for the 305's.

Progress is good however small
            6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Bikerscum
              LG shows .3% more efficiency for the 305's.

Progress is good however small
              More careful sorting of the same cells most probably.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• AaronG
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by thejq
                Ok, I just reread it again. Maybe you're right -- now I'm not so sure any more. Thanks for pointing out.
                hey thejq,
                I got the PTO today, and switched it on. I havent gotten my solar edge portal login info, but it shows it is sending data there (S_OK). So I hope to see it soon and share it with you guys.

I did see your thread how you have the ZigBee hardware. What all is needed? I have the Ecobee thermostat from SDG&E (Free) that gives me power usage info using ZigBee. So I was wondering if you have that ZigBee hardware, would it show on Solaredge website how much juice you are consuming and how much is generated? Extra metric data basically?
                I may have to add this after the fact on my own dime..

On the other hand if all it does is connect it to the internet, that is useless to me. I ran a CAT-5e cable down to my garage and directly to the inverter. At first the company said they can do Ethernet over Powerline to supply data to it, but it is not 100% reliable. I am happy with CAT-5e.

Comment

• thejq
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by AaronG
                  hey thejq,
                  I got the PTO today, and switched it on. I havent gotten my solar edge portal login info, but it shows it is sending data there (S_OK). So I hope to see it soon and share it with you guys.

I did see your thread how you have the ZigBee hardware. What all is needed? I have the Ecobee thermostat from SDG&E (Free) that gives me power usage info using ZigBee. So I was wondering if you have that ZigBee hardware, would it show on Solaredge website how much juice you are consuming and how much is generated? Extra metric data basically?
                  I may have to add this after the fact on my own dime..

On the other hand if all it does is connect it to the internet, that is useless to me. I ran a CAT-5e cable down to my garage and directly to the inverter. At first the company said they can do Ethernet over Powerline to supply data to it, but it is not 100% reliable. I am happy with CAT-5e.
                  Congrats! No you don't need ZigBee if you already have Cat5e running. It's just a way to connect to the internet if you can't (or don't want to) run cables.

I believe S_OK means your system is running fine, but you need to look at another screen to check if it's connected to the internet. I remember I had to 1.) offline register by entering some keys 2.) set communication to ZigBee (LAN in your case) 3.) check if your LAN is getting IP address. Your installer should do all that for you, if you don't know how, and setup your private and public website access.
                  16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• AaronG
                    • Sep 2014

Congrats! No you don't need ZigBee if you already have Cat5e running. It's just a way to connect to the internet if you can't (or don't want to) run cables.

I believe S_OK means your system is running fine, but you need to look at another screen to check if it's connected to the internet. I remember I had to 1.) offline register by entering some keys 2.) set communication to ZigBee (LAN in your case) 3.) check if your LAN is getting IP address. Your installer should do all that for you, if you don't know how, and setup your private and public website access.
                    Thanks. I am not sure if contacting SolarEdge directly will result in anything. In the interest of getting the answers, I figure I'll post them up here. Here is what I sent to their support@
                    Regarding #1, I thought about this some more, and it is possible that I may be in the Public list of sites you can browse through, find the hyperlink, bookmark it, etc. all tomorrow when some batch job adds me in the night. But I have no idea yet...

#1 How can I display a public viewable site I can share with friends to watch? I want it to not have my full name displayed like how I see it when I login, but instead show something else? Here is an examine of a local guy to me.

If it means I have to change my site name from "MyLastName, MyFirstName" to "San Marcos 6.0k" or "San Marcos 6.405k" that would be fine with me! But I have no knowledge on this. Also my home address is displayed in my portal when I login. I wouldnt want that data visible to the world public either.

#2 when I am in Layout view, I do not see the button that your PDF document shows for switching between Physical and Logical views.

#3 I am surprised to see that I have 1 large string of panels when looking in the layout view. My installer showed me inside the inverter the 2 pairs of leads that he explained were for the two separate sets. He said one set had slightly more panels than the other. Looking at the display on the inverter, you can see one generates slightly more power (of course, more panels).

#4 your manual you show "Production" and "Consumption". I dont see any way to show Consumption. Of course I can get the data from SDG&E, but if there is some way I can get it via my SE setup, I would love to.
                    Last edited by Mike90250; 11-23-2014, 02:07 AM. Reason: munged plain text email address

Comment

• thejq
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2014

1. The public site is not automatically enabled. You need to ask your installer to do that and tell them what public name you like.
                      2. Ask your installer to enable you FULL access to your PRIVATE site.
                      3. I believe with SE optimizer you can tie two strings to the same inverter per spec.
                      4. I don't think SE knows your consumption.

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

That is funny! I thought I had something interesting to say, but didn't. Oh well.
                        Last edited by sensij; 11-21-2014, 12:57 AM. Reason: Brain fart
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• thejq
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by sensij
                          That is funny! The site your installer showed you is actually thejq's public site. You can see it is the same if you click the link in his signature. Same installer, I guess?
                          No, I think he is asking the tech support to create a public site for him, and used mine as an example. I'm not sure if we have the same installer.

Comment

• AaronG
                            • Sep 2014

No, I think he is asking the tech support to create a public site for him, and used mine as an example. I'm not sure if we have the same installer.
                            Exactly. Naw, prob not the same installer, I saw your pics of the build process, they used slightly different rail system, probably just diff people.

I did contact my installer, their engineer guy. He wasnt sure about a public site. He also didnt comment on giving me full rights when I asked. He did mention that he planned on working on my layout portion of my site in a few weeks when he is back from vacation. I still did ask those questions to SolarEdge so maybe they can help with some of it for now. I'll see.
                            Did 28.9kWh yesterday, per the inverter display. However, I didnt have connectivity to the portal until mid-day so the portal shows 19.3kWh.

Comment

• thejq
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2014

Exactly. Naw, prob not the same installer, I saw your pics of the build process, they used slightly different rail system, probably just diff people.

I did contact my installer, their engineer guy. He wasnt sure about a public site. He also didnt comment on giving me full rights when I asked. He did mention that he planned on working on my layout portion of my site in a few weeks when he is back from vacation. I still did ask those questions to SolarEdge so maybe they can help with some of it for now. I'll see.
                              Did 28.9kWh yesterday, per the inverter display. However, I didnt have connectivity to the portal until mid-day so the portal shows 19.3kWh.
                              In my case, my installer set them all up for me. I just had to ask. In addition, you should also get the SolarEdge API key for pvoutput integration. eg. here is mine http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=31988. But for some reason, it always report 0.5-1Kwh less than SolarEdge's own monitoring portal. My guess is that it doesn't pull the data fast enough from SE server, so sometimes it skips.

Comment

• AaronG
                                • Sep 2014

In my case, my installer set them all up for me. I just had to ask. In addition, you should also get the SolarEdge API key for pvoutput integration. eg. here is mine http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?sid=31988. But for some reason, it always report 0.5-1Kwh less than SolarEdge's own monitoring portal. My guess is that it doesn't pull the data fast enough from SE server, so sometimes it skips.
                                Cool, thanks for the info. I got the public link from SE directly, they enabled it.

As far as being able to view Consumption and Production in the SE portal, they said:
                                "To get consumption to show up on your dashboard view, you need to have a SolarEdge consumption meter installed. If you do, your installer needs to setup the meter in the portal so that the data is represented."

I asked for a product part #, or a hyperlink to the product, white papers, anything. I didnt find it in a quick google search.

I also asked to get Admin, since my installer apparently isn't keen on letting me have it.
                                Oh and I copied your idea on the signature, imitation is the best form of flattery right? One thing, they wont let anything beyond 50 characters even with the BBCode. Not sure how you squeezed yours in.

FYI too that I think the portal is reporting yesterday as partial, because I didnt get the portal created till mid-day. But it does show the whole day as generating. Last night after dark when it was in "Night Mode" I got a shot of the day and it shows 28.6kWh produced. So I'll have to see over the next few days/weeks if the inverter info itself matches the site, and also what SDGE is reporting as my consumption.
                                image.jpg

Comment

Working...