X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JKush
    • Aug 2014

Tilting based on time rather than "tracking"

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post/question. I tried searching the rest of the forums and I find that my question is unique, google says it is too.

I see a lot of expensive "Solar Trackers" that can aim solar panels.

My question, is that if I decided that I wanted a summer time adjustment, and a winter time adjustment, but the rest of the time follow the sun through the day; is there anything that can just tilt based on time of day? It seems like it would not need all of the expensive software for solar tracking, because something would simply be at a certain angle at a certain time of day, and then reset at a certain begin time. Then in the winter I'd make a vertical adjustment manually, and same in summer.

Anything like that anyone has heard of before?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JKush
    Hi Everyone,

This is my first post/question. I tried searching the rest of the forums and I find that my question is unique, google says it is too.

I see a lot of expensive "Solar Trackers" that can aim solar panels.

My question, is that if I decided that I wanted a summer time adjustment, and a winter time adjustment, but the rest of the time follow the sun through the day; is there anything that can just tilt based on time of day? It seems like it would not need all of the expensive software for solar tracking, because something would simply be at a certain angle at a certain time of day, and then reset at a certain begin time. Then in the winter I'd make a vertical adjustment manually, and same in summer.

Anything like that anyone has heard of before?
    Seasonal tilt adjustments are possible. Racking is available for such purposes. Economics are sometimes favorable, sometimes not, often close.

Comment

• JKush
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Seasonal tilt adjustments are possible. Racking is available for such purposes. Economics are sometimes favorable, sometimes not, often close.
      Racking is available to tilt throughout the day based on time? I mean just a timer, my thinking is that the cost would be much lower due to the "simple" mechanism for doing this based on time. Any brands you could point me towards that do such a thing? I'm having a hard time finding anything that doesn't actually "look" for the sun and just does it based on time.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by JKush
        Racking is available to tilt throughout the day based on time? I mean just a timer, my thinking is that the cost would be much lower due to the "simple" mechanism for doing this based on time. Any brands you could point me towards that do such a thing? I'm having a hard time finding anything that doesn't actually "look" for the sun and just does it based on time.
        Unless you're considering megaWatt scale or close to it, I doubt such schemes are cost effective once you get beyond manual adjustment. The racking mfgs. have adjustable racking. Check their websites.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Single Axis tracker are single axis trackers period. The control can be a photo diode or a clock connected to motor controller. They are both same technology and complexity with no real difference in cost. Either can be employed at equal cost. Th eexpense and complexity is not the controller, its the motor transmission, and power system that is expensive and complicated.

Unless space is an issue trackers have no use. It is much less expensive to add more panel wattage, and never have to deal with all the maintenance and replacement issues of a mechanical tracker. As already mentioned just buy a racking system that allows you to change the tilt angle twice a year or more.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

For some reason there are a lot of large Utility scale solar arrays that have either one or two axis tracking system. Seems like an expensive investment to get the extra (but small) increase in sun harvest yet you will find that it is still being done.

It might be because it is a Utility based operation and they get a lot more funding to build whatever they think will be better or they are in a Contract to provide energy for longer daily period or they do not have the real estate to install the appropriate amount of additional panels.

Hard to say what their reasoning is for the tracking system but in the end I believe they do it so they can get more money.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
              For some reason there are a lot of large Utility scale solar arrays that have either one or two axis tracking system. Seems like an expensive investment to get the extra (but small) increase in sun harvest yet you will find that it is still being done.

It might be because it is a Utility based operation and they get a lot more funding to build whatever they think will be better or they are in a Contract to provide energy for longer daily period or they do not have the real estate to install the appropriate amount of additional panels.

Hard to say what their reasoning is for the tracking system but in the end I believe they do it so they can get more money.
              Money and peddler's greed is probably a part of it, and I'd bet bureaucracy and the ubiquitous customer solar ignorance takes some of the rest, but other, perhaps semi valid reasons for tracking schemes may be, among others, real estate value and use considerations/constraints, and (a bit) lower construction costs and some projected maint. savings afforded by a smaller array.

I spent some time recently with the person in charge of the 1mW solar array at the Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. Very generous with their time and information, and I believe straight with me. It's a single axis tracker. The tracking racking cost was about the same as fixed racking or about 5 % more or so as recalled. Maint. was unknown 6 yrs. ago when installed but has not been a problem. Performance has been about as expected and was estimated at ~~ 10% greater than a fixed array. That # is estimated since there is no fixed array for comparison.

Furnace creek was actually a bit space constrainer for several reasons.

Another array I see ever day is about a mile+ or so away from my home off to my NE (Check my profile and Google the coord.). It's ~ 1.2 mW or so and another single axis tracker. It's been around for about 3 yrs. now, and although I've got no numbers on performance, I see the arrays in different orientations throughout the day, and, unless they do maint. in the dark, the field is unattended, providing some support for the Furnace Creek statement that maint. is not a big issue. The co. that owns the array near me sells power to the H2O dist. for the reservoir pumps and sells the excess, such as it exists, to SDG & E on a long term PPA type arrangement. I'm unaware of the contract terms.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                Money and peddler's greed is probably a part of it, and I'd bet bureaucracy and the ubiquitous customer solar ignorance takes some of the rest, but other, perhaps semi valid reasons for tracking schemes may be, among others, real estate value and use considerations/constraints, and (a bit) lower construction costs and some projected maint. savings afforded by a smaller array.

I spent some time recently with the person in charge of the 1mW solar array at the Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. Very generous with their time and information, and I believe straight with me. It's a single axis tracker. The tracking racking cost was about the same as fixed racking or about 5 % more or so as recalled. Maint. was unknown 6 yrs. ago when installed but has not been a problem. Performance has been about as expected and was estimated at ~~ 10% greater than a fixed array. That # is estimated since there is no fixed array for comparison.

Furnace creek was actually a bit space constrainer for several reasons.

Another array I see ever day is about a mile+ or so away from my home off to my NE (Check my profile and Google the coord.). It's ~ 1.2 mW or so and another single axis tracker. It's been around for about 3 yrs. now, and although I've got no numbers on performance, I see the arrays in different orientations throughout the day, and, unless they do maint. in the dark, the field is unattended, providing some support for the Furnace Creek statement that maint. is not a big issue. The co. that owns the array near me sells power to the H2O dist. for the reservoir pumps and sells the excess, such as it exists, to SDG & E on a long term PPA type arrangement. I'm unaware of the contract terms.
                I found that 1.2mw tracked array. Also see what looks like the water tanks to the West of it and the lake to the South.

Probably worth using a tracked system then trying to level out that hilly real estate for more panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  I found that 1.2mw tracked array. Also see what looks like the water tanks to the West of it and the lake to the South.

Probably worth using a tracked system then trying to level out that hilly real estate for more panels.
                  The lake is the reservoir. The several tanks around the water district are on high ground and about equal elevation to one another. The array location was mostly level to start, with little site elevation/leveling grading required. The array supplies about 20% of the energy for the annual pumping requirements.

Comment

Working...