Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GridGrants
    • Nov 2013

Basic Turnkey Solar PV System

I have been researching turnkey kits to get people started on solar PV with this general criteria:
    1. Made in USA panels big plus
    2. Microinverters
    3. Include racking and most Balance of System items
    4. Scalable and upgradable
    5. Monitoring package a must

I keep getting drawn to the SolarWorld Sunkits. Pre-packaged as 4, 6, 8, 12 and 20 @ 275W modules with Enphase microinverters. Competitive pricing and should be easy for any licensed installer to accomplish.

The goal is to get people installed with fewer panels and no upfront costs and help them with the hard part of initial permitting and installation. They can add more panels/microinverters to their systems in the future as their finances allow. I want to be thorough and would appreciate any comments from real-world experience on other options and feedback both good and bad on the Sunkits.

I have seen pricing around $3200 on the 4-panel kit. What might I expect to pay for a licensed installer to complete this installation if complete package were drop-shipped to you? Standard roof-mount install and I understand there are add-ons for various roof types and other issues that are out of the norm. If you could share typical permitting costs and interconnection costs that would be great, also. Would love to hear professionals in different parts of the country give a rough estimate. TIA.
  • Volusiano
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2013

It seems that you're implying here that if you start out small and get an initial permit up front, you won't need to get any further permit when you decide to add on and expand your system later.

I'm not sure if that's a correct assumption or not. The permit is approved for your original system design as you applied up front. If you seek to expand the system at a later date, I would think that a new permit would be required for the expansion, too, because the design has been altered.

Comment

• GridGrants
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Volusiano
      It seems that you're implying here that if you start out small and get an initial permit up front, you won't need to get any further permit when you decide to add on and expand your system later.
      That isn't what I am implying, but is a consideration to be dealt with. Just a possible added expense if someone needs to build a system in stages. There are jurisdictions that do not require permits if you are not making structural changes or dealing with solar thermal (potable water systems). I would imagine some jurisdictions require permits when you add a single panel. Even if a permit is needed for an addition to an existing system, my experience is you can get an immediate "drive-by" approval instead of a lengthy process for an original system.

I am looking for general knowledge on regional pricing for typical installations and the specifics will always be determined during the site inspection and specific quote phase.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I believe that you will have to research just about every Electric Utility requirement along with a vast majority of Municipality Code requirements to determine if there is a way to fast track a system expansion.

One requirement may be that you submit an overall system design in the beginning with specific expansion details and possibly dates of those expansions. If the overall design is approved and the expansions can be shown as a "pug and play" you might be able to get very quick approvals for each expansion. Although you may still have to jump through the Utility hoops for a connection after each expansion.

It would be nice to have a simpler way of increasing a system but there are way too many different codes and requirements across the country to be able to standardize on a process.

You will also probably run into difficulty getting any Fed tax refunds after the first install. You need to talk to a CPA on that item.

Comment

• GridGrants
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I believe that you will have to research just about every Electric Utility requirement along with a vast majority of Municipality Code requirements to determine if there is a way to fast track a system expansion..
          Thank you for replying, but that isn't my question. There will obviously be varying local permitting requirements if a system is expanded. I am looking for initial installation costs and feedback on the SolarWorld Sunkit systems or recommendations for something similar.

Originally posted by SunEagle
          You will also probably run into difficulty getting any Fed tax refunds after the first install. You need to talk to a CPA on that item.
          There is no limitation on how many times you can use the credits. There is a cumulative total of $500 for the Residential Energy Efficiency Tax Credit with some nuances and the Residential Renewable Energy Tax Credit is only limited by installation by December 31, 2016. Don't worry if you can't use the whole credit in the first year. Currently, you can carry it forward through 2016 and by then they will probably specify an extra year or two to carry it forward if they don't extend it.

Comment

Working...