Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDenver
    • Sep 2013

Sunnyboy 6000 not working

I discovered that my Sunnyboy Inverter is not working. Even though there is a green light on the front, indicating that it is operating normally. This has been going on for more than 9months. And I was told by an electrical engineer (not that I needed an electrical engineer) that it started to fail about 2 yrs ago! I called SMA, they said to replace it with their newer model. Cost about $2000+

The Error is -- Disturbance - XFMR ---so other than this... and my utility bill being higher! there was no other indication.

I asked about the 5yr warranty and the unit failing within the 5 yr period but they refused to honor their warranty. So I don't know what to do.

I don't have a spare $2000.

My question to the Forum is.... is there an inverter (a 6000 watt) inverter that will replace the Sunnyboy 6000 that cost under ~$500???
    Or some other recommendation to get this back on-line??

Thanks! JDenver
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

I could not find that fault code in the manual
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• silversaver
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by JDenver
      I discovered that my Sunnyboy Inverter is not working. Even though there is a green light on the front, indicating that it is operating normally. This has been going on for more than 9months. And I was told by an electrical engineer (not that I needed an electrical engineer) that it started to fail about 2 yrs ago! I called SMA, they said to replace it with their newer model. Cost about $2000+

The Error is -- Disturbance - XFMR ---so other than this... and my utility bill being higher! there was no other indication.

I asked about the 5yr warranty and the unit failing within the 5 yr period but they refused to honor their warranty. So I don't know what to do.

I don't have a spare $2000.

My question to the Forum is.... is there an inverter (a 6000 watt) inverter that will replace the Sunnyboy 6000 that cost under ~$500???
      Or some other recommendation to get this back on-line??

Thanks! JDenver
      The inverter has failed about 2 years ago and you just found out? Is your inverter under warranty? (within 5 years) Not months later and calling SMA for warranty repair, none will honoring the warranty...

Comment

• JDenver
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
        The inverter has failed about 2 years ago and you just found out? Is your inverter under warranty? (within 5 years) Not months later and calling SMA for warranty repair, none will honoring the warranty...

Not sure how to work this Forum/blog.... Yes the inverter "started" to fail... not completely but showed signs in the production report..... when looking back through all the years. 2yrs ago there were larger than usual drops in production.

Comment

• SolarShadow
          • Oct 2013

I would like to know what their reasoning was to reject your claim if still under the 5 year warranty period and I'm assuming that they told you the inverter is actually no good? If this be the case of it being defective then you must replace the inverter and none in the 6 kw class are that cheap. I guess you can try going after them legally to make good on it, but then you might as well start saving your money to get another one that would likely happen before a legal hearing and if they say you would've won. Up to you if you go with them again or another inverter company.

Comment

• silversaver
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2013

call your installer

Comment

• Early Adopter
              • Sep 2021

This is a related topic.
              I have a SMA SB6000US that also cleared the 1 amp ground fuse and then showed the "XFMR" fault and then goes into waiting mode.
              Mine lasted 13 years (well beyond the 10 year guarantee - Yea!)

My research showed this fault is related to the AC voltage supply and can occur when there is a mis-match between the Inverter AC wiring (208/240/277) and the grid voltage.
              I have also seem many of these types of faults posted.

I know this forum has a barn full of owls (experienced people), and was wondering if this is an inverter issue (repairable?) or perhaps a grid issue (wiring/breaker/utility power disturbance)?
              Any suggesting to resolve?

Comments?

Comment

• solarix
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2015

I'm guessing this is an older model of SMA (gen 1 or 2 maybe) and "disturbance xfmr" was a pretty common way they died. (What is the date on the label?)
                These old units had 5 year warranties and they typically last about 10 years. This is a non repairable problem.
                There are a lot of old stock newer SMA inverters online that you can grab pretty cheaply and still get the full 10 year warranty they have.
                BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Early Adopter
                  • Sep 2021

Solarix . . . . I have looked but have been unable to locate. Do you have a source for a SB8000US or SB7000US inverter old new stock? That would be very helpful.

On the XFRM fault - I know it is common but would still be interesting to note the cause of failure (insulation breakdown, electronic component failure, etc).
                  If someone had inverter schematics that would be helpful but likely proprietary.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

• peakbagger
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2010

There were some 6 KW Solar City branded Delta inverters on Ebay that might fit the bill a few months ago. They are a hybrid inverter designed to tie to a high voltage variation of a Tesla battery. They will work grid tie only and some folks have been successful using them off grid without a battery on You Tube. I have seen some references that they do not deal with with leakage current having a overly sensitive ground fault unit. These are as is New in Box but no guarantee. They have two MPPT channels. They were around $500.

Comment

• Early Adopter
                      • Sep 2021

Thank you for the info. I'll be on the hunt. Know I'm on borrowed time with my used inverter. But currently making power!

Comment

• DenBo
                        • Feb 2022

SMA 7.7 US-41 NOT WORKING OUT OF BOX. I have two 7.7 ‘s . One is working (Solid Green) with 3 strings of 18 panels. Other new inverter never produced yet with 2 strings of 18 panels. I temp wired all strings to working inverter individually which verified all strings are credible to generate. . After 24 hrs. There are no green red or blue light. Can’t see a event code. #1 is producing 5100w today . Any clues to get #2 inverter up and productive is appreciated.
                        ‘Thank you

DenBo

Comment

• solarix
                          Super Moderator
                          • Apr 2015

The usual cause of no green, red, blue lights is the display cable is not plugged in. Does it make any sounds when energized? - usually the fan will come on foe a second to test the fan. Are you measuring 240Vac on the AC terminals?
                          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• oregon_phil
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by solarix
                            The usual cause of no green, red, blue lights is the display cable is not plugged in. Does it make any sounds when energized? - usually the fan will come on foe a second to test the fan. Are you measuring 240Vac on the AC terminals?
                            I just verified on my -40 that Green, Red and Blue LED's turn on with just 240VAC present (DC switch turned OFF). DC switch turned ON, then power up sequence exactly as you have described.

Comment

• DenBo
                              • Feb 2022

Thank you for responding, I’m sorry for being incomplete.
                              Green, Red, and Blue led’s are illuminating on complete shutdown AC VDC and start-up. I have (2-ea) one month old , 7.7 us-41 SMA inverters. Measured A/C at inverter is 246vac, DC fluctuates 200-315vdc depending sun exposure.

Start Up process is identical on each inverter as it self scrolls. Good inverter scrolls reveals vdc and amp values. .. Bad inverter has no values.. No vdc/amps show in read out.
                              After several hours upon checking, unit shows no led’s at all. Good inverter has solid Green and is producing approximately 5,000watts. I have Not heard fans test run on start up. Good inverter has cooling fan on during heat of day when producing.

The 2 - 18-panel strings on bad inverter have vdc and were connected to Good inverter one at ah time on vdc terminal C, which produced vac So we have shown and believe strings are of good integrity..

Configuration of system: #1 7.7SMA-41 inverter has 3 strings of 15 panels producing 5,000 watts. #2 inverter has 2 strings of 15 panels, no production even after restart.

Installer has refused to investigate,so I am stuck.
                              Thank you.
                              Last edited by DenBo; 06-20-2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...