Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Bob
    • May 2024

Multiple inverters

So I already have a 1kw system, and being a bit of a dummy I also got a 1kw inverter. Now I want to add another 2kw up there and I want to use another 2kw inverter, but the chap on the phone from the solar mob says I can only use the one inverter and have to buy a 3kw and can't have 2 inverters running side by side, with the 1kw inverter doing the 1kw system and the other 2 kw inverter doing the 2kw system.

Is this correct? Can I only have the one inverter hooked up to my switchboard? I have a grid connect setup.

Thanks.
  • Vern2
    • Sep 2009

If you have arrays tied to a combiner box then to an inverter. You can have as many setups like that as you want. Monitoring is another thing. Thats also how you add a wind turbin to the system. Larger wire or breaker at your power box might have to be done. I'm using two 5k inverters 6 gage to 50 amp breaker. My inverters could have been, just as likely, one 4k and one 5k. Just don't mix panel types in one series string.

Vern
    Last edited by Vern2; 11-27-2009, 11:23 PM.
    Vern
    --------------
    [URL="http://www.enichesoftware.com"]Home projects:[/URL]

Comment

• nodetihw
      • Jan 2010

Your sine wave (AC CYCLE) between the two inverters, will be out of phase and this/will could burn up something.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by nodetihw
        Your sine wave (AC CYCLE) between the two inverters, will be out of phase and this/will could burn up something.
        Actually, no. Grid Tie inverters sense the grid's AC, and each will individually sync to the grid on their own. If you have a PV array split over 2 areas, you need to use 2 inverters to maximize your harvest.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Altenergy Inc
          • Feb 2010

actually, Montgomery is telling you the right method. Each inverter will need to have its own breaker in the AC distribution panel. Multiple strings, orientations, etc would be appropriatley accomodated, have maximum mppt harvest,and would have individual UL1740 protection, while allowing multi unit monitoring, at least with any brand we use, SMA, Fronius or Solectria

Comment

Working...