X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by sapparamesh
    Hi... Guys... I'm new to this forum and i have some doubts....

Suppose.... Its Broad Daylight and Pannels are Giving their Max Output...
    The Mains (Grid Supply) to the Inverter is in OFF.. But Load to the inverter is in on state..
    In the Above Condition:
    1.If the battery is not in fully charged condition... Solar Pannels will supply the power for both Load and Battery (provided the pannels meet power requirement of both).... Am i right with this statement....??

2.If Battery is fully charged, how exactly will the Charge Controller controls the current flowing through the battery (i.e. seeing the battery is not over charged) and the inverter (supply current to the Load). I'm asking this Q coz Both Battery and Inverter are connected in Parallel...

I'll be very greatfull if someone responds....
    Than Q.
    Welcome to Solar Panel Talk sapparamesh. You will get good advice here!
    One suggestion about your otherwise good English, if I may: Many of us have doubts about the Forum, but I think that what you have are questions.
    Or maybe concerns.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• sapparamesh
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      Maybe, maybe not. If the demand of the discharged battery and the connected load exceed what the panel is generating, the difference (loss) is being supplied by the battery, thus discharging the battery.

The CC will be in a float mode and at that point is a voltage source. All power required for the load comes directly from the panels. The battery is just sitting there not requiring any current or supplying any current. Example if you have a 200 watt panel that has enough sun to supply up to 200 watts, and th eload is demanding 100 watts, the panel only produces 100 watts. The other 100 watts is not being used or wasted.
      ThanX for ur quick reply Dude....
      Electronics is one heck of subject to understand....

Comment

• sapparamesh
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
        Welcome to Solar Panel Talk sapparamesh. You will get good advice here!
        One suggestion about your otherwise good English, if I may: Many of us have doubts about the Forum, but I think that what you have are questions.
        Or maybe concerns.
        I'm glad for ur warm welcoming...
        yeah... u may b right... what i asked was a Q...
        i myself is an Electrical Engineer working Asst.Engineer at APTRANSCo. (A govt. undertaking Company of Andhra Pradesh)
        And i admit that Electronics Subject has been always my nightmare...
        And i miss a lot of grammar in my English.. sorry for that....

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Most confusing for many of the Indian guys is that Americans speak and use a totally different form of English than they learned in school - that is proper UK English.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• sapparamesh
            • Mar 2013

One more Q for u guys....

I know that the Battery can b charged in 2 ways...
            1.Through Solar Panels using a Charge Controller (during day time with sufficient light)
            2.Through Grid supply connected at AC incoming terminals of the Inverter.

Is there a device for making this process automatic... i.e as long as there is solar power available the Grid supply to the inverter stays OFF (the domestic load and Battery charging is taken up by the Solar panels)
            and in the absence of Solar Power (at low light/nights) the Grid supply to the Inverter is turned ON (the Domestic load and battery charging is taken up by the Grid supply)...
            Is there any such device.... If there is, i'll b very happy to know....
            ThanQ....

Comment

• sapparamesh
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by russ
              Most confusing for many of the Indian guys is that Americans speak and use a totally different form of English than they learned in school - that is proper UK English.
              I agree......
              I learned British English at school and watch Hollywood movies (a lot of them)....
              Both English are quite different....

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

One more Q for u guys....

I know that the Battery can b charged in 2 ways...
                1.Through Solar Panels using a Charge Controller (during day time with sufficient light)
                2.Through Grid supply connected at AC incoming terminals of the Inverter.

Is there a device for making this process automatic... .....
                Yes. Called a Hybrid Inverter. SMA and Xantrex make them.
                SMA: Sunny Island
                Xantrex: XW series.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  Yes. Called a Hybrid Inverter. SMA and Xantrex make them.
                  SMA: Sunny Island
                  Xantrex: XW series.
                  I have seen what the OP is interested in described as an Inverter/Charger (with Solar PV input), and both the Sunny Island is that.
                  But I tend to think of a Hybrid System (not necessarily a Hybrid Inverter) as one which can also function as grid-tied inverter and deliver power back to the POCO as well as use solar PV for battery charging. The Sunny Island cannot do this. When combined with one or more Sunny Boy Grid Tie Inverters, the Sunny Island allows both grid tie and off-grid operation. But the SI by itself cannot.

The XW series, by contrast, can charge from AC, supply an AC load from battery DC and sell back power like a pure grid tie inverter. But it does not have an input for solar PV. That requires a separate CC.

In that sense, the Sunny Island and the XW are both slightly different components of a hybrid system, but neither one is complete by itself.

Comment

• Naptown
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by inetdog
                    I have seen what the OP is interested in described as an Inverter/Charger (with Solar PV input), and both the Sunny Island is that.
                    But I tend to think of a Hybrid System (not necessarily a Hybrid Inverter) as one which can also function as grid-tied inverter and deliver power back to the POCO as well as use solar PV for battery charging. The Sunny Island cannot do this. When combined with one or more Sunny Boy Grid Tie Inverters, the Sunny Island allows both grid tie and off-grid operation. But the SI by itself cannot.

The XW series, by contrast, can charge from AC, supply an AC load from battery DC and sell back power like a pure grid tie inverter. But it does not have an input for solar PV. That requires a separate CC.

In that sense, the Sunny Island and the XW are both slightly different components of a hybrid system, but neither one is complete by itself.
                    The sunny Islands are probably the easiest to install but are limited to 120V each. If you need 240 you will need 2 of them. The xantrex and magnum will provide 240 volts. Both have built in transfer switches. However the Magnum is really a back up system only and would still need a grid tie inverter and a charge controller. The Xantrex will do both of the inverter functions but will require a charge controller.
                    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                      If you need 240 you will need 2 of them.
                      Or a suitably sized autotransformer, which may be $400 and up.

Comment

• sapparamesh
                        • Mar 2013

Hi Guys....

i have some Q's here, and expecting answers from you guys....

at home i have an 875VA Inverter and 175AH (12V) Tubular Battery (here we use 230V, 50HZ AC SYSTEM)

Now i want to connect some Solar panels to this existing system through a Charge controller..

I know that a Charge Controller has 3 sets of terminal....
                        each set for Solar Input, for connecting battery and for DC loads...
                        lets forget about DC load terminals as i use none at my home.. (at least direct DC Loads)
                        Now let the solar panels output is connected to their respective terminals provided to CC...
                        and both battery and inverter connected in parallel to the Battery Charging terminals...(by seeing the connection diagram provided at the beginning of this thread).

My Q's

1.Does this connection means that the solar will provide power (Through CC with the connections a s shown in the Fig. at the beginning of this thread) to both inverter (house hold load) and charging the battery (provided the solar panels provided can supply power more than the required for charging the battery) .... or CC only charges battery (i.e. CC only monitors the battery and adjusts the O/p current according to the battery's condition and gives nothing to the inverter, Inverter draws current from Battery only and nothing from the CC/Solar panels) ...?? If possible plz.. explain Ur answer in brief... I'm a newbie...

2.How much time will it take for a 100Wp solar panel to charge the discharged (not fully) battery of capacity 150AH...??

3.Plz suggest the capacity of Solar panels required for the system I'm using (my normal domestic load connected to the inverter will not exceed 200watts or less at an instant)....??

ThanQ....

Comment

• Naptown
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2011

Hi Guys....

i have some Q's here, and expecting answers from you guys....

at home i have an 875VA Inverter and 175AH (12V) Tubular Battery (here we use 230V, 50HZ AC SYSTEM)

Now i want to connect some Solar panels to this existing system through a Charge controller..

I know that a Charge Controller has 3 sets of terminal....
                          each set for Solar Input, for connecting battery and for DC loads...
                          lets forget about DC load terminals as i use none at my home.. (at least direct DC Loads)
                          Now let the solar panels output is connected to their respective terminals provided to CC...
                          and both battery and inverter connected in parallel to the Battery Charging terminals...(by seeing the connection diagram provided at the beginning of this thread).

My Q's

1.Does this connection means that the solar will provide power (Through CC with the connections a s shown in the Fig. at the beginning of this thread) to both inverter (house hold load) and charging the battery (provided the solar panels provided can supply power more than the required for charging the battery) .... or CC only charges battery (i.e. CC only monitors the battery and adjusts the O/p current according to the battery's condition and gives nothing to the inverter, Inverter draws current from Battery only and nothing from the CC/Solar panels) ...?? If possible plz.. explain Ur answer in brief... I'm a newbie...

yes it will supply what is being used and any left over will charge the battery. using more than the panel will supply and you are using the battery

2.How much time will it take for a 100Wp solar panel to charge the discharged (not fully) battery of capacity 150AH...??

That will depend on depth of discharge, insolation levels, and controller type

3.Plz suggest the capacity of Solar panels required for the system I'm using (my normal domestic load connected to the inverter will not exceed 200watts or less at an instant)....??

Can't do that without knowing 1- location for insolation, 2- type of charge controller, 3-battery type

ThanQ....
                          responses in red
                          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• sapparamesh
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
                            responses in red
                            Dude.....
                            ThanQ very much.....
                            I Love this forum.... I really Do....

Comment

• kalyanpagadal
                              • Apr 2013

hi. reg ur previous post

hello ,
                              i am planning to have having exactly the same setup what u shared long back .. so wanted to know wheather ur system is working well.

Comment

• kalyanpagadal
                                • Apr 2013

hello sir,
                                i am using a 100w solar panel through a charge controler(CC) to charge a battery , my battery is already connected to a domestic sine wave inverter.
                                My doubts are:
                                1. during day time when battery is low then inverter and charge controller will be simultaniously charging the battery, will that cause to increase charging current of the battery(say inv --10A + Charge controller -5A ---> total say about --15A because they are in parallel).
                                2. When inverter is charging the battery the CC controller may sence that battery potential >12v(Beause charging voltage for 12 v battery will be around 14 v)
                                and this may prevent the CC from charging the battery and show a false message like battery is full. will this happen.
                                Then in that case there is no reason of using solar panel.
                                pls help me in this regard.

Comment

Working...