Alternative to Ground Mount Fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Ground Mount Fence?

I've been trying to find an alternative to installing an ugly chain link fence around our ground mount installs. I looked at the UniSolar product but it doesn't quite work for what we need. I found a plastic product that is intended for poultry fencing that might work. it comes as 3' wide by 25' long. We usually mount our ground mounts in a landscape orientation. If we install all the cables end to end we could run this material up that section on the bottom of rails, then route the cabling between the sections at the top of the array where it will be out of the accessible range. The material is sunlight resistant as well and comes in black or green. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
    Attached Files

I think we need a sketch of how you intend to install it, because your post is not clear at all to me.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The need for a fence is to keep the area isolated and prevent unauthorized personnel out of the area. A plastic 3 feet high fence is not going to keep anyone out especially children.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

The fencing material is to be mounted under the pv modules to cover the wiring. To create a barrier. The intent is not to have a fence around the array.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestPV View Post
          The fencing material is to be mounted under the pv modules to cover the wiring. To create a barrier. The intent is not to have a fence around the array.
          Where I live and per NEC that is not compliant. Wiring would need to be enclosed in a Raceway.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

I created this pdf to illustrate what I intend. The holes in the fencing would be much smaller. If its not readily accessible, it doesn't need to be in a raceway. The wiring along the top would be above the 6'-6" mark.
            Attached Files

Comment

that appears to be Snap n rack
              The channels can be used as a raceway and they make a cover for it.
              Put all the wires in the raceway closest to the junction boxes and use the cover. exit above the 8' mark if possible.
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Alternative to fencing

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
                Put all the wires in the raceway closest to the junction boxes and use the cover. exit above the 8' mark if possible.
                Just a friendly post, in order to download attachments. I'm having the same problem in trying to keep the electrical inspector happy for a ground mounted system without having to fence it in.

Comment

One solution I haxe seen..

Is similar to what you were suggesting.
                  A local company uses plastic (vinyl/polymer) lattice fencing -the one with the smallest openings, maybe a bit over 1 inch. The material is a little under 1/4" thick and comes in 4x8' sheets. They simply screw the fencing to the back of the rails with ss screws and washers to help secure and cover the wires/prevent access.

This has passed inspection in a few towns in MA, and MA is big on rules and regulations...

Ymmv.

Comment

In the past, in certain areas, we have been able to get away with simply attaching chicken wire to the back of the array to keep things inaccessible, unsightly...Yes, however it is fairly inexpensive.

Comment

Alternative for Fencing

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
                      Just another friendly post, in order to download attachments. I'm having the same problem, for I have clients who would very much like to have a ground mount system, but do not want the ugly chain link fence around the array.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestPV View Post
                        I've been trying to find an alternative to installing an ugly chain link fence around our ground mount installs.
                        One alternative is to have the panels 8 ft off the ground. That is considered inaccessible. Probably easiest to do with a pole mount.
                        ....mapmaker
                        ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Here's a question...

If the yard is completely fenced in do you still need a fence around a ground mounted array? I'm assuming yes.

Comment

Hi dear today i read this topic it's really nice and informative i would like to share with you something which is that I have an in-ground pool with a square concrete pad around it. I want to get a black aluminum fence around it, and mount it ONTO the concrete at the edge. Is it OK to do this??

Good old fashioned family Service
                            Last edited by Naptown; 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM. Reason: removed link

Comment

Florida Glass

Some AHJs done require a fence around the array. In Southwest Florida, in some jurisdictions, a product called "Florida Glass" can be used to either surround the back of the array or to cover the back of the panels. Florida glass is just vinyl laminated fiberglass screen material. It is very tough, and used for privacy on screened enclosures or along the bottom of enclosures where mowers often tear regular screens with blown debris. If that is not acceptable, chicken wire, hog wire, welded wire, or chain link are common steel materials used. Heavy hedges can be used for aesthetic purposes, but this undoubtedly will not pass for protection purposes if your building department requires it.

Jason Szumlanski
                              Last edited by Naptown; 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM. Reason: deleted link

Comment

Working...
                              X