Sunny Days vrs Hazy days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny Days vrs Hazy days

Just to let you all know that a clear 100% sky at any time of the day does not give the inverter much compare to a sunny day that has a hazy look to it.
    Yesterday we had such a hazy day, you could say it was a bit on the glare side too and the Sunny Beam monitor was pushing the Limit from the SB 2500 to a 2.51Kw.
    The highest I've ever had on a clear sunny day (YES VERY CLEAR) at anytime during the day is 2.31Kw but on this milky day like yesterday the Sunnybeam was on 2.51Kw a few times.
    Having 16x170W panels which equal a total of 2720Watts I wouldn't be surprised if the panels were pushing out say 2600W or say close to 2700W but the SB2500W inverter was limiting it to 2.51Kw (2501W) The SDC graph show the same as to what the sunny beam was telling me.
    Interesting, bring on more hazy days? Have others noticed this.

A diffuse light has more average brightness over a day, then just an hour of aligned sun.

I've not noticed high peaks in haze, but that the typical low hours, had much more power harvest, and the high hour, lower harvest, but averged over a day, higher total than usual.

Panels aimed at blue sky, sun off axis, not really efficient, but a hazy fuzzy sky has more "light" to it.

It all comes down to the harvest.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Timely discussion

The CA wildfires have blown in a nasty haze today, and I'm surprised to say our production is damn close to the usual. Right now, when we should be at peak, we're at about half of the rated wattage, but we must have harvested more earlier. Interesting, wouldn't have thought that.
      [URL="http://www.spheralsolar.com/"]Solar Panels for Homes[/URL]

Comment

Yesterday was another hazy day and we harvested a record yield for the day.
        I can see its hard for any system to fully load the inverter for the peak period of the day say between 10.30AM to 2.30PM.
        An example our 2.5Kw SunnyBoy on a super clear day in the second last day in winter (sun still low) (Brisbane does not have winters, we had 35Deg C in winter for Gods sake) averaged in this time period around 2.15Kw and I have a total of 2.72Kw of panels, I wonder what will happen say in the next two months as the sun gets higher during this time period and looks directly head on into the panels, also the same scenario 4 months later heading towards Autumn.
        Yes when the sun starts looking directly into the panels, will this increase the average in this period on a super clear day?.

Comment

Bet you can't wait to get your next power bill?

Comment

We got our first bill on Friday but that's only 3 weeks worth of PV stuff ( $172) the next one will be the first full one and we should not have a bill as from yesterday our Total consumption was 163Kw's
            REC was 274 Kw's so we are miles in front of the consumption.

Comment

Just found out that AGL has ripped us off on this confusing first bill. The Meter was read incorrectly.

Comment

I have also found that on hazy days the charge is sometimes better than on a really clear day. On really hot days my charge is halved. If I run the hose over the panels the charge doubles instantly. I wonder if the haze takes some of the heat out of the sun. I was also wondering if your climate makes a difference to the charge. In Victoria it is a very dry heat and in Brisbane it is very humid. I think you might get a better charge in a humid environment. The moisture in the air might diffuse some of the heat. What do you guys reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by shazza View Post
                  ....On really hot days my charge is halved. If I run the hose over the panels the charge doubles instantly. ....
                  I'd not hose the panels down very often, ever see a car windshield with a single crack through it ? Thermal shock !

I wash my panels early AM, before they get heated up.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by shazza View Post
                    I have also found that on hazy days the charge is sometimes better than on a really clear day. On really hot days my charge is halved. If I run the hose over the panels the charge doubles instantly. I wonder if the haze takes some of the heat out of the sun. I was also wondering if your climate makes a difference to the charge. In Victoria it is a very dry heat and in Brisbane it is very humid. I think you might get a better charge in a humid environment. The moisture in the air might diffuse some of the heat. What do you guys reckon?
                    Hazy days, or days with glare give me around 200W more over a clear day. The Sunny Beam and SDC prove it.
                    Last week we had a 35 Deg C day in Brisbane (Remember guys we have C in Australia) and ran a test via my SDC Computer program and I was surprised that the daily average harvest was only down by no more than 5% but even then thats hard to prove because there was a few clouds floating around.

Shazza 50% is a fair bit to lose on a hot day, Make sure your panels don't collect dirt on the bottom of them because depending on the design of the panels this could effect your output big time.
                    I remember seeing a picture about this somewhere about keeping your panels clean but most importantly NEVER allow dust to build up down the bottom of each panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                      I wash my panels early AM, before they get heated up.
                      Yes I do the same and if I see any dirt building up down the bottom of each panel i clean it first before hosing.
                      I have made a collection of cleaning tools for this job

Comment

Originally posted by Blackman View Post
                        Just found out that AGL has ripped us off on this confusing first bill. The Meter was read incorrectly.
                        Could you believe Energex (our Electricity Company) sent another guy out to read the meter, he read it, he walked away, I said Argh,Argh,Argh, STOP! you have read the meter incorrectly so he came back and read it again and yes he made an mistake. These guys are not trained with these new meters and they haven't got a clue how to read them.

Comment

I'm pulling whats left of my hair out.

Comment

Working...
                          X