Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blackman
    • Jun 2009

Sunny Boy inverters LCD reading not accurate

I have been complaining that the output reading of my Kilowatt's generated per day to my Sunny Beam then put on the computer do not match my new EDMI Mk10 3 phase meter. To give you all an example I generated 15.1 kilowatts in one day, the Sunny Boy shows 15.1 the Sunny Beam shows 15.1 and the SDC computer program which reads off the Sunny Beam shows 15.1, but the EDMI meter that day only shows 13kw, so whats happening here is I am having a discrepancy of anything to 1 to 3 kilowatts variance each day. In each case, the inverter always reads higher than the actual EDMI electricity authorities meter.

I rang Sunny Boy up in Sydney and the gentleman explained to me (had trouble understanding my Australian slang) that the Sunny Boy has problems accurately displaying this due to the varying MPP voltage. I explained to him that the MPP voltage in my case is around 265-270 volts on a typical day, open circuit voltage is around 325-330 on an early morning in winter of between 10-15 degrees celcius.

Have any others ever noticed the above problem? According to the gentleman a 3% variant is pretty well norm for them, but I think in my case showing 15.1 and the meter only showing 13 that sounds a little bit more than 3% to me.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

someplace else, I heard reported, that many brands of gear, "Over Read" what is actually
    happening (charging/selling) because it cuts down on "trouble" calls.

If you had a 1KW box, and it reports 900W with 850W of PV vs reporting 622W, in which case would you call to complain?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Blackman
      • Jun 2009

Yesterday I spoke to SMA, today I will email Eco-Kinetics and speak to their Tech man to see what he says about the above.

Comment

• Blackman
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Blackman
        I have been complaining that the output reading of my Kilowatt's generated per day to my Sunny Beam then put on the computer do not match my new EDMI Mk10 3 phase meter. To give you all an example I generated 15.1 kilowatts in one day, the Sunny Boy shows 15.1 the Sunny Beam shows 15.1 and the SDC computer program which reads off the Sunny Beam shows 15.1, but the EDMI meter that day only shows 13kw, so whats happening here is I am having a discrepancy of anything to 1 to 3 kilowatts variance each day. In each case, the inverter always reads higher than the actual EDMI electricity authorities meter.

I rang Sunny Boy up in Sydney and the gentleman explained to me (had trouble understanding my Australian slang) that the Sunny Boy has problems accurately displaying this due to the varying MPP voltage. I explained to him that the MPP voltage in my case is around 265-270 volts on a typical day, open circuit voltage is around 325-330 on an early morning in winter of between 10-15 degrees celcius.

Have any others ever noticed the above problem? According to the gentleman a 3% variant is pretty well norm for them, but I think in my case showing 15.1 and the meter only showing 13 that sounds a little bit more than 3% to me.
        I forgot that's its net metering so the Kw's that are missing is a result of whats being used during the day so its simple I generate 15Kw during the day and the meter shows only 12 Kw I have used 3 Kw during the day whilst the sun is out with normal daily consumption.
        Makes sense now.

Comment

• Aussie Bob

. . . I generate 15Kw during the day and the meter shows only 12 Kw I have used 3 Kw during the day whilst the sun is out with normal daily consumption.
          I bet with pushing 13kw/day back onto the grid, you won't be paying anything more for power from your power supplier.

Comment

• Blackman
            • Jun 2009

Correct Bob, some days its been as high as 15.1 Kw's per day. I have noticed it slowly climbing, getting closer to the longest day of the year.
            Have a read of my findings on our house.

Comment

• Aussie Bob

Correct Bob, some days its been as high as 15.1 Kw's per day. I have noticed it slowly climbing, getting closer to the longest day of the year.
              Let us know how your next power bill is. That should be niiiiice and low, depending on when they added the feed in tariff there. Your future bills should be next to nothing. They'd be paying you.
              Have a read of my findings on our house.
              http://www.voiceofoz.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=137
              Great setup there.

We have the house on a 30,000 litre underground tank and we seem to get enough rain to keep the house (family of 8) going. Just got to get another 10 or so panels up there on the roof, so we get no more power bills too.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Nice looking

@Blackman, Beautiful home and setup! Very well done!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Blackman/MrTivo - very nice setup you have there. I like the hot water control panel. Did you do the software that runs it too ?
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Blackman
                    • Jun 2009

I had a friend help me but to my surprise its running faultless.

Comment

• Blackman
                      • Jun 2009

I will be starting soon the water tank monitoring system, that will be easy to do as its a case of having flygt regulators at every 12 inch level from top to bottom on each tank sending back 12v back to the new led control panel parked next to the HWS Monitor.

Comment

• Blackman
                        • Jun 2009

I spotted a house today only 8 miles away from our house with 38 panels on it. WOW!. I would say its more than a 5 Kw System and I know around Brisbane you need special permission for anything thats 5 Kw or higher.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by gutomza
                          เสริมเรื่อ....
                          Sorry dude, we have to stick with English here. Try re-posting your message using google translate Thai - English or something like that.

Even then, it's mostly gibberish:
                          Supplement the work to get the job done well, professional contact for additional financial success has not run out of money . Sometimes numbers are indicative of the New Timber user the choice pretty to make us look better in time at a number may be the financial or love note from someone who has . reputation among the nobility or telephone number . His house is not a number I want by number or contact the company that is easy to remember . As the phone has a crucial part to help . New business success. Numbers are not using it. Affect the lives of users. R will result in a positive or negative number, I do not believe I have to believe that the effect of telephone being used .
                          Last edited by Mike90250; 10-07-2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by mimizy
                            อาจจะช่วยเสริมดวง...
                            Sorry english only here, till we have a moderator that speaks _____.

Comment

Working...