Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a reliable stud finder for locating Rafters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like the $700 Boshe is still best.

Comment

I posted a thread on this a while ago. Borrowed a Hilti PS38 from a local Hilti salesman, it was his demo. It has since been replaced by another model. It worked perfectly for about 95% of my holes. A couple were at the edge, don't know why. Hilti PS38.jpg
      Hilti PS38a.jpg
      Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

We have had a Bosch D-tect 150 now for a couple months and give it two thumbs up. I had given up trying out stud finders for roofs, but gave the Bosch a try after reading about it here. it flat out works. Only trick you have to know is to provide a smooth surface (like card stock paper) for it to run on.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
          We have had a Bosch D-tect 150 now for a couple months and give it two thumbs up. I had given up trying out stud finders for roofs, but gave the Bosch a try after reading about it here. it flat out works. Only trick you have to know is to provide a smooth surface (like card stock paper) for it to run on.

What do you mean a smooth surface ? If your on a roof ? I

Comment

The smooth surface they're talking about, similar to the photo above. a piece of cardboard or thick paper so as to have a smooth surface to rub it across

Comment

A guy I know saw this tool at the NABCEP conference in San Diego, and it's worked like a charm for me doing residential installs.
              Wire tip lines up with that hole in the key head. Drill a hole to the side, insert it, and rotate til it's stopped. Key head's got a 3/4" radius (for most rafters that's half the width), so you make a mark off the edge, rotate back the other way and make another mark. connect the two and you get a centerline above the rafter. Easy.
              You do have to be within 3 inches of the rafter to reach it, so you've gotta have general idea where the rafter is
              Had been using copper wire to find rafters for years and this is basically that process made way easier. Check them out here: chiptoolz.com
              Attached Files

Comment

Great if you do not mind drilling extra hole in the roof that you have to reseal.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Yeah, I'd just rather know that I'm lagging into the center for sure. Plus I'll just seal that hole up with M1 and it's under my flashing, so I'm not worried about leaks

Comment

Working...
                  X