Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philip
    • Apr 2011

Sun Electronics?

Anyone have experience purchasing from Sun Electronics? I'm about to take the plunge on an 8KW system and $20K+ is a lot of change to throw around if hassles come with it.

I'm looking at SB8000U and 48 Sun SV-T-200 HV, (three strings/16 ea.). and all the other goodies, (combiner, mounting system, etc.).
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

From what I have read from members, you just have to be very clear on your order - don't leave open questions or fuzzy points.

One guy in Brazil thinks they are the worst company in the world but overall I have read few complaints.

Don't expect a lot of technical assistance from them I understand. Their low prices mean they don't spend to maintain such services.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• raydias
      • Mar 2011

I bought 4 panels from them and had only 3 complaints.

1- the panel they had showing on the web page was a different model than what they had in stock. Seems they don't maintain the web page very well

2- their shipping department didn't communicate that the item actually shipped. Luckily the trucking company called me the day before to confirm the delivery window.

3- shipping calculator is inaccurate. Call them to get a proper quote for shipping before ordering. I don't know if I had submitted the order online if the shipping would have been the quoted price or the cheaper on the phone quote.

Panels work as described. Like all things purchased online, buyer beware and do your research.
      --Ray
      8xSV-X-195-LV - 22.80 Voc - 18.30 Vmp - 10.66 Imp - 11.55 Isc
      2xUL Solar 85w - 21.9 Voc - 17.9 Vmp - 4.84 Imp - 5.17 Isc
      1xUL Solar 120w - 21.9 Voc - 18.1 Vmp - 6.6 Imp - 6.8 Isc
      7xHF 15w - 23.57 Voc - 17.5 Vmp - 0.86 Imp - 1.15 Isc
      MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
      Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller
      700ah used Gel batteries
      Xantrex PROWatts 600 PSW Inverter
      HF 1000/2000 MSW Watt Inverter

Comment

• Philip
        • Apr 2011

Thanks guys, it's kind of what I got from poking around. Having built my last two houses from scratch, I've learned to be VERY SPECIFIC when talking to vendors!

Comment

• Jason
          Administrator
          • Dec 2008

You may also want to check out www.solartown.com for solar energy products. Full disclosure: Solartown is now hosting this forum.

Comment

• Philip
            • Apr 2011

Solar Town seems way overpriced, their pre packaged systems look to be twice the competition. Do they discount heavily?

Comment

• virgil
              • Jul 2011

I recently purchase 2 solar systems from CivicSolar in CA. I started out talking to Sun Electronics and found that the products I wanted was not in stock...
              CivicSolar won my business by continually adjusting prices and redesigning my system until we had a good match and complete system with all product in stock.
              I just ordered 2 more charge controllers from civicsolar because I also purchase 2 wind turbins from another co and they needed their own contollers.
              I highly recomend talking to Ryan Blackmon with CivicSolar. He is a very knowleded sales person and willing to go the extra mile to meet your needs.
              Virgil Smith

Comment

• squerly
                • Aug 2011

No complaints with the products that i bought, just don't have much good to say about their shipping department. The panels I bought needed to be delivered on time, to a remote location. I had everyone and everything ready to go but the panels were delivered to the address that our credit card billing goes to. Any money we saved was spent in lost productivity and reshipping costs.
                Squerly ~

Comment

• Keith
                  • Aug 2011

Discount solar panel of the week from SolarTown

Philip, I am glad that you checked us out at SolarTown. We offer a full range of solar panels, from the less expensive solar panels to the high output panels. if the main thing you are looking for is price, then we at SolarTown offer a Discount Solar Panel of the week. These panels are offered at low prices because of an oversupply from the manufacturer or distributor. The panel we are offering this week is substantially less than $2/watt and we expect that the other panels we will be offering in the coming weeks will be at about that range. These panels come with a full manufacturer's warranty and our usual customer service. The discount solar panel of the week can be found at http://www.solartown.com/b2b/install...d-contractors/

Mod note:
                  Solartown is the host of this message board, so his shameless plugs, are OK, they pay the bills.
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...