Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glassdome
    • Apr 2024

myEnergy additional panels to existing set up with IQ7A inverters

Hi, we have an existing set up professionally installed by a MSC registered agent. Currently we have 4 panels on one outbuiding (a garage) with an enphase envoy (connected to the telsa hub and internet) and each panel has its own IQ7A micro inverter. The garage is around 50 ft from the main house where we have a Tesla gateway and the 4 panels link from the garage to provide power into the house.

In the other direction we have a Tesla Powerwall linked to the gateway in the house - this charges from the solar, but with only 4 panels, most of our charging is done at night from the grid with cheaper power.

We would like to add 4 panels to a cabin at the bottom of the garden. We imagine this will be as simple as connecting to a cut off and then the spare 16A circuit that is unused at the moment?

If we used the same panels and IQ7A's would the exisitng enphase envoy pick up the panels automatically? Or do we need to add a second envoy at this location? Unfortunately adding a dedicated cat 5 cable just for these panels will be difficult - for a clamp to read the power generation - unless it can go through a router.

Thanks in advance for any help as we have had some quotes but the cost is high and seems more complicated that expected. We thought we could simply add more panels once we had the initial set up and the additional power would be automatically picked up. I just wanted to check before we decide whether we should go ahead as at the moment the costs are so high that it would not be worth doing sadly.

Sorry, this is my first post and a newbie.. hopefully I have provided enough information and details.

Solar Setup.png
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

You can add more IQ7s to your existing Envoy. It is easier for the Envoy to pick up the powerline signal if they end up coming through the same breaker panel. You may have to get the Envoy to poll for new micros. I use Enphase Manager but it may not be available unless you take an Enphase online course. There are some buttons inside the Envoly that will start the polling process. The micros will work even though the Envoy does not recognize them. You can use an clamp on Ammeter to verify after ten minutes.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...