Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoyGBiv
    • Feb 2022

Upgrade Existing Solar Panels

I have an existing 12 year old solar install on my garage using 8 x Enphase Microinverters and Kyocera 240w panels (14% efficient). Its a 1920W system. I suspect a few of the Enphase inverters and or panels have gone south on me as the system output is not as good as it used to be in direct sunlight (no shading) but I do not have per module monitoring. Anyway, far better solar panels are dirt cheap these days so I was investigating replacing these panels with more efficient ones and tying them into a string inverter / battery system for the garage (off grid).

I imagine I will need to find panels with similar width but slightly more flexible height due to the way they are clamped to the rail. Correct? Has anyone here managed to swap out different panels on existing mounting hardware? TIA.

System details:solarPVGarage.png
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 02-29-2024, 10:30 PM.
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

I would suspect the Micros before I think the panels are bad. While not as efficient as newer panels The quality of Kyocera PV has never been suspect. Your panels are slightly over 39 inches wide. Any new panels wider than that will cause you to drop one panel per row. Keep that in mind when panel shopping
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• RoyGBiv
      • Feb 2022

Thanks for the reply! I agree that the M215s are far more likely to be the culprit.
      Regarding replacement panels I have been searching for options within the 39"- 40" width as there is around 4" extra rail to work with on the left side of both rows, thankfully.
      Although selection is very limited at that width I have found two very promising options:

Signature Solar provides solar panels, off-grid solar systems, grid-tie, and hybrid systems. Quality solar inverters, bifacial solar panels, complete solar kits, solar batteries. Featuring brands such as EG4 Electronics with their solar battery, LifePower4 and EG4 LLifePower4 and EG4 LL

Low Flat Rate Freight! Trina TSM-335DD06M.05(II) Solar Panel, 335W, MC4, 35mm Black Frame, Black Backsheet, 120 Half Cell Mono, 20A Fuse, 1000VDC, 312.4W PTC

Im leaning towards the REC but length of the panels are increased 13.51" while the Trina Solar panels add only1.11".

8 x of either should work fine with the EG4 6000XP. Im more here to confirm the feasibility because I am no expert.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Like Littleharbor 2, I'd be suspect of the micros before the panels.
        The M215's had a lousy reputation.
        The panels were and still are pretty reliable.

Also, and for no more than what it's worth, if you are in CA (and maybe other states as well), if you're considering increasing the system (electrical) size by more than 1 STC kW, know that doing so will kick you out of the sweet deal that was NEM 1.0 and put you in NEM 3.0 (in CA) which is nowhere near as sweet a deal.

Comment

• littleharbor2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

[QUOTE=RoyGBiv;n442015]

Im leaning towards the REC but length of the panels are increased 13.51" while the Trina Solar panels add only1.11".

If length is an issue, then look for either 60 cell, or 120 , 1/2 cell panels. They are basically the same format as your Kyocera 240's
          2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Working...