Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraser
    • May 2016

Example of a 100 amp PV load center

So I need a 100 amp PV load center for my solar installation. Can anyone give a couple examples of a reasonably priced PV load center that will allow 2 inverters to be connected (40a and 60a).

Would something like this work?
    Homeline 100 Amp 6-Space 12-Circuit Outdoor Main Lug Load Center(HOM612L100RBCP)

Thanks!
    Last edited by fraser; 10-28-2023, 02:58 PM.
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by fraser
    So I need a 100 amp PV load center for my solar installation. Can anyone give a couple examples of a reasonably priced PV load center that will allow 2 inverters to be connected (40a and 60a).

Would something like this work?
    Homeline 100 Amp 6-Space 12-Circuit Outdoor Main Lug Load Center(HOM612L100RBCP)
    I do not know the specifics of how your load center will be connected to your main service panel but there are bus bar rules in NEC that should be considered, especially if you want to put a total of 100 Amps of backfeed into it. You may need a bus bar with higher capacity and then derate it by using a smaller breaker serving that load center.
    Last edited by Ampster; 10-29-2023, 02:27 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• fraser
      • May 2016

So I already have the permit for this I just need to follow the line diagram which connects the 2 inverters to a “100amp pv load center” which is then connected to a knife disconnect which is then connected to the main panel. I just need to be sure I get the right thing for a “100 amp pv load center”. Is it just a regular 100 amp panel or something else?
      Last edited by fraser; 10-29-2023, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

I think I have something like the OP asked for. I have three arrays each with oversized inverters. If I hooked them directly to the main panel, I can only connect 40 AMPS of PV (20% of the 200 Amp bus bars). If I hooked them directly to the main panel, I would have to size the breakers for the rated capacity of the inverters which would be somewhere around 60 amps even though at best the 3 arrays might put out 30 AMPs. The solution was to put in run of the mill 6 space subpanel for the three inverters and then running it to a single 40 AMP dual pole breaker in the main panel. The electrician that signed off on it claimed that it was legit.

If its the same sort of use, it was just cheap 6 space expansion panel from Home Depot.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

I had a number of those 100A, 6 position panels here, I found they
          were essentially identical to an 8 position version. In this case I
          was able to swap the internal bus set and the cover without removing
          the box or its conduit connections. This to convert from 6 to 8
          positions as needed. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...