Looking for wiring tips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeeLewis
    • Feb 2018

How in the world do you guys deal with non standard string sizes?
    With three panels potentially putting out say around 8 amps each, I'm looking at around 24/25 amps per string but can only find 15 amp string input combiners.
    Last edited by LeeLewis; 06-28-2023, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LeeLewis
      How in the world do you guys deal with non standard string sizes?
      With three panels potentially putting out say around 8 amps each, I'm looking at around 24/25 amps per string but can only find 15 amp string input combiners.
      If you put one, or two, or 3 panels of 8A in a series string (loop),
      the current everywhere is still 8A. Only the voltage adds up.
      Better go back to Circuits 101. Bruce Roe

Comment

• LeeLewis
        • Feb 2018

As I mentioned, I have shading issues so am trying to go parallel rather than series. Still wondering how you all handle higher currents such as my situation.
        Typically, when it's higher amperage, installers seem to go directly to a charge controller and maybe that's always the case since I'm not finding many combiners that handle the kind of current I'm ending up with if I go parallel.

Not really sure what your comment about 101 means. I know the basics, I'm mostly asking questions about equipment and how people handle different situations.
        Last edited by LeeLewis; 06-28-2023, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• LeeLewis
          • Feb 2018

It's now the best time of day to test so I went out with a current meter to check the panels. On average, the panel reading was 0.15 amps (not ma).

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by LeeLewis
            It's now the best time of day to test so I went out with a current meter to check the panels. On average, the panel reading was 0.15 amps (not ma).
            Is that amp reading AC or DC? I think those micros allow you to parallel those panels which is not what you can do considering your desire to have each panel provide power if the others are shaded.

You will have to decide to go series if you want a DC inverter or build your own combiner box with bigger circuit breakers if you want to parallel the panes and still go DC otherwise you are stuck staying with the micros and going AC
            Last edited by SunEagle; 06-28-2023, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

The language here is, a string of panels means they are wired in series. Bruce Roe

Comment

• LeeLewis
                • Feb 2018

I'm sorry, I'm new to solar terminology. Having to learn because the installer left us hanging with this system and no support.
                The terminology seems to vary in different locations because many youtube videos, articles, documents say either method of connecting multiple panels together means a 'string'. I've also seem some mention that only series is considered a string so, hard to learn for a newbie but trying.

I think I'll end up having to go series otherwise, I'll have to build something (as mentioned) or buy much more costly combiners.
                That said, I might go with a series & parallel configuration.

Anyhow, I think the question can be closed now.

photo_2023-06-29_12-28-08.jpg
                I took a picture of a label on the solar and it's the same as the tech specs showing only the AC output.

That was the DC output of the solar so really, useless information since the meters can only do that using alternating current.
                I have to find a way to meter the current output.
                Last edited by LeeLewis; 06-29-2023, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Working...