Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keaton85
    • May 2010

Simple questions, MPPT input imbalance?

Just in case there are actually cons to this I wanted to ask. Are there any detriments to putting different sized strings on MPPT inputs?

I need to put 12X panels on one input, 13X on another, and 6X on the last input. Or I can do 12X and 12X....
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by keaton85
    Just in case there are actually cons to this I wanted to ask. Are there any detriments to putting different sized strings on MPPT inputs?

I need to put 12X panels on one input, 13X on another, and 6X on the last input. Or I can do 12X and 12X....
    As long as you stay under the max string current, and as long as each string is within the MPPT voltage range ACROSS THE TEMPERATURES IN YOUR AREA (important) then no problems.

Note that each string has to be on a different MPPT channel, not just on a different input lug. (Some inverters/charge controllers provide two lugs per channel. Those two strings would need to be the same.)

Comment

• keaton85
      • May 2010

yeah, the actual current will always stay the same since its series strings, only the voltage will be higher or lower per MPPT input. I don't know how to tell if any of the inputs are on the same channel as the manual only states 4 inputs and nothing more in terms of interconnected channels.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by keaton85
        ....... I don't know how to tell if any of the inputs are on the same channel as the manual only states 4 inputs and nothing more in terms of interconnected channels.
        Try a continuity test.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...