Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calsun
    • Oct 2022

Companies refusing to service systems they did not install

I need to replace an inverter that failed after 10 years. All the solar system companies in my area refuse to do any work on a system they did not install. They have all said that they only service systems they themselves installed. This also means that a warranty from the panel or inverter manufacturer is worthless if the original installer has gone out of business. Only one solar installer that was in business in 2012 when we installed the system at our house is still in business.

So not only a new inverter will become a DIY project for the homeowner but adding a battey backup bank and integrating it may also be far more difficult than one would expect. Even adding more panels or going to an inverter with more MPPT charge controller may only be possible if the company that did the original installion work is willing and able to provide the upgrade options.
  • solardreamer
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Have you asked the inverter manufacturer for help?

Comment

• BertHamm
      • Jun 2018

I'm in Tennessee. Solar is not a big seller here because the main utility, TVA, has one of the lowest electric rates in the country. Soooo.....We don't have many solar system installer. In fact the company, GreenForm out of Chattanooga, that installed my system has gone out of business. The only local installer I have, Scenic City Solar, also told me they'll only service systems they installed.

My problem is the lose of cellular communication. The system requires a new modem upgrade to connect. DIY is a last resort option. My system is about 5 1/2 years old. Still feeds the grid but if I lose a panel I have no way to know. Regards, Bert H.

Comment

• Tom Herman
        • Feb 2023

Wow…. I understand not wanting to work on something that someone else has sold and installed, but it sure sounds like you’re missing an opportunity to bring business in by not taking care of those folks.
        This is a textbook case of where you don’t stay in business by making quick money off someone once.
        The way to be successful is to treat people right, to cultivate customers, so they will trust you and gladly come back to you for future sales and service.
        Hope that sanity prevails, and you can find a company that is trustworthy, Bert.

-Tom

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tom Herman
          Wow…. I understand not wanting to work on something that someone else has sold and installed, but it sure sounds like you’re missing an opportunity to bring business in by not taking care of those folks.
          This is a textbook case of where you don’t stay in business by making quick money off someone once.
          The way to be successful is to treat people right, to cultivate customers, so they will trust you and gladly come back to you for future sales and service.
          Hope that sanity prevails, and you can find a company that is trustworthy, Bert.

-Tom
          The problem is the adder to work on a system that you did not install is small and it makes it harder to make any profit. There also seems to be a lot of New jobs to work on instead of an existing one that you have no skin in to make it work.

Comment

Working...