Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevebor1
    • Nov 2022

Inspector wants "Irreversible Crimp" at roof-top junction box

I have 2 strings of 8 panels on my roof, using APSystem microinverters, which all meet up in one jbox, along with the #6 bonded to panel frames/mount.
    In my approved one-line diagram, all grounds are joined together and then go down to my combiner panel with a #10 wire, along with the 4 red/black wires.
    All grounds in the jbox have a large wire nut combining them.

My inspector, who didn't even look at the jbox, is asking for a photo that I did an "irreversible crimp" on the grounds.
    My question is, what is the proper way to combine/splice all 4 grounds? What specific crimp and tool? reference please.

I am in Southern California

stings-jbox.png
    Last edited by stevebor1; 11-10-2022, 12:33 PM.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Unfortunately I can provide you with an answer but it may not be what the inspector is looking for. Ask them for a clarification and then decide what you need to do if anything

Comment

• stevebor1
      • Nov 2022

After going to a number of electric supply warehouses I was directed to go to GreenTech Renewables nearby my house. They're actually a solar supplier and upon walking and on display was the darn c-taps crimps.

I picked up a few sizes and confirmed with them that this is what I need and is expected for the irreversible crimp on the grounds inside the j box.
      The only thing is like many others say the tool to cramp is very expensive. The one that they had on from Brundy was $400 but only crimps the smaller sizes. I'll see if I can locate some other ratcheting crimp tool and report back on what works.
      ctap.png

Comment

• MGE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

Hey Stevebor1 you didn't need to buy the burgundy crimps a simple ferrel crimp would of sufficed. Inspector just wants to verify that the ground connection wont come unbuttoned. They kinda frown on wire nuts.
        I see your in S cal, Im in San Diego and have a crimper you can use if you need it.
        Or better yet just go over to harbor freight and get the hydraulic crimper kit it's pretty inexpensive and you can do it yourself.
        Used to be a C10 contractor and I used the Burndy Bat750 tool for all my HV terms and any grounding grids that we had to do. That tool is about 2k now.

Comment

• stevebor1
          • Nov 2022

Thanks MGE, I do not think a ferrule crimp will do. I ended buying a similar tool to the Burndy that Greentech had, at a fraction of the price.
          IWISS AP-50BI $28 vs Burndy Y122CMR $300. I think that will do.

Comment

Working...