One inverter with 20 strings All string facing one orientation or 10 strings oposite?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bendesa1962
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2016

One inverter with 20 strings All string facing one orientation or 10 strings oposite?

Hi All,

Imagine a roof with the same tilt and one roof faces east and the other roof faces west. The two roofs are exactly the same.

We have inverters to which 20 strings can be connected. Do we install 20 strings in 1 direction, for example towards the west or
    do we divide the number of strings over the two roofs.

So 10 strings to the east and 10 strings to the west

We are talking about a Grid Tied PV System

What do you guy think?

Kind regards

Ben
    Last edited by Bendesa1962; 09-10-2022, 09:59 AM.
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

I suggest running the numbers here for the correct answer presuming no shading on either side.

PVWatts Calculator (nrel.gov)

Comment

• Bendesa1962
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2016

Hi Mike,

Thats a good point of you. And yes there will be no shading on either site
      Regards

Ben

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

The only advantage to two orientations is you can use a smaller inverter. Or if you are dealing with a grid tied application with a time of use rate plan, you would want all your panels on the west side. Another factor is if you needed more than about 22 panels, but the largest inverter allowed by the the 20% backfeed rule is 7.7kW, then using multiple orientations allows for larger arrays.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bendesa1962
          Hi All,

Imagine a roof with the same tilt and one roof faces east and the other roof faces west. The two roofs are exactly the same.

We have inverters to which 20 strings can be connected. Do we install 20 strings in 1 direction, for example towards the west or

What do you guy think?

Kind regards

Ben
          I presume you mean 20 panels and not "strings". As for how to connect them others have given you good information.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Connecting in parallel, panels or strings with different orientation
            works well because at a given temp the voltage will vary little. That
            happens to the extreme here, a clamp on DC ammeter shows all
            panels still make a positive contribution per their ability at any time.
            Bruce Roe

Comment

• DanS26
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2011

Two string inverters is preferable to one large inverter even if the cost is somewhat higher for a couple of good reasons.....

1. A matched set of inverters with matched set of inputs will constantly give you feedback on the health of your panel system. A fall off of production in one inverter will be immediately noticed, analyzed and corrected if needed. A falloff of power in one large inverter may not be noticed for months maybe even years.

2. If one inverter is down you are still producing power.

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

I presume you mean 20 panels and not "strings". As for how to connect them others have given you good information.
                Actually I do mean 20 Strings. For example a 100KW Inverter. 20 strings facing East, West or 10 Strings facing East and 10 strings facing west

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bcroe
                  Connecting in parallel, panels or strings with different orientation
                  works well because at a given temp the voltage will vary little. That
                  happens to the extreme here, a clamp on DC ammeter shows all
                  panels still make a positive contribution per their ability at any time.
                  Bruce Roe
                  Hi Bruce, thanks for your answer. I do apriciate it. You talk about different orientations, I talk about different tilt. Same orientation

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2016

Hi All,

What do you guy think?

Kind regards

Ben
                    Same question but not facing East & West but North & South, Would it make any difference?

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

You talk about different orientations, I talk about different tilt. Same orientation
                      My orientation is intended to include both facing direction (degrees
                      of the compass) and tilt. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Hi Bruce, thanks for your answer. I do apriciate it. You talk about different orientations, I talk about different tilt. Same orientation
                        By most common understanding and convention, an array's or a panel's orientation is specified by two parameters:
                        1.) It's tilt. Horizontal being zero degrees and 90 degrees being vertical.
                        2.) It's azimuth with true north being 0 degrees, east being 90 degrees, true south being 180 degrees and west being 270 degrees.

It's also usual to specify an array's height above mean sea level and often latitude and longitude.

There are some uses and sense for calling out for tilts greater than 90 degrees but that's usually found in applications such as for bifacial panels or for high albedo applications, and some resource assessment calculations. However, there seems to be no agreed upon convention for such applications at this time that I'm aware of.

For most common applications, if two arrays have the same azimuth but different tilts, they have, by convention, different orientations. Similarly, if two arrays have the same tilt but different azimuths, they have, by convention, different orientations.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.
                        Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-12-2022, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Actually I do mean 20 Strings. For example a 100KW Inverter. 20 strings facing East, West or 10 Strings facing East and 10 strings facing west
                          Wait. you have 20 strings? How many panels are you installing and is the 100kw system a commercial one. It can't be for a home.

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2016

Well it's absolutely for a commercial project.

In total around 2800 PV Modules

But I think for the sun it doen't make any difference either it's residential or commercial (-:

Comment

• Mike 134
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2022

Well it's absolutely for a commercial project.

In total around 2800 PV Modules

But I think for the sun it doen't make any difference either it's residential or commercial (-:
                              Your design engineers will give you good advice.

Comment

Working...