X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

Failed module level shutdown device

Well, I've been saying it for years - don't install electronics on a hot roof.
    Replaced a rapid shutdown device today. Is this fire safety?
    I'd like to upload a picture of the mess, but can't get the upload to work...
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

I wish the upload would be restored, sounds like an addition to my
    list of 52 reasons a ground mount is better. Bruce Roe
    Last edited by bcroe; 07-16-2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Mike 134
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2022

Originally posted by solarix
      Well, I've been saying it for years - don't install electronics on a hot roof.
      Although I don't disagree about electronics and temperature extremes, auto manufactures have not had any issues for over 20 years so perhaps it's needless concern. The interior of a car in Arizona during the summer can easily reach 150 degrees, winters in Canada get to 40 below zero. Plus, the stuff on your roof doesn't have to survive daily vibrations and road shocks.

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

Auto electronics have plenty of failures and issues. Your typical car warranty is only four or five years long and people are willing to accept all the maintenance for cars because transportation is highly valued. In solar, we have these wonderfully reliable PV panels that will last 50 years and are warrantied for half that but need to provide the balance of system commensurate with that in order to be cost effective. Our competition - the Utility - provides a cost effective option and if the solar system is not trouble free and very cost effective, the homeowner might as well just stay on the utility. Solar systems need to be highly reliable in order to be cost effective. High-rel electronics is not easy - especially in hostile environments on consumer level budgets.
        This rapid shutdown requirement is a mistake and is going to cause far more trouble than whatever benefit it seeks to gain.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• nerdralph
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2021

Originally posted by bcroe
          I wish the upload would be restored, sounds like an addition to my
          list of 52 reasons a ground mount is better. Bruce Roe
          Upload seems to be working for a select few (I'm not one of them).
          I find ground mount too expensive. It currently costs me about CAD40 per panel for rails, clamps and flashing. I can't find a small (12-16 panel) ground mount system for less than CAD150 per panel. Canada doesn't require module-level shutdown when the inverter is within 1m of the array (like NEC-2014), so I use string inverters and mount them high on the wall, close to the roof.

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by nerdralph
            I find ground mount too expensive. It currently costs me about CAD40 per panel for rails, clamps and flashing. I can't find a small (12-16 panel) ground mount system for less than CAD150 per panel.
            Ground mounting certainly will cost more. But it allows me to keep panels
            in service and snow clear every day of the year. My mounts are custom built.
            Treated wood is pretty cheap, but the life expectancy is only half that of the
            panels. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...