Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SCSE
    • Apr 2018

External Disconnect for CLP?

I'm with a long-time solar installer in the AR/OK. We've been installing off-grid and grid-tied w/ batt backup systems for 10+ years. We installed a grid-tied with batt backup system several years ago. At the time using Schneider inverter, charge controller, PDP, and crit load panel. Inverter has ability to sell-back, so we've line-tapped the main panel. We have an AC disconnect on this line. Everything done per NEC.

At the time of install, customer only had a barn and was building his house. Construction is now completed and he's working with POCO on NMA. We provided a one-line and the normal paperwork for the NMA and were told by POCO that we need a lockable, exterior disconnect for the AC Out line to the CLP. POCO says they discussed with their "standards dept" and that is the rqmt. This is news to us, since we've never had to do that before. I asked for the code that requires this, but in the meantime I thought I would ask here.

I don't think this is an NEC rqmt. If anything it would come from NFPC. I don't want to be stupid arguing about something that NFPC requires now. Maybe it's just a new rqmt that we're not aware of. Anyone heard of the need to put a lockable, accessible discon on the AC Out to CLP?
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

All I have to offer based on 38 years of electrical work, if you want the power turned on do what they ask for. Pass the costs to the customer unless it's your error and omission then eat it.

Many, many, utility requirements are not a NEC code, but can be local or even Fire dept. driven.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134
      All I have to offer based on 38 years of electrical work, if you want the power turned on do what they ask for. Pass the costs to the customer unless it's your error and omission then eat it.

Many, many, utility requirements are not a NEC code, but can be local or even Fire dept. driven.
      Unfortunately the local code enforcers or AHJ have the final say even it means going above and beyond the latest NEC rules.

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by SunEagle

Unfortunately the local code enforcers or AHJ have the final say even it means going above and beyond the latest NEC rules.
        You make that sound like a bad thing. The NEC is a MINIMUM requirement. Often best practices exceed the NEC minimums

Comment

• SCSE
          • Apr 2018

Thanks, guys. This is AR...there are a few local codes in the bigger cities...but out in rural parts of the state where this job is located there is nothing. I'm dealing with the largest POCO in the state (Entergy) who has never forced this discon rqmt in the past (and we've installed dozens of batt systems tied to their grid). I just wanted to make sure there was no add'l NFPC or NEC rqmt that we didn't know about that was governing a new rqmt. We thought maybe the NFPC has a rqmt where ALL power in a bldg needs to be disconnected from the exterior...

I don't know about you guys, but the micromanagment and red tape by the POCOs (especially the co-ops) in our region has ratcheted up over the past 12 mths. Taking much longer to review and approve of net metering and we're seeing "issues" like this on lots of jobs.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134

You make that sound like a bad thing. The NEC is a MINIMUM requirement. Often best practices exceed the NEC minimums
            Depends. Sometimes the AHJ just will not listen because they "know best" and refuse to change their minds. IMO the NEC is a pretty good rule to go by and unless the AHJ is looking for improvement they seem to just be human and say what they want to keep in control.

Comment

• peakbagger
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2010

Long ago my utility required the same thing with a placard on the meter box explaining where the switch was located. They no longer require it but when reconfiguring my arrays I kept it in place as non of my arrays are new enough to provide rapid shutdown. I have a production meter on that combined sub panel so keeping the outdoor disconnect was a couple of fittings and some short lengths of wire. Most utilities have a practices book that contractors are expected to comply with that takes precedence over code minimum. Even though gird tied inverters are inherently safe from backfeeding, many utilities require positive visible lock out tag out of a disconnect on a power source that can backfeed the grid despite a whole lot of protective relaying in place. If the generator disconnect is not immediately adjacent to the utility disconnect on the pole we need to have an engraved placard showing the distance and direction to the lockable generator disconnect. Its their system and they can do what they want with it.

Comment

Working...