• Show
Clear All
  • Bendesa1962
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2016

Self consumption Sizing

Hi All,

Just curious about your opinions.

How do you design / size the maximum capacity of a PV System that you want to be self-consuming. (No export to the grid)

So it's a grid tied PV System. No storage equipment. Just verry simple Grid Tied.

Let's assume there is an average evenly distributed consumption (load) during the daylight hours of 150.000 Watt

How would you calculate / size the system ?

Many thx in advance for your contribution

Kind regards

B
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

06-16-2022, 09:05 AM
    Hi Suneagle
    thx for your replay. This projects is just South of the E. I ask this question because there seemed to be different opinions on this.

And you're right it's not for a residential installation. It's an industrial project of total 1 MW.

Thx for your contribution.

How did this project workout for you?

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike 134
      Hi Suneagle
      thx for your replay. This projects is just South of the E. I ask this question because there seemed to be different opinions on this.

And you're right it's not for a residential installation. It's an industrial project of total 1 MW.

Is this post in the right thread ?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Hi Suneagle

Is that question directed to me or to Bendesa1962?

Comment

• Mike 134
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by SunEagle

Is that question directed to me or to Bendesa1962?
          Bendesa

Comment

• Bendesa1962
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2016

Hi Suneagle

Hi Suneagle,

I guess this question is about the different orientations of different strings on 1 MPPT right?

Well the project is still in the phase of designing and there are some different opinions about this topic.
            Personally I think the difference between those two options are negligible because it's located so close to the equator.
            The tilt of the roofs is only 15 degrees,

So I think it's not necessary to use two different orientations on 1 MPPT.

Kind regards

B

PS What are your thoughts on the self consumption question?

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bendesa1962

Hi Suneagle,

I guess this question is about the different orientations of different strings on 1 MPPT right?

Well the project is still in the phase of designing and there are some different opinions about this topic.
              Personally I think the difference between those two options are negligible because it's located so close to the equator.
              The tilt of the roofs is only 15 degrees,

So I think it's not necessary to use two different orientations on 1 MPPT.

Kind regards

B

PS What are your thoughts on the self consumption question?

If the array is on or close to the E then it really doesn't matter which way they are pointed. The wiring to the inverter will depend on the maximum allowed input so IMO if the inverter has more then one inputs then splitting the number of panels and wiring half to each input makes sense to me.

As for the self consumption question. That will depend on what your loads are and when they are being used. I believe some grid tie inverters can be programmed so as not to sell back any excess power that is not consumed by the loads. But that is something you need to engineer into the design.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

If you aim for zero grid export in the the winter, you will be overpaneled come summer. But maybe you will kick on the big air conditioners then. There are
                many details to factor:
                Times of power usage
                Usable solar hours / obstructions winter/summer
                Is there a cost goal ?
                does your utility not allow grid export, or are you trying to sneak in under the radar ?
                Backup solar or generator power if grid is down ?
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2016

Ok let's open up and give you more information.

The project is realized under BOT Built Operate Transfer. With a zero investment for the client.

The PV System will be installed on the factory roof of the client.

An Investor will finance the whole system

The client buys the produced kWh by the PV System against a tariff of minus 10% of the utility company

The investor operates and maintains the system for a period of 20 years

After 20 years the system is transferred to the client.

The country is Indonesia

All kWh that are exported to the grid will not be payable for the investor so no revenue

The Utility company does not give any credit for the exported kwh

So I'm looking for the balance between maximum capacity PV System and maximum savings for the client and maximum

revenue for the investor.

How would you determine the maximum PV System Capacity?

And yes I know many variables are involved and that the numbers are not static

I'm just curious what are your thoughts on this

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

B

Comment

Working...