X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Solar Edge install and commissioning

Had all the panels installed by sundown yesterday so commissioned the system today.
    My first time ever commissioning a solar system. I must say Solar Edge makes it pretty idiot proof. The Set-app worked perfect.
    If I had to rate it for those of you that are in the electrical industry way easier than commissioning Danfoss or Yaskawa drives, even easier than ABB drives and they are pretty intuitive.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134
    Had all the panels installed by sundown yesterday so commissioned the system today.
    My first time ever commissioning a solar system. I must say Solar Edge makes it pretty idiot proof. The Set-app worked perfect.
    If I had to rate it for those of you that are in the electrical industry way easier than commissioning Danfoss or Yaskawa drives, even easier than ABB drives and they are pretty intuitive.
    I am glad it all worked out for you. I too have had a number of VFD drives that I had to commission in my past. And some as you indicated were not really easy or straight forward.

Comment

• foggysail
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2012

Great job mike---- proud of your getting through the mess!

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

Foggy,

I can see why so many solar installers use the small 60 cell modules. Mine were 79" long so a bit more troublesome getting them onto the roof.

I ended up cutting off the Jinko proprietary connectors on the panels and replacing them with Multi Contacts MC4 connectors. When I searched Jinko's website they required matching connectors, and the Solar Edge site also required matching connectors.

I found out "Compatible" MC4 connectors are not permitted anymore both by 2020 NEC and the manufacturers.

Good luck on your project.

Comment

• foggysail
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2012

Thanks Mike. I am holding on getting a permit until I get some quotes. I had someone here last during the week who looked at the house and I explained that I wanted a 10KW installation. He sat at my table and put a quote together and at the same time I wrote a number (30K) on a pad. When he told me 39K I tuned the pad over. He hinted they might be able to get to 33 or 32 but needed to confirm with his management.

Sure enough, he came through with a 5K discount from his 39K earlier to 34.999. Great math! I don't have any pressure to get this done immediately and when anybody throws numbers of 30,35, 40K those numbers are not pocket change.

I am going to do a thorough search for quotes. I intend to also try finding a crew that does installs who might want to make a darned good weekend day's pay on the side.

Back to your install! YEAH! The panels I have looked at are the same size as those now on your roof. More for me to think about. Did you have your meter changed? Around here the utilities claim they need to change the meters for net metering.

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by foggysail

Back to your install! YEAH! The panels I have looked at are the same size as those now on your roof. More for me to think about. Did you have your meter changed? Around here the utilities claim they need to change the meters for net metering.
            The meter was changed out last year the entire region going to "smart meters" No cost to the homeowners. Won't need another change. When I pulled the meter to upgrade my service panel about an hour after I started ComEd called and asked if I needed someone to come out because they saw I had a "Power outage"

Comment

• foggysail
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134

The meter was changed out last year the entire region going to "smart meters" No cost to the homeowners. Won't need another change. When I pulled the meter to upgrade my service panel about an hour after I started ComEd called and asked if I needed someone to come out because they saw I had a "Power outage"
              Gees---- smart meters! When I was doing electrical stuff (20+ years ago) here in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, the providers put up a stink, forbid us from disconnecting the service when doing a service upgrade. They wanted their guys to come out and do the disconnect/reconnect. Yes, smart everythings are doing away with many jobs.

Comment

Working...