Question on array orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on array orientation

So down here in Northern Baja there's thousands of off grid PV systems and new ones being installed all the time.
    There's a Alternative energy operation down here that is installing new systems with SW to WSW orientations. When asked by a curious neighbor about this was told that "I have been doing this for 40 years now and I know what I'm doing" Apparently, after a friend of his said, he's basing this odd orientation on some reports the theory that, After I read said reports, GRID TIED systems benefit the grid by producing peak power in the afternoon when demand is highest. The only other reason I could think of to choose this westerly orientation would be if you have a persistent Marine Layer problem, which we don't have on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula.. We're not talking "Virtual Tracking" here. Just a single array
    Off Grid PV systems store power in your battery bank which gets drawn on when the sun goes away, overnight and in the early am hours. Wouldn't it make sense, in this scenario that you would want to begin charging your battery bank sooner, rather than later in the day? How can you EVER take advantage of opportunity loading when you're still charging into the afternoon?
    Just thought I'd throw this out there and get the thoughts of others on this subject.
    Last edited by littleharbor2; 02-28-2022, 11:54 AM.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

I agree a southern orientation will harvest the most energy.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I also agree with Ampster. A southern exposure seems to be the best orientation if the panels are fixed.

But you really have to determine when you are going to use the most loads and then maybe place the panels based on that so the panels supply the loads as well as charge a battery system.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        I

But you really have to determine when you are going to use the most loads and then maybe place the panels based on that so the panels supply the loads as well as charge a battery system.
        That logic would dictate getting your batteries charged sooner than later so that you have more available , otherwise lost, PV power. Unless for some reason you have to use this power late in the day. If that were the case I would have a split array so that your batteries have a chance to charge early.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor2 View Post

That logic would dictate getting your batteries charged sooner than later so that you have more available , otherwise lost, PV power. Unless for some reason you have to use this power late in the day. If that were the case I would have a split array so that your batteries have a chance to charge early.
          I would think a split array is a good idea if you are Off Grid. But someone like Mike can provide specific info concerning what it takes to live off grid comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I would think a split array is a good idea if you are Off Grid. But someone like Mike can provide specific info concerning what it takes to live off grid comfortably.
            Are you referring to me(Mike McCormick) or someone else? I have been off grid now for about 9 years and haven't had a single glitch , well one. I was in the garage once when Cloud Edge effect insolation popped my CC to battery circuit breaker. Ended up getting a larger breaker. Mere coincidence that I was standing there when it happened. It could have turned into a refer full of spoiled food had I been up at home on Catalina, at the time.

Comment

Are you referring to me(Mike McCormick) or someone else? I have been off grid now for about 9 years and haven't had a single glitch , well one. I was in the garage once when Cloud Edge effect insolation popped my CC to battery circuit breaker. Ended up getting a larger breaker. Mere coincidence that I was standing there when it happened. It could have turned into a refer full of spoiled food had I been up at home on Catalina, at the time.
              Good to know you have had success with your system. I was talking about Mike the Moderator who has been off grid for a few years.

Comment

Play with the PTwatts program and plug in different azimuths to see for yourself which gives the best total KWHs for that location

Comment

So down here in Northern Baja there's thousands of off grid PV systems and new ones being installed all the time.
                  There's a Alternative energy operation down here that is installing new systems with SW to WSW orientations. When asked by a curious neighbor about this was told that "I have been doing this for 40 years now and I know what I'm doing" Apparently, after a friend of his said, he's basing this odd orientation on some reports the theory that, After I read said reports, GRID TIED systems benefit the grid by producing peak power in the afternoon when demand is highest. The only other reason I could think of to choose this westerly orientation would be if you have a persistent Marine Layer problem, which we don't have on the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula.. We're not talking "Virtual Tracking" here. Just a single array
                  Off Grid PV systems store power in your battery bank which gets drawn on when the sun goes away, overnight and in the early am hours. Wouldn't it make sense, in this scenario that you would want to begin charging your battery bank sooner, rather than later in the day? How can you EVER take advantage of opportunity loading when you're still charging into the afternoon?
                  Just thought I'd throw this out there and get the thoughts of others on this subject.
                  I think it could make sense, any electricity that he uses directly from the panels during the evening doesn't go through the batteries, so the batteries aren't experiencing wear for that so they'll last significantly longer. You always want to use electricity immediately rather than store it if at all possible. Batteries add pretty significantly to any electricity cost incurred and he may even be able to fit smaller batteries, whereas panels are getting pretty much dirt cheap. You can overspecify the panels to make up for the reduced production from not facing due south.

Still, a virtual tracker sounds like a better idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X