Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Tariff Question + 100kw install advice sought

Hi,

I am asking about a larger installation than most, about 100 kw.

Flat building, no obstructions, about 9500 sf, but 6000 sf has 24 foot tall ceilings — gonna cost a TON to heat. I’ve been reading everything I can about solar panels, radiant heat, geothermal heat, heat exchangers, BTUs, electric furnaces, etc.

We bought the building for commercial textile and composites production and have several 3 phase tools, ovens, freezers, etc. I think we can get 100 kw on the roof, but almost certainly will use more than that, so, a hybrid, grid-tied system is required.

I also have experience importing and using Alibaba. Not Ali Express, but the B2B arm. It works well if you can clear your own customs and know how to vet suppliers.

I had several hybrid system quotes in the works, and then I got this:

“Can you solve anti-subsidy and dumping taxes in USA?”

Did a little research, but that’s an ENTIRELY new arm of research. So I have a few questions for people who know a lot more about both these Chinese suppliers and the tariff war that will probably affect what I’m trying to do.

1) Anyone know any of these companies? What concerns do you have about safety and reliability based on their product claims? I’m not much concerned about actual delivery — I’ve done this before.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...12243863.0.0.3 8403e5fcm4KUH

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38403e5fcm4KUH

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...38403e5fcm4KUH

2) Anyone know about the tariffs? Are there any workarounds? Are there competitively-priced American/Mexican/Canadian producers for larger systems like this? Do the tariffs apply to just the solar panels, but maybe not the batteries and inverters, or do I need to research those costs as well?

To be honest, I’m getting a little burned out on research, and I’d love someone with credentials to say, “Get this system from here. You’ll pay a little more, but here’s why that’s a good idea. Tell them I sent you.”

I have little interest in paying someone to source and install this. The local quotes including installation so far are around $150,000 to $175,000, while it appears that I can buy the components for about $65,000. There’s NO way the installation alone should cost $100,000. I appreciate the value of expertise, but that’s so far off the charts I don’t know what to think. It’s not like they’re getting a worse price than I could. I’ve got a good commercial electrician to finish the connections.

I’d be HAPPY to pay an expert to give me a shopping list — reach out if you are qualified.

PS: Our battery storage requirement is unknown at this point, and needs to be expandable. We currently rent, and the utilities are covered by the landlord, and can’t be easily split out from his much larger fabrication company.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveCronk; 03-05-2022, 08:57 PM.

I purchased $5,000 of LFP batteries from several Alibaba vendors and specified DAP terms. The vendor covered all shipping and import duties per DAP (Delivered At Place) terms.
    Have you compared prices of US suppliers of solar panels and inverters? I bought my inverter and solar panels domestically but batteries from China.
    Last edited by Ampster; 02-25-2022, 05:06 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
    X