X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
    Perhaps unfortunately or not, I'm pretty sure that for a lot of those who you call less ignorant, tax planning for a $7,500 windfall is a pretty pointless endeavor because they'll have a very low probability of generating that much of a tax bill. .........
    I think the point Peakbagger was making was that with planning, one can take advantage of a tax credit. Over the past ten years I have taken three tax credits for the purchase of EVs. I would not consider the credit so much of a windfall, as it was a consequence of a thoughtful decision process. My group of acquaintances tend to be well informed as are many on other forums which I frequent.

For those less informed it could very well be considered a windfall. The value of dialogues such as this is that some readers can become better informed.
    To the point of this thread, supply chain issues are affecting the timing of some vehicle purchases which can add complexity to the timing of a purchase decision.
    Last edited by Ampster; 02-25-2022, 04:28 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

Since I contributed to knocking this thread way off the rails, I will put in my supply chain issue.

On a CHP system I am working on there is need for Remote Terminal Unit hooked to a modern equivalent of T-1 line. The regional grid operator requires a modem to match up with the one on their end. The RTU sends a continuous permission to the plant to be connected to the grid and "heartbeat" signal to confirm that the line is live as well as a data stream indicating the plant output. The modem is normally off the shelf, last time the manufacturer replied we may be able to get one in 40 plus weeks.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Apparently gasoline prices in California hit $6.00 per gallon.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
          Crap. At least we are still around $3.50/gallon here but I hold no hope it will stay that way.

Comment

• RichardCullip
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2019

$4.77/gallon this morning at my favorite Chevron station in Poway, CA. It would have been almost touching $5/gallon if I didn't get a $0.10/gallon retired employee discount and a $0.10/gallon credit from shopping at Vons.

Comment

• solarix
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2015

Gas prices? - I'm charging my BoltEV right now off my solar array....
              BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• RichardCullip
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by solarix
                Gas prices? - I'm charging my BoltEV right now off my solar array....
                Chev Bolt? I pray it doesn't catch on fire......

Comment

• solarix
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2015

Lots more gas cars catch fire than EVs. Mine works great and they are giving me a free battery anyway.... Best vehicle I've ever had and fun to drive as well. Waiting for delivery of a Rivian truck as well!
                  BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Lots more gas cars catch fire than EVs. Mine works great and they are giving me a free battery anyway.... Best vehicle I've ever had and fun to drive as well. Waiting for delivery of a Rivian truck as well!
                    Let me know how well that truck is. Because that is the type of vehicle I am waiting on before I replace my Tundra.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

One reason for that might be that ICE vehicles outnumber EV's by something like 2 orders of magnitude or so.

Conjecture on my part: Since the age of the ICE fleet is probably greater than that of the EV fleet, and since I'd think the probability of an older ICE vehicle catching fire is greater than the possibility of a newer ICE vehicle catching fire, I'd think that average fleet age might have something to do with it, although I'd guess the greater numbers of ICE vehicles is probably controlling.

I wonder if any reliable (and recent) statistics are available on car fires per number of registered vehicles for both categories of vehicle ?

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

The statistic I have seen is fires per mile driven which may have been the one solarix was referring to.
                        One statistic shows Teslas have one fire for 205 million miles versus ICE vehicles on fire for 19 million miles. I have not seen statistics for recent fires in those EVs affected by the LG Chem recall.
                        https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TMCwhDqgQCmkih
                        Last edited by Ampster; 02-27-2022, 12:20 PM. Reason: add statistics.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

The statistic I have seen is fires per mile driven which may have been the one solarix was referring to.
                          One statistic shows Teslas have one fire for 205 million miles versus ICE vehicles on fire for 19 million miles. I have not seen statistics for recent fires in those EVs affected by the LG Chem recall.
                          https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TMCwhDqgQCmkih
                          Thank you.

Those stats seem to point to what I was getting at.

Did you mean to write one ICE fire per 19 million vehicle-miles driven or am I just being ignorant?

What's the dimension of the car fire incidence rate ? Vehicle-miles?

Comment

• Ampster
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                            Did you mean to write one ICE fire per 19 million vehicle-miles driven or am I just being ignorant?

Yes one fire per 19 million miles. I corrected the original post.
                            I did see another statistic that suggests the hybrids are more prone to fires than either gas or battery electric vehicles.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 02-27-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Yes one fire per 19 million miles. I corrected the original post.
                              I did see another statistic that suggests the hybrids are more prone to fires than either gas or battery electric vehicles.
                              But isn't the data skewed because of the number of ICE vehicles compared to the number of EV's. Heck I am 68 years old and have only seen one fire on a diesel vehicle during that time. I really don't feel threatened by fire when I drive.

Comment

• bcroe
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jan 2012

A complex, pressurized fuel system is going to be a lot more fire prone over
                                time than a carb ICE engine, which mostly applies a vacuum to the fuel line.
                                I am pretty sure I noted an increase in the frequency of burned spots on the
                                shoulder, as fuel injecion became common. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...