Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on how to combine 2 arrays on 2 separate areas of roof Microinverter Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on how to combine 2 arrays on 2 separate areas of roof Microinverter Setup

Looking to combine 6 panels on one side of the roof with 5 on another side (about 10 feet away). I can have up to 13 on one run with the Enphase iQ7+ micros. Want to see what is the best way to do that.

Option 1: Can I wire both through a soladeck from each array and use the q-cable to combine them in the attic (do I need to use a conduit in the attic?)

Option 2: can I use 12 awg Rolex NM to connect them in the attic from the soladeck?

Option 3: EMT on the roof to connect (this is my last resort)

any advise on best way to do this would be appreciated- thank you for the help here!

On my installation the installers used Q cable to the Soladeck.They ran the Q cable along the racking to the Soladeck and ran the Q cable in PVC attached to blocks attached to the roof between arrays.
    From the Soladeck to my breaker panel I ran 12 AWG in Flex conduit but in my jurisdiction Romex would also have been code for AC carrying conductors.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Thanks for the input Ampster. My connection to combine them is right at the ridge so would be cleaner to go through attic and not expose the EMT/PVC to the hot Texas sun plus the install would look so much cleaner. Since it is AC, want to make sure I wire correctly and check with you guys to see what is acceptable. My AHJ is cryptic here and depends on the inspector coming out so want to do what is least risky.

Comment

Originally posted by capvent View Post
        Thanks for the input Ampster. My connection to combine them is right at the ridge so would be cleaner to go through attic and not expose the EMT/PVC to the hot Texas sun plus the install would look so much cleaner. Since it is AC, want to make sure I wire correctly and check with you guys to see what is acceptable. My AHJ is cryptic here and depends on the inspector coming out so want to do what is least risky.
        AHJ's are cryptic everywhere and in different ways.

In the area of getting things approved, only the AHJ's opinion about what counts.

Folks here may have opinions that may be in agreement with what the AHJ thinks is per code but that matters squat to the inspector.

I've found it's often helpful to call the building inspector's office, describe what you want to do and "ask" specific questions before doing something. Often, they can be quite helpful. If nothing else, doing so often shows you want to cooperate with them and recognize their importance as a resource to help do it right. Stay friendly but still professional. Take notes and get people's names you speak with.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Working...
        X